Rieju & GasGas Legacy Riders Club Forum  

Go Back   Rieju & GasGas Legacy Riders Club Forum > GasGas Enduro Technical Forums > Enduro Engine - 2 stroke

Enduro Engine - 2 stroke Cylinder, Piston, Tranny, Bearings, Clutch, Pipes & Silencers, etc.

Old 09-19-2011, 03:16 PM

Default little help on frame mount for exhaust?

Hi all,
could someone please tell me how the exhaust mount attaches to the inside of the frame?
Mine has taken a few knocks and it seems much looser than it should.
I can easly push it in towards the tank and what ever "pin" is suppoed to go into the frame comes out.
Is this pin supposed to thread into the frame? (Im talking about the mount in the bottom left in photo below). Could the thread have been stripped?
And is it necessary to take the tank off to access this?
(sorry for the basic quetion)

Old 09-19-2011, 03:36 PM

My 2001 model has a mount there which is a piece of rubber sandwiched between two metal tabs. One tab bolts to the inside of the frame, the other tab to the pipe. Yes, you probably need to pull the tank to see the inside bolt.

My sandwich came undone, so I drilled it and bolted the sandwich together. Never had a problem since, but the mount is a few grams heavier now. You might have a loose bolt on the inside, or maybe a broken mount.

Hope this helps.
Old 09-19-2011, 04:29 PM

There's a captive nut or rivet nut in a hole in the frame. The top of the exhaust mount bolts to that. It can fall out if the bike gets knocked around too much.
Old 09-19-2011, 04:35 PM

Check that the bracket is not broken at the frame end as was the case with mine.

i suspect you could reach the bracket frame bolt with tank on but I had my tank off at the time so no help. Real easy with tank off though.

Can't believe how much these brackets cost, I paid $37.50 AUD for one...... !!
Old 09-19-2011, 07:23 PM
Bronze Level Site Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by noobi View Post
There's a captive nut or rivet nut in a hole in the frame. The top of the exhaust mount bolts to that. It can fall out if the bike gets knocked around too much.
This is correct. It is a rivnut. These are an internally threaded tube which is inserted into the hole in the frame. They are compressed and a portion of the tube gets squeezed inside the hole - kinda like a pop rivet. My one came out, I MIG'd it in. No problem with little bursts - the frame is a chrome-moly and welds relatively easily.
You will need to take off the seat and tank.
Old 09-19-2011, 10:23 PM
Super Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by GGEvo View Post
Check that the bracket is not broken at the frame end as was the case with mine.

i suspect you could reach the bracket frame bolt with tank on but I had my tank off at the time so no help. Real easy with tank off though.

Can't believe how much these brackets cost, I paid $37.50 AUD for one...... !!
Suck hairy ones! Strangely enough my bike has broke 2 of these where they bolt to the frame. Snapped through the hole, and a 3rd one that sheered the rubber from the metal. Don't know how. Never taken any big hits to the pipe or anything. I'm currently running without one. Still seems stable enough.

PS. The 2 I had replaced cost me $0.00
Old 09-19-2011, 11:42 PM

I'm not sure if it's the thread-sert like the ones in the Husky subframe that you are talking about but if so this is the fix. http://www.toolking.com/astro-pneuma...rivet-nut-kit/ When the insert spins or falls out it's usually because it didn't get put in tight enough to begin with. I bought this tool and retightened the inserts in my Husky subframe and they aren't going anywhere now. (problem solved) this is a really good tool to have if you are fabricating anything that requires a nut in a blind hole or a hard to get to place that you can't get a wrench in to back up a nut.
Old 09-20-2011, 10:17 AM

we don't use the upper mount on either of our bikes. They break almost as fast as you can install them plus the older year bikes had issues with the bolt rubbing a hole in the fuel tank. I have met other GG riders that have removed it also. If you really want to replace it Honda uses the same piece so you can probably find it at the local dealer.

'00 XC250 (mine)
LTS front and rear suspension, power valve cover, carb jet kit and rear chain glide, RB Designs head mod, BRP tall triple clamp, backyard foot-peg lowering conversion.
'04 EC250 (the kids)
(he can do his own mods haha!)
Old 09-20-2011, 01:13 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jostby View Post
plus the older year bikes had issues with the bolt rubbing a hole in the fuel tank. .
I formed a piece of copper and epoxied it to the tank at the rub spot.
Old 10-02-2011, 02:18 PM

Thanks all for the help.

Yes, turns out I had both problems, 1st the loose exhaust mount then the hole int the tank!
Need a new insert in the frame and a filler for the tank.
Thats that sorted now. Next job my lights aren't working?