Rieju & GasGas Legacy Riders Club Forum  

Go Back   Rieju & GasGas Legacy Riders Club Forum > GasGas Enduro Technical Forums > Enduro Chassis & Body

Enduro Chassis & Body Enduro Frame, Plastic, Brakes, Bars, Controls, wheels, tires, sprockets & gearing.

Old 12-04-2013, 12:46 PM

Default When to replace wheel spokes and nipples

Hi so my bikes 15years old and the spokes & nipples are a bit rusty, when should I replace them, do I even need to ? , I got quoted ?400 to renew/ spay the wheels and change the nipples & spokes and have the centres coloured any colour i wanted, I understand there's a fair bit work involved in doing all this,
But if I can get away with just giving them a clean up that would be great.

Cheers for any help

Old 12-04-2013, 02:41 PM
Bronze Level Site Supporter

Default Why $

If they arent bent or too rusted to tighten and keep the wheel true and you don't want to spend the money I'd keep em as is. If the spokes arent bent Spray them with a good penetrant oil liquid wrench etc. let em sit and do it again maybe apply a little heat if they dont come loose but if you have to do that I'd remove tire and rim strip and check for oxidation on the rim + you dont want to melt the strip or tube. I've never heard of decent spokes losing their tension beyond being trued.
Good luck
Stoby
Old 12-04-2013, 04:29 PM

Hi Stoby

Thanks for the advice, I appreciate it !
Old 12-04-2013, 07:45 PM

run a small wrench along them like strumming a guitar string. They should have a pretty nice ring indicating they're tight. If one or more just make a dull thud then it (or they) are loose. I check mine every couple of rides in case one has broken or been damaged but after having tightened them occasionally since new they have never loosened since. If you have to tighten them do them slowly while alternating between the loose ones and don't over-do it at one time. If they won't tighten, then yes, time for a hacksaw and new spokes haha!

My worst lesson for this was a TTR125 I bought new for my son many years ago. It was one month old and while following him it looked like the wheel was gong to separate. Quality... not. We were camping over a holiday weekend in the mountains and it took me about 4hrs with the bike suspended on a block of firewood to get the wheel trued up.

'00 XC250 (mine)
LTS front and rear suspension, power valve cover, carb jet kit and rear chain glide, RB Designs head mod, BRP tall triple clamp, backyard foot-peg lowering conversion.
'04 EC250 (the kids)
(he can do his own mods haha!)
Old 12-05-2013, 12:05 AM

Location: From Swaziland, Now Hamilton New Zealand the “look but don’t touch” enduro heaven

Pretty much what everyone else has said, if you can tighten/loosen the nipples there is no need to change them, if some get loose and you can't tighten them then don't waste any time replacing them or the loose spoke will start wearing the spoke hole on the rim (poss hub as well) and you will then need to replace the rim as well
Old 12-05-2013, 07:16 AM

Cheers for the advice there fellas, going to check to spokes and nipples today ,
Good tip strumming the spokes, and how not to wear the rim out, cheers