Rieju & GasGas Legacy Riders Club Forum  

Go Back   Rieju & GasGas Legacy Riders Club Forum > General Forums > General Discussions & Announcements

General Discussions & Announcements General Announcements, General Questions, e.g. What bike do I buy?, etc.

Old 03-25-2019, 12:17 PM

Default New GG owner, Old bike tho

I just bought a 98 EC250 from a bud. Rode it last year, loved it. Much more nimble than my 82 XR500R that I have had for 18 years LOL. As you can gather, I am not a hard rider, and up here in central British Columbia, the riding season is split, with snowmobiling. SO my bikes last. But I will be asking, and needing help with this one. I am seeing not alot changes through the years. But some things do. Right now, it will be taking care of the simple things, New air filter(Who, what fits?) bearings, oil changes etc etc.
Pics to come later as I am away for work

Old 03-25-2019, 03:03 PM
Silver Level Site Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Banditpowdercoat View Post
I just bought a 98 EC250 from a bud. Rode it last year, loved it. Much more nimble than my 82 XR500R that I have had for 18 years LOL. As you can gather, I am not a hard rider, and up here in central British Columbia, the riding season is split, with snowmobiling. SO my bikes last. But I will be asking, and needing help with this one. I am seeing not alot changes through the years. But some things do. Right now, it will be taking care of the simple things, New air filter(Who, what fits?) bearings, oil changes etc etc.
Pics to come later as I am away for work

Looking forward to the pics! Welcome to GasGas and the forum!!

Don't quote me on this. My knowledge is better with the newer bikes, but IIRC the air filter is the same as mid 90's Honda CR250 or CR500 (I know I run a GasGas filter in my CR500 but I can't remember from which year)

I'd recommend giving Lang's Offroad a call. Canadian owned, and run by a guy who rides the bikes that he sells, Craig or Rob will be glad to help you.
Feel free to tell them GasGas Rick sent you! https://langsoffroad.com/
They usually have everything from sprockets and air filters, to gasket kits and pistons, to exhaust pipes and skidplates in stock for nearly every GasGas.
With free shipping across Canada over $50 and US shipping for any non-OEM parts even the Yank's could benefit from the strength of their dollar buying from Lang's.

Last edited by CDN Rick; 03-26-2019 at 09:01 AM.
Old 03-25-2019, 10:27 PM

Thx for the advice Rick. Bookmarked their site now.
Old 03-25-2019, 10:30 PM

Oh and this the only pic I got when bud came and delivered it Friday.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 257CBF66-8002-4499-B132-1AF3E9FB563B.jpg (76.8 KB, 38 views)
Old 03-25-2019, 11:48 PM

Many people use 'Twin Air' air filters, good quality and reasonable price, check their website for the required part number, then search online, eBay, etc. to purchase.

https://www.twinair.com/

Use a good quality, fully synthetic 2 stroke oil mixed at 50:1

Do you know how many hours the piston/rings have done? Would be good to know.

When I bought my old/used EC300 I fitted a new piston kit and also an hour meter.

On my rear suspension linkages, the bearings and seals were all worn/damaged so had to replace them. Something worth checking/regreasing on older bikes.

Have fun with it!
Old 03-26-2019, 12:02 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Davehuge View Post
Many people use 'Twin Air' air filters...
That's in Europe, not sure if Twin Air products are readily available in Canada and USA?
Old 03-26-2019, 04:48 AM
Gold Level Site Supporter

Thumbs up

On my '01 XC 200, an '01 Honda CR 250 air filter is a direct fit. IMO, you can't do better than Twin Air. Yes, they are available on this side of the pond.

RB
Old 03-26-2019, 08:58 AM
Silver Level Site Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Davehuge View Post
That's in Europe, not sure if Twin Air products are readily available in Canada and USA?
TwinAir is available in Canada. However they make the filters for Apico, and Apico sells them for less than TwinAir. So a lot of us who are Lang's Offroad customers run Apico when possible now.
Old 03-26-2019, 08:07 PM

I will be emailing Langs shortly for one. Already found the swingarm and linkage bearings from All Balls. One thing I don;t know is brand of fork? It's a Ohlins rear, but not sure on fork as the oldest manual I have found is for 2003. There regular right side up forks, with blue compression knob on left, rebound knob on right stanchion. Left fork seal is weaping a little.
Prev owner was a fat kid, 250 or more in street clothes. I am 200. He changed springs, but kept the stock ones. I know the rear is cranked up to much, no bike sag and only 40mm or so with my arse on it. It is cranked down over 3/4 way on adjuster, so may just try loosen a bit before I replace. I ride single track, and overgrown forestry roads, washouts etc. Basically anywhere in the BC Canada Mountians. Not at bike parks or tracks.
Old 03-27-2019, 05:13 AM

Default Forks

You have Marzocchi conventional front forks.