Rieju & GasGas Legacy Riders Club Forum  

Go Back   Rieju & GasGas Legacy Riders Club Forum > GasGas Enduro Technical Forums > Enduro Electrical & Wiring

Enduro Electrical & Wiring Lighting, Ignition, Wiring, Plugs, etc.

Old 03-25-2019, 04:13 PM
Silver Level Site Supporter

The advantage of removing the entire ignition cover is that you can then remove the bendix, poke it into the bore on the Bendix cover and fiddle it about with your fingers in an attempt to identify too little clearance. That is the idea anyway. But I wasn?t actually able to determine anything except that I thought it felt ok but was actually too bound up.

But perhaps my technique is flawed....

But you also get a chance to have a good look at all the bits inside the case.

Old 03-25-2019, 05:40 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by distortion10 View Post
Thanks for the vid. What?s the benefit of removing the ignition cover besides the finger test? Now that it?s a known issue does it make sense to forgo removing the ignition cover and go straight to the bendix cover? Polish it, reinstall and ride?

It?d save me the cost of a new ignition cover gasket.....course I?d just by 6 pack of beer with that money. lol. But still.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Yeah there?s no other point in removing the ignition cover other than doing the test, the only benefit would be to see if that was your actual issue or not. If the gear turns easily you have an issue somewhere else. But I suppose you would know that if you polished the bendix cover and it still didn?t work. So just remove the bendix cover and polish away!
Old 03-25-2019, 05:46 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ssaulnier View Post
Nice Video, thanks for adding to this thread!

When I performed that finger spinning test of the Bendix gear I did not notice any significant drag. But apparently my fingers are not calibrated very well, because after polishing the Bendix bore in the Bendix cover and freshening up the grease my starter now functions properly.
It wasn?t a huge difference but definitely noticeable. Before polishing I could turn it with enough pressure. After polishing it took barely any pressure at all. Just my experience
Old 03-25-2019, 09:21 PM

Let?s try a test. Before you take anything apart charge up your battery 100% and then grab your wife?s hair dryer or a manly heat gun and warm up the Bendix cover until it is warm to the touch like it has been sitting in the summer sun. This should expand the Bendix bore in the outer case and if that is your problem the bike should start ok with this warmed up cover.

If the bike starts we can assume that there is a excess friction so removing the Bendix cover only and polishing the bore with a felt dremel pad and then applying some fresh grease should sort your starter.

I would do myself but didn?t think of it soon enough and now my starter actually works. Crap 💩
Old 03-25-2019, 09:43 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by GG221 View Post
Yeah there?s no other point in removing the ignition cover other than doing the test, the only benefit would be to see if that was your actual issue or not. If the gear turns easily you have an issue somewhere else. But I suppose you would know that if you polished the bendix cover and it still didn?t work. So just remove the bendix cover and polish away!

Cool. I have the bendix cover gasket so I’ll polish it up and let y’all know if it gets the bike start better in when gear. Since completing the full starting system wire upgrade it’ll start every time in neutral hot or cold but in gear is hit or miss. Hopefully this is the final silver bullet for the starter gremlins.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Old 03-28-2019, 04:52 PM

I'm not sure if anyone mentioned this problem so I'll post it for the good of the cause. I was helping a friend with his 2018 300 after his starter began making horrible noises. He thought it might be do to the recent addition of a squish mod for race fuel but it turned out to be a wear issue. After 80 hours on the bike the small bendix cover that serves as a support bushing for the smallest gear had worn and the hole was elongated. This was easy to spot and would cause the small gear to try to walk over the top of the fine gear teeth on the bendix. I'd suggest removing the cover every other oil change and putting a dab of grease in the hole.
Old 03-28-2019, 05:34 PM

Good suggestion about regularly greasing the Bendix cover bore. Did your buddy machine his worn cover to accept a bushing or just buy a new cover?
Old 03-28-2019, 08:12 PM

Yes that is a good idea but that?s a lot of gaskets.
Old 03-29-2019, 09:56 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ssaulnier View Post
Good suggestion about regularly greasing the Bendix cover bore. Did your buddy machine his worn cover to accept a bushing or just buy a new cover?
The covers are out of stock so he is looking at either machining it for a bushing or bearing. I guess if he can't get that done he will kick start it until he can get a new one.

GASGAS took the old KTM design that never worked and copied it. lol. By design changing the direction of the drive 90 degrees it's always going to have power robbing problems.
Old 03-29-2019, 09:58 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by GG221 View Post
Yes that is a good idea but that?s a lot of gaskets.
Grease one side of the gasket and use high tack on the other side and it will come off without tearing and you can use it over and over.