Rieju & GasGas Legacy Riders Club Forum  

Go Back   Rieju & GasGas Legacy Riders Club Forum > GasGas Enduro Technical Forums > Enduro Engine - 2 stroke

Enduro Engine - 2 stroke Cylinder, Piston, Tranny, Bearings, Clutch, Pipes & Silencers, etc.

Old 07-01-2017, 06:07 PM

Default Water pump shaft issue. Bearing spun?

Hi guys

2011 ec 300. Just did the piston and power valve. When I took apart the case halfs I took the water pump shaft out. The plastic gear is worn where the cogs meet the metal drive gear so I plan on replacing it. The water pump shaft surface where it meets the inboard case bearing looks like it's been spun. What's funny is the inner bearing surface looks fine and the bearing moves free and smooth. When I insert the shaft into the inboard bearing it seems like there is some slop/wiggle room. Has anyone seen this? Should I be worried about this?

Normally I wouldn't mind just replacing it but where I live it takes forever to get parts if I can get them at all.

Pics to follow shortly as soon as I can get the photos from my phone onto the forum

Old 07-01-2017, 06:35 PM
Platinum Level Site Supporter

Historically, the shaft gets worn from the seal, maybe that's the culprit? Regardless, if you are replacing anything in the waterpump, replace the shaft and seal at the same time for security and piece of mind. The bearing is just that, so if it's dodgy replace it, but if it's smooth, it should be good to go.
Old 07-01-2017, 07:39 PM

thanks for the reply phil,

here is the picture. you can see where the shaft is darker which indicates it may be grinding on the inner bearing. it just seems strange that the bearing surface appears mint. im a little puzzled about how this problem could have happened and not sure if i should be worried.
i guess i should wait and get a new gear, shaft and seal, and hell a new impeller while im at it.
unfortunately, my guess is, its gonna take at least a couple weeks to get these parts gonna miss half the summers riding.

must find peace :P
Attached Images
File Type: jpg waterpump shaft.jpg (71.6 KB, 34 views)
Old 07-01-2017, 11:31 PM
Bronze Level Site Supporter

I have a new impeller seal kit I never used if you can't get one from a shop
2007 Beta Rev 3 270
2007 KTM 200 XC Wife's

Public Lands belong to the Public
Old 07-02-2017, 09:43 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by gassybill View Post

here is the picture. you can see where the shaft is darker which indicates it may be grinding on the inner bearing. it just seems strange that the bearing surface appears mint. im a little puzzled about how this problem could have happened and not sure if i should be worried.
i guess i should wait and get a new gear, shaft and seal, and hell a new impeller while im at it.
unfortunately, my guess is, its gonna take at least a couple weeks to get these parts gonna miss half the summers riding.

Interesting, indeed. I wonder if it was like that "as new," and you are just seeing it for the first time?
Old 07-02-2017, 10:01 AM

Thumbs up

Quote:

Why does it take you so long to get parts? If you don't have a stocking dealer (who has the parts in stock) in Canada who will ship to you, is it a problem to have packages shipped from the US to Canada? The parts you need are readily available in the US.
'11 Gas Gas EC250 (primary ride)
'06 Gas Gas DE300
2004 Gas Gas TXT300 Pro
'94 Husaberg FE350
'86 Yamaha IT200
'86 Honda TRL200 Reflex
'04 KTM 525EXC (soon to be dual sported)
Several others, including project bikes, Deb's bike, and a fleet of grandkids' bikes

Let's go riding!
http://www.jebruns.com/Wudi19/wudi19.html
http://www.ahrma.org/schedules-results/cross-country/
Old 07-03-2017, 12:37 AM

husley,

thanks ill let you know if my parts quest doesnt go well.

New theory on the damage. Talked to a mechanic friend of mine. His suggestion is, maybe from the several times the bike flipped over and got stuck on WOT(this has happened maybe 5 times for 10 seconds ish each time) the inboard shaft bearing didnt get oil and heated up and seized, and the shaft spun in it. judging by the melted cogs, this part of the bike has been screaming hot. perhaps the shaft was a lesser metal than the inner bearing race. Since i bought the motion pro throttle cable this doesnt happen. also it seems like ive been crashing less lately XD

Either way my new plan is to just replace the whole waterpump assembly. inner bearing, outer bearing, shaft, plastic gear, seal. since im going as far as i am, might as well do the whole thing. considering getting a metal impeller.

regarding parts, as of right now its been 12 days waiting for just the plastic gear. will check on its ETA on tuesday since ive discovered the shaft damage i will now order the rest of the parts on tuesday. it just doesnt seem to work like the yamaha dealer where you order a part and you get it in 3 to 5 business days.

As far as getting parts from the USA goes, its a crap shoot. sometimes things get through from the USA at a great speed great price, no BS, Sometimes things are expensive to ship and get stuck at the boarder for a long time or i pay some extra fee in one way or the other.

If i do try to order parts from the USA i was thinking of trying gasgaspartsguy

Thanks for your imput guys
Old 07-03-2017, 03:45 AM

Location: From Swaziland, Now Hamilton New Zealand the “look but don’t touch” enduro heaven

Quote:
husley,

thanks ill let you know if my parts quest doesnt go well.

New theory on the damage. Talked to a mechanic friend of mine. His suggestion is, maybe from the several times the bike flipped over and got stuck on WOT(this has happened maybe 5 times for 10 seconds ish each time) the inboard shaft bearing didnt get oil and heated up and seized, and the shaft spun in it. judging by the melted cogs, this part of the bike has been screaming hot. perhaps the shaft was a lesser metal than the inner bearing race. Since i bought the motion pro throttle cable this doesnt happen. also it seems like ive been crashing less lately XD

Either way my new plan is to just replace the whole waterpump assembly. inner bearing, outer bearing, shaft, plastic gear, seal. since im going as far as i am, might as well do the whole thing. considering getting a metal impeller.

regarding parts, as of right now its been 12 days waiting for just the plastic gear. will check on its ETA on tuesday since ive discovered the shaft damage i will now order the rest of the parts on tuesday. it just doesnt seem to work like the yamaha dealer where you order a part and you get it in 3 to 5 business days.

As far as getting parts from the USA goes, its a crap shoot. sometimes things get through from the USA at a great speed great price, no BS, Sometimes things are expensive to ship and get stuck at the boarder for a long time or i pay some extra fee in one way or the other.

If i do try to order parts from the USA i was thinking of trying gasgaspartsguy

Thanks for your imput guys
and i can get parts from motocrosscenter delivered to my door in the smallest african monarchy in less than 2 weeks! What is this first world thing you talk of?? ;-)

(but with our internet speeds it may be quicker to get them delivered than to download specs of the parts lol)

Last edited by swazi_matt; 07-03-2017 at 09:59 AM.