Rieju & GasGas Legacy Riders Club Forum  

Go Back   Rieju & GasGas Legacy Riders Club Forum > GasGas Enduro Technical Forums > Enduro Product Reviews

Enduro Product Reviews Feedback & Comments on Products Tested

Old 02-10-2013, 09:32 PM

From the drawings it appears that the APT is close in size to a PWK Air Stryker I. What is confusing to me is that the cast AND billet Smartcarbs have the same dimensions per the drawings. This was not supposed to be the case, correct?

Old 02-10-2013, 10:11 PM

Default throttle cable

I ordered a cast smart carb, while we all wait, i have a question.

What throttle cable would be optimal for the smart carb? I ask this because it appears that the carb can come with a variety of different interfaces for the throttle on the top. So do you order it with a stock gasgas cable type cable interface, or something else, maybe something more optimal.
Old 02-11-2013, 09:24 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by IDAHOSPUD View Post
I ordered a cast smart carb, while we all wait, i have a question.

What throttle cable would be optimal for the smart carb? I ask this because it appears that the carb can come with a variety of different interfaces for the throttle on the top. So do you order it with a stock gasgas cable type cable interface, or something else, maybe something more optimal.
The cap is threaded to accept either our cable guide, which is supplied, the OEM Keihin or Mikuni cable guide, or a threaded end Motion-Pro cable. Cable lengths are closer to stock with new attachment point in the slide and a new cable retainer.
Old 02-11-2013, 09:27 AM
Platinum Level Site Supporter

Cool Smart carb length

I'm with GMP on this as well. I remember reading they would be made shorter.

IDAHOSPUD you may want to try the motoin pro t-3
Old 02-11-2013, 09:32 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by john r b View Post

Thanks for the recommend.
Old 02-11-2013, 10:38 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by john r b View Post

They are shorter...by .5mm Right, not funny for guys with bikes that don't have much room. Sorry Rick. We all wish the OEM's would stick with something common across the board, but with links, no links, linear's, progressive's it will never end.

Investment casting will not allow collapsible tooling for the slide cavity, thus we were not able to shorten the carb as much as we like this time. Permanent mold tooling will allow us to move material around to make for shorter spigots. The area under the slide will never change because of the signal we are able to generate with the current geometry. Airflow doesn't care what we want. Red Edmonston always used to say you have to work with mother nature and she's an ornery old b!+ch.

GasGas prefers the added length and said they always felt the longer Keihin PJ based PWK striker I added power down low over the striker II. We know it does for the SC.

Last edited by Corey; 02-11-2013 at 07:50 PM.
Old 02-11-2013, 12:22 PM

It sure seems that the longer Air Stryker I is a lot less of a PIA than the II, as far as dialing it in.

My '12 with '13 tank is more roomy over the carb than my '07, FWIW. I don't think any GG application will be a big problem. Perhaps it may require heating and reforming the airboot a bit, but that disaster of a part has been the same for years. A good opportunity for a change at the factory to a more reasonable compound.
Old 02-11-2013, 12:55 PM

Singletracker,

I have been dealing with this for a few weeks working VERY close with the Lectron guys. It will not work. The YZ carb is same carb as the Husky's have, TMXx, 38mm, 76mm overall.

The guys at Lectron are super, Kevin has gone above and beyond to help me and I can't say enough about them. Great customer service...hands down!

I am not bashing, bad mouthing or anything like that, it just is not ment to be shoehorned into that little space. With the APT it is the same thing, overall it is too long.

I'm not mad, it is what it is!

I pickup up a RB 38mm mod carb TMXx with all the bells and goodies over the weekend, that is what I used and raced with yesterday. WOW! What a monster that is! Improved lowend, however made the mid hit a bit harder, super strong over the non-mod carb! Same jetting as I was running!

I will stick with what I have for now in Yamaha, the GG 200, not sure what I am going to do yet!

All I can say is, if anyone is going to swap out a carb, make sure it is going to fit, both heights and lenghts, if you are using an over sized tanks??? Check before you buy!

Again, please don't take my posts with regarding the Lectron the wrong way, super great guys, excellent customer service and willing to help as long as it is do-able! and in my case, not really do-able!

Thanks
Attached Images
File Type: jpg On the Gas!!!.jpg (128.0 KB, 35 views)
AMA D36
375X
OTHG
375S

***Thanks for the support : Twin Air /O'Neil Racing / Race 100% / Matrix Concepts / ODI / Mika Metals

Last edited by Rick; 02-11-2013 at 01:27 PM. Reason: opps
Old 02-11-2013, 08:14 PM

That's cool. It sounds like you've found something that works great for the Yamaha.
Old 02-11-2013, 08:48 PM

Rick
I just ordered a 36mm for a 05 yz250, should I expect issues too?