Rieju & GasGas Legacy Riders Club Forum  

Go Back   Rieju & GasGas Legacy Riders Club Forum > GasGas Enduro Technical Forums > Enduro Product Reviews

Enduro Product Reviews Feedback & Comments on Products Tested

Old 11-10-2008, 04:52 PM

Default LTR Products

I had this written out and stored in my computer a while back, since then, some @-hole broke into my garage and ripped off my 2002 xc 200 (keep a lookout) but anyway, this is what I had previously written..........

I wanted to share my experience getting my 2002 gas gas XC 200 sorted out over the last few months. First off, I have been riding trials the last 5 years, and started doing more trail riding with some friends lately and decided I needed something with a seat. I purchased the XC 200 in December, in very poor condition, so I immediately tore the bike down and started over. I Sent out my WP forks to Les Tinious (LT racing) for a rebuild/re-valve for my weight, purchased lowering links for the rear, he suggested a different spring for the rear. I Purchased his jet kit, power valve cover, and a heavier flywheel to suit my riding style better. I had never ridden a 200 before so I really did not know what kind of bottom end, lugging power the 200 would have. Some things I read were not real encouraging. I got the bike all back together with all new plastics, and hoped it would run as good as it now looked. My friend and I loaded up the bikes and went out of town to ride for the weekend for its maiden voyage (spare bike on the trailer just in case!) after riding for a little while all I can say is WOW! This Bike rips! The suspension worked awesome and the bike performed great from the midrange on up, but a bit disappointing to a trials guy down low. back at the motel later that night I was thinking how very pleased overall I was with my new bikes performance, but wishing it had more grunt, and I was thinking maybe I was expecting a little too much from a 200. Back out on the trails the next morning I thought I would try to lower the clip a notch to richen the mixture a up a bit, just to see if I could get a little more low end. It was a different bike! Now when I crack open the throttle from down low it bogs and pulls, instead of bogs and slows down. I made a phone call to les and he suggested a richer pilot and return the clip to the center position. He mentioned the 200”s are very finicky on jetting. His kit came with a 45 pilot and eventually I settled on a 50. (This may surprise some people) I would guess there are some people that mistake that low end bog (and falling on its face) for a rich condition when jetting, when in fact the bike is running to lean off idle. With the 50 pilot and the Lt Needle w/ the clip in center groove, this bike makes power everywhere! I am very pleased with the way the bike performs .it grunts up hills at low revs, open the throttle and it revs cleanly and freely, I have never replaced a plug!. You can short shift it through the woods, never getting the motor- hard “on the pipe” making perfect traction and not until you start hammering on the brakes, do you realize you are FLY-I-I-I-NG ! With the suspension working properly and the power getting to the ground, the bike stays hooked up well and is s-o-o-o fast! In closing I would like to thank les in this forum for supplying great products, service and information. He was a pleasure to do business with and I am very pleased with how his expertise has transformed this bikes power range and the handling/suspension. I would urge anyone to contact les if you are not 100% satisfied with the performance of your bike, he is the man to talk to.
Paul Baker
02 gasgas 200 XC (stolen)
04 gasgas 280 pro
05 gasgas ec 250

Old 11-10-2008, 07:00 PM
Gold Level Site Supporter

Nice write up! Les is a great guy and knows his stuff for sure.

Very sorry to hear about you bad luck. I hope your bike is found and those @#$!%$ are punished to the full extent of the law.
Not sure of your location but I will definitely keep my eyes open and will surely notice a yellow Gas Gas around here.

Roscoe

Huge thanks: GAS GAS OFFROAD US, Skagit Powersports, Cycle Gear, LTRacing, Scorpion Racing, users of GasGasrider.org, and CFMC!
Old 11-11-2008, 12:19 AM

Great write up. Thanks. Sorry for you troubles.
Lifes journey is not to arrive safely at the grave in a well preserved body, But rather to skid in sideways totally worn out shouting holy cow what a ride !!!!
Old 11-11-2008, 03:38 PM

Default That SUCKS!

Sorry to hear about your loss... Where are you located? I'm sure we will all keep an eye out for your bike. But, If you are near me, I'll be sure to investigate any GG 200 I see on the trail.

Best of luck in finding the thieving degenerates.

Curt
Old 11-11-2008, 04:53 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BIG TOOL View Post

Sorry to hear about your loss... Where are you located? I'm sure we will all keep an eye out for your bike. But, If you are near me, I'll be sure to investigate any GG 200 I see on the trail.

Best of luck in finding the thieving degenerates.

Curt
Xenia,Oh 30 mi. east of Dayton, Ohio
Thank you
Old 11-11-2008, 08:00 PM

Xenia,, I used to know some guys over at Xenia Power,, the John Deere dealer out that way.. If I see it come out this way in Pa I'll let you know,,
Good luck!
Old 12-09-2008, 05:34 PM

I personally have ridden this 200 that trialsridr had and he is dead on with the transformation this bike made with Les's help. After he made the adjustments to the jetting, pilot and clip this bike turned into a low end pig. I have a 300 and there wasn't a whole lot of difference between the two bikes other than there was just more raw power on bottom end with the 300. I liked his 200 so much I actually went out and bought a 02 EC200 myself and basically had the jetting set up the same way with a heavier flywheel. In my opinion it is the ultimate bike for tight woods riding and I am 6'3 250 lbs and it hauled my big butt around with no problem. I unfortunately sold my 200 because I had to make room for a trials bike but I sure wish I could have kept it. Nice bike!

GHill
Old 12-13-2008, 08:25 PM

I have only ridden a 1999 EC200 and at that time I was riding a 1997 YZ250 with a Stealy Fly-wheel weight, FMF Gnarley pipe and TC spark arrestor. The GasGas impressed me, but not with power. Rather, it was easy to ride and the suspension worked well in stock form. I settled on the 300 for the more open trails I ride on the West Coast. We have TST (tight single track), but much less than you get east of the Mississippi River.

As you found the power charateristics can easily be manipulated for your needs and wants. The biggest bang for the buck I have received is the head modification by RB. In my case I was able to do a strait swap of my stock head with another GGRC member. I gained so much low-end that I had to change my gearing and jetting to tame the beast. But, I now have a bike that is super smooth and rips. I love my 3 stroke.

2005 GasGas EC300 (Ohlins front and rear)
2007 Yamaha FZ1
2003 Pampera 280(hers)