Rieju & GasGas Legacy Riders Club Forum  

Go Back   Rieju & GasGas Legacy Riders Club Forum > GasGas Enduro Technical Forums > Enduro Chassis & Body

Enduro Chassis & Body Enduro Frame, Plastic, Brakes, Bars, Controls, wheels, tires, sprockets & gearing.

Old 10-12-2010, 07:28 PM
Platinum Level Site Supporter

Trevor, no worries and I'm glad to help...My 300 EC has some very loose rear spokes that have frozen nipples (can I say that here?) so I have to do this for myself and it's not doing it by itself sitting in my garage! I've not ridden the bike for a few months and it deserves to be ridden with a good wheel! As a further note, I've already adapted a KX shock to the bike (Ohlins shock from 1997 KX) and it fits fine with different pull rods. I think it works better than the stock shock! I also plan to put on a KX KYB shock and try that later this month...I'll post those results on another thread!

Eric

2003 KX/KDX 220 hybrid
2021 Kawasaki KRX 1000 Trail Edition
1974-86 Vintage Can Ams, SWMs, Puchs, etc.

Old 10-13-2010, 07:45 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ScottyR View Post
I am looking for some replacement rims for an EC300. Does anyone know if another brand crosses over with a late model Gasser?
GasGas rims are not interchangeable with any of the jap bikes or KTM because the spoke pattern is different (if you look at a set of four adjacent spokes one spoke will go in the opposite direction when compared to a KX wheel).
Old 10-13-2010, 09:33 AM
Silver Level Site Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by gasser View Post
GasGas rims are not interchangeable with any of the jap bikes or KTM because the spoke pattern is different (if you look at a set of four adjacent spokes one spoke will go in the opposite direction when compared to a KX wheel).
Will any of the hubs you tried fit the the swingarm and match up with the brake caliper and sprocket alignment.
That would be a good find, because then we could get a complete whee at a reasonable price from DNA or pro wheel.
We should all work on trying to find another wheel source...mabye ask some friends to try a quick swap see if anything is a close match.
Old 10-13-2010, 09:50 AM

I have a spare GG wheel I'll measure tonight.
Old 10-13-2010, 12:19 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by moto9 View Post
Will any of the hubs you tried fit the the swingarm and match up with the brake caliper and sprocket alignment.
That would be a good find, because then we could get a complete whee at a reasonable price from DNA or pro wheel.
We should all work on trying to find another wheel source...mabye ask some friends to try a quick swap see if anything is a close match.
Moto 9 I toyed with the idea of lacing up some new rims to my bike to add some bling but a quick call to the importer of EXCEL rims shot down my hopes of doing it on the cheap. While they do make rims for GasGAS bikes they did not have any on their factory seconds or clearance lists. I didn't much believe the guy when he told me the GG wheels were different so I put a KDX wheel next to my gasser and sure nuff they are. Every forth hole for the nipple is drilled at a completely different angle than on jap bikes. Different hubs would have the same problem since they have to match the spoke pattern of the wheel.
DNA will make wheels for your gasser if you send them the hubs to measure or provide your own measurements. They need distance to inside of the sprocket and brake disc from wheel center line and they also need axle diameter. They would also need measurement of the inside of the swingarm and measurement from wheel center to outside of each wheel spacer.
Old 10-13-2010, 12:22 PM
Gold Level Site Supporter

Call these guys http://www.radmfg.com/
Old 10-14-2010, 10:16 PM
Silver Level Site Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nick View Post
Call these guys http://www.radmfg.com/
Good Idea, someone will have to call them...nothing listed for GG and they don't list an email address.

If we we could find a wheel that bolted up from another manufacture, we could get that wheel from Rad or other sources.
Old 10-15-2010, 04:23 AM

Always a good plan to have alternatives. In my case for now anyway, I'd like to just get a rim, as I have a bunch of sprockets and rotors that I would hate to waste. Is the rim only available through GoFasters, or may it be obtained from DID and/or Takasago Excel directly? List is $229 from GF.
Old 10-15-2010, 03:07 PM
Gold Level Site Supporter

I sent a set of wheels to RAD a couple of years ago so they already know what it takes. I havent bought any for a GG from them though.
Old 10-15-2010, 03:58 PM

I measured a spare rear wheel, here goes:

rotor mount surface to sprocket mount surface(across hub) - 150mm
rotor side spacer surface to rotor surface - 3mm
sprocket side spacer surface to sprocket surface - 7mm
axel OD - 20mm

For reference:
rotor thickness - 4mm
sprocket thickness - 6.5mm

You guys with some other brand bikes/wheels measure up and see where we stand. Start with a KTM, a guy here a few years ago had an MC250 and a 250SX and he claimed the KTM wheel fit with custom spacers. Could be BS but lets see. Spacers are the easy part, not worth worrying about.