Rieju & GasGas Legacy Riders Club Forum  

Go Back   Rieju & GasGas Legacy Riders Club Forum > GasGas Enduro Technical Forums > Enduro Product Reviews

Enduro Product Reviews Feedback & Comments on Products Tested

Old 11-12-2012, 12:10 PM

I'm about to spring for the Smart Carb, but have a question about the "improvements" of the cast unit. Specifically the check valves.
I understand that this is to prevent the float bowl from emptying into the bike's engine should the bike wind up upside-down for a prolonged period of time.
However, that would be just one float bowl's worth of fuel. So the bike gets flooded: it happens from time to time with a standard carb anyway. No big deal. Unless the result is a cursing kick-fest every time the bike is on its side for the slightest amount of time.

Question: Are check-valves more of a potential failure point than a solution to a real problem?
I guess what I'm really asking is, is that improvement really worth waiting for?

Old 11-12-2012, 07:16 PM

Just out of curiosity, is there a "real" group buy in the works? I've read the entire thread and I may of missed it. I've seen several people say to put them on the list but I haven't seen it. That being said, I'f we can get special pricing on the cast version then I'm in for a 38mm. Please elaborate for me. Thanks.
Old 11-12-2012, 07:29 PM

There is no official group buy and associated discount. Assume the approximate stated price. Right now we are just getting numbers and when the time comes hopefully a better price based on those numbers.
Old 11-12-2012, 07:53 PM

Or at least we may be FIRST in line. I just got in and the brown truck had dropped off my SmartCarb . Just took it out the box and I can where they get the asking price; very high quality looking piece . If it works half as good as it looks.....I'm gonna be a happy biker. Thanks! BTW it will be bolted on and tested tomorrow.
Old 11-12-2012, 07:57 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by john01 View Post
Or at least we may be FIRST in line. I just got in and the brown truck had dropped off my SmartCarb . Just took it out the box and I can where they get the asking price; very high quality looking piece . If it works half as good as it looks.....I'm gonna be a happy biker. Thanks! BTW it will be bolted on and tested tomorrow.
Sweet, I'll be looking forward to your evaluation.
Old 11-12-2012, 08:01 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by andoman View Post
I'm about to spring for the Smart Carb, but have a question about the "improvements" of the cast unit. Specifically the check valves.
I understand that this is to prevent the float bowl from emptying into the bike's engine should the bike wind up upside-down for a prolonged period of time.
However, that would be just one float bowl's worth of fuel. So the bike gets flooded: it happens from time to time with a standard carb anyway. No big deal. Unless the result is a cursing kick-fest every time the bike is on its side for the slightest amount of time.

Question: Are check-valves more of a potential failure point than a solution to a real problem?
I guess what I'm really asking is, is that improvement really worth waiting for?
it isnt just the float bowl fuel,if the bike is upside down your going to continue leaking fuel. this can end up being a lot of lost fuel at the end of a 5 or 6 hour mountain ride, could cost you walking out because of running out of fuel which has happened to my buddies a few times.maybe not such a huge concern to others but to me is a value add on for the riding i do and the off chance i end up battling that gnarly hill for an hour spending fuel everytime i dont make it.just my 2 cents
Old 11-12-2012, 10:03 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Colemanian View Post
Sweet, I'll be looking forward to your evaluation.
I'll get it bolted on tomorrow for sure but may have to do the ride report on Wed.; rain tomorrow.
Old 11-13-2012, 07:38 AM

What? You afraid to get wet?
Old 11-13-2012, 12:06 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by GMP View Post
My bikes have always started easier doing that after sitting in a cold garage with dry carbs, so its not necessarily a Smart Carb only thing, although it may be more sensitive.

Corey, Am I correct in assuming that the die cast body will more closely approximate the size of the Keihin and eliminate or greately reduce any fitment issues?
Yes we are working diligently to make the SmartCarb as easy a fit as possible.

Corey
Old 11-13-2012, 12:13 PM

Thumbs up

Quote:
Originally Posted by GMP View Post
What? You afraid to get wet?
Yep . Well that was plan....to bolt on the SmartCarb, at least see if the bike would start, and idle in the garage. Well once the bike fired up (3-4 kicks) and set there with the best purring idle it's ever had.....I HAD put on the helment and go for some test rides in my back pasture. My bike started life in 2008 as a Husky CR125. It's grown a little like me and is now 165 cc's. I made sure the bike was warm and went for some med-high speed blast. I adjusted the settings 3 turns richer and for now (until it's dry) I'm going to leave it alone. The bike feels AWESOME! Idles perfect, spins up better/faster than it did in 125 trim, pulls like crazy, and the throttle response is so crisp and clean it feels FI. I'm not much of a writer/reporter but honestly this SmartCarb exceeds my expectations by a LOT! My bike pulls so quick and clean now it doesn't even feel like the same bike; unreal. LOL my son hates the rain more than me but he had to ride it after seeing how much fun I was having. His response was "WOW this thing now spins up in a hurry"! He also said " it has a much much cleaner, sharper, and responsive throttle response; feels FI now". He loves it. His bike is a 2011 TM250Mx with RB carb and head work so he's not easy to impress. Anyway guys this is the short report I promised with more to follow...when it's dry . Thanks again for getting the word out on the SmartCarb. Awesome product! BTW it fit my bike like a glove no problems there.