Rieju & GasGas Legacy Riders Club Forum  

Go Back   Rieju & GasGas Legacy Riders Club Forum > Classified Advertisements > Used Bikes

Used Bikes Used Bikes For Sale - No Part Outs

Old 04-09-2015, 08:10 AM

Also to consider is the fact that the 250 has a normal clutch while the 300 does have the Rekluse. Having never used a Rekluse its difficult to understand the differences, as well as the effect on riding. I like the idea of riding the 300 a gear up, and "cheating," though how does one "cheat" when on the trails. Isn't being on the bike with your buds a form of "cheating?"

I appreciate the suggestions and recommendations from the forum, it's fantastic to know there are like minded individuals out there willing to share.

Dalbertog

Old 04-09-2015, 03:09 PM
Gold Level Site Supporter

The rekluse is a personal option. But I love it on the trails. I am not a fast guy so it helps me on the corners so The bike won't stall. And other good think is that you can always go back to the regular clutch is you don't like it.
Old 04-11-2015, 02:20 PM
Bronze Level Site Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by dalbertog View Post
Well, I don't consider myself a noobie, I've been riding 15 years now, and can handle 95% of whats out there. However my riding style is a little slower, more determined versus charging up a hill or flying from corner to corner. I like the gnarliest stuff and the wide open stuff. We primarily ride the old logging trails in central NY, and the Thomaston Dam facility. Both of which offer tight, twisty, wet, snotty, rocky, rooty trails. I'm also considering a hare scrambles or two. There's one in Tuxedo, NY which looks like fun. But again, the main idea is to have fun and keep the mojo going. I really would like to up the offer to ride a 250 and 300, but that is seeming ever more impossible.

Again, any and all advise, comments or thoughts are greatly appreciated, its very difficult to decide when making decisions off of website photos.

D. Garcia

CATRA (upstate NY) has a great Hare Scramble called the Black Fly that you should consider.

I absolutely love my 300. I spent a lot of time on a 125 and 250 2-stroke as well and would not hesitate to get another 300. They have a fantastic amount of torque and when you set them up right they pull like a tractor, but it's still a 2-stroke so you have to keep your wits about you when you ride it.

So to sum it up I have spent years riding in upstate NY, VT, Central OR and now SW Colorado and my next bike will be another 300.

That said I think that the quote in my signature block fits your situation quite well.
Old 04-11-2015, 04:46 PM

Well said. I appreciate your thoughts on the subject. I'm leaning more towards the 250, primarily out of financial reasons.

I will look up CATRA and check out the Blackfly, who knows, maybe I'll see you there.

Dalbertog
Old 04-12-2015, 11:06 AM

Swazi, almost anything in this category bike will be a distinct improvement all across the board when compared to the XT. While the XT is a fine bike an many respects and serves its purposes well, there is a threshold/barrier it cannot cross. The GasGas does so many other things the XT simply does not.
Old 04-12-2015, 12:24 PM
Gold Level Site Supporter

OK, here's my .02 .... having lived in USNY, owned both the 250/300 [GG & KTM], read your evaluation of your own riding style and your last post that you will get the 250 due to $$. This is my suggestion and reasoning.

You will end up with a 300.

The 250GG has a more linear [electric like] bottom into the mid power curve where it transforms into a mx'er type of "hit" from mid to top. WOT can get you into trouble in the tight stuff.

The 300 is linear through out with a mild "controllable hit" as you approach WOT. On fast transfer sections, the front wheel usually stays about 1-2ft off the ground in 4th-6th with WOT throttle input. A little slip of the clutch will loft the front over obstacles with ease in the lower gears. Think of the 300 as the perfect balance and the 250 a smother less violent MX power curve.

An auto clutch would make the 250 more forgiving as it will stall more quickly than the 300.

I went from a converted MX 250 to a KTM 300, then GG250 and finally the GG300. As I got older, my riding style changed [mostly due to lack of time for training as my kids became more active], I went from a fairly quick, gear banger to a more deliberate, smoother less hard in, clutch dump out of the turn style. That is when switched from the MXer to the pupmkin 300 [2001], I loved the engine, but hated the suspension/ergo's of it. I had ridden the bike 3yrs earlier and liked it, so when my buddy got a new on, I bought it. After six months I thought I needed to go back to a 250, and jumped at a friends GG250 [2001] when he put it up for sale.
I really liked the handling/ergo's and power. The only problem was that it did require more "work" to ride than that 300 did. More like my old 250, which my "style" no longer worked with. Even though I felt more comfortable on it, I was actually slower. A year later, that same friend was bitten by the DualSport bug and since our state would not tag his GG300, I bought it.
Best decision so far. It is a 2003 model and has been the easiest bike to ride that I have ever had in the woods. As I get older and slower [near 50] I find that the seems to be better suited to a more decisive/deliberate riding style, not saying that it can't handle a quicker style, just that it is more forgiving to mistakes.

I can only imagine that the newer bikes are worlds better and I am sure that if you contact Rod Overstreet, he will get you hooked up with what ever demo you want in your area.

Perhaps you would do better to buy an older model 250 to see if you like it or not, you can resell it for what you paid [plenty of deals out there] and then you will have an easier time shelling out the cash for a new one without the "hit" on resale value.

In closing, I will repeat ... your described riding style suggests that you will end up with a 300cc bike.