Rieju & GasGas Legacy Riders Club Forum  

Go Back   Rieju & GasGas Legacy Riders Club Forum > General Forums > General Discussions & Announcements

General Discussions & Announcements General Announcements, General Questions, e.g. What bike do I buy?, etc.

Old 07-27-2006, 06:43 PM
Super Moderator

Angry AMA pushing away from time keeping enduros

The AMA is pushing away from time keeping enduros. It's going to be another GNCC type series.
-------------------------------------------------------------------
To AMA National Enduro Promoters,

I am pleased to announce that the AMA is going to work with the National Enduro Promotions Group (NEPG) to increase the visibility of the series and the number of riders participating in Enduros. Alan Randt is the driving force behind the NEPG and brings a tremendous amount of experience as a successful businessman, promoter and racer to the group. The NEPG will be made up of Enduro riders, clubs and manufacturers to represent all interests and to build the Enduro discipline back to the stature it deserves in American off-road riding.

We value all of our clubs that host Nationals and I hope we can count on you again in 2007 to work with the AMA and the NEPG to evolve the sport of Enduro to the next level to meet our riders’ needs. We are proposing several changes to the Enduro National series to attract the OEM’s support back to the series as well as new riders including the Youth segment. Some of the most fundamental changes will involve using the Start Control format and running the event on a closed course. The “time keeping� aspect intimidates many new riders and the cost of a computer can be one more reason to choose another sport besides Enduro. The fact that motorcycles are being illegally modified to be street legal has kept the OEM’s away; the closed course will eliminate the need for lights and registration not to mention allowing the Youth segment to ride the course.

The NEPG will also be providing a series referee to begin creating the consistency from event to event that is needed to elevate the series to true National status. As we secure more sponsor’s the NEPG will be promoting the series to the fans and racers through print media. This is just the tip of the iceberg in terms of opportunities for us to save and build our sport.

I know that no one likes change, but I am asking that you keep an open mind for 2007 and support this effort and help to build the sport. Enduro rider participation has been steadily dropping while other off-road disciplines are increasing. We need to meet our customers’ needs just like any business of face the prospect of dwindling participation.

Feel free to contact myself at (614) 856-1900 x1245 or Alan at (517) 393-2421with any questions you may have. Please remember to get your 2007 Sanctions in by August 4.

Thank you!

Chuck Weir
Off-Road Racing Manager
American Motorcyclist Association

Old 07-27-2006, 08:03 PM

I prefer the euro format enduros, so to me it is a winner.
Old 07-27-2006, 08:09 PM

The '06 Leadbelt National used this format. I prefer timekeeping events.
Old 07-28-2006, 10:34 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by tm_enduro
I prefer the euro format enduros, so to me it is a winner.
Me too... I heard a standard 24 MPH average for the entire course possibel. Enduro's a great, that is to ride for a whole day and the breaks are welcome...
Old 07-28-2006, 02:09 PM

I figured the true enduro would die someday due to land issues and or the EPA restrictions, but not this soon. That sucks, I like the timekeeping, it makes it a thinking man's game.
Old 07-28-2006, 06:10 PM
Super Moderator

The "experienced" enduro riders may not like it, but I think it is much more rider friendly. One reason I have not got into enduros yet was the time keeping aspect. I would rather have longer trails with special tests like the "euro" format. Hare Scrambles don't really interest me due to their shorter laps with a more "mx" style format. Up to now, I was in a divided situation. The new enduro format is a great compromise which will now get me entered in a race.
Old 07-28-2006, 07:51 PM
Silver Level Site Supporter

I posted this at www.nedirtbikes.com.

The sentiment is that it will kill enduros in New England. We just don't have the real estate to hold a closed course enduro.
Old 07-28-2006, 08:56 PM

Thumbs down

Yes, more often than not public land/roads are needed for transit sections. In fact, before the explosion of lawsuits, ECEA enduros in NJ had far more private land available and used less roads, now the roads are needed to connect whats left.

Only 1 of 18 ECEA enduros is closed course, and that was done simply because the event was completely contained in a state park anyway. The club gets a special permit and the park roads are closed for the day, so unlicensed bikes are now eligable, BUT, the course and format is the same as in the past.

In some areas it may work, those with more land can adopt the format and still have a good course. Not here. It may evolve into a multi-loop short course format, like a big harescramble with checkpoints.

For a small densely populated state, we have a damn good enduro series that has produced some very fast riders. The Sandy Lane Enduro is the oldest enduro in the US. It would suck to loose this tradition. I'm sure the NETRA
guys feel the same way.
Old 07-29-2006, 07:34 AM

I think I speak for the majority of riders in the BJEC, "let the Euros keep their format". Mo Mudders, the club running the Leadbelt National, have indicated they may take the event off of the National series if there is strong enough feedback from the BJEC membership.

Last edited by Dave; 07-29-2006 at 09:39 AM.
Old 07-29-2006, 09:10 AM
Site Sponsor

Calling a National Enduro a "closed course event" does not mean that you can't run a National Enduro on public roads. It means that if a club chooses to run part of their National Enduro course on public roads then a special permit, most likely a parade permit, would have to be obtained to allow non licensed competitive motorcycles to use the public roadways as a transfer section.

By calling an enduro a closed course event the AMA and NEPG are only trying to get support back from the manufacturers who are ultimately worried about being sued over allowing their most competive "closed course machines" to be raced on "open courses" ie. public roads.

I agree that a "24 mile-an-hour time keeping format with secret checks" is what makes American style enduros intersting. That format could still be used if the riders and clubs push the AMA and NPEG to maintain secret checks in appropriate sections of their courses.

Let's face it the National Enduro series needs support from the manufacturers and the AMA and NEPG are only trying to get back that support.

Steve Berkner