Rieju & GasGas Legacy Riders Club Forum  

Go Back   Rieju & GasGas Legacy Riders Club Forum > General Forums > Off Road Racer's Corner

Off Road Racer's Corner ISDE, Enduro, Hare Scrambles, etc.

Old 11-12-2009, 08:08 PM
Gold Level Site Supporter

Default ISDE qualifiers

Looking for someone nearby (Western Oregon or SW Washington) to share a trip to Missouri and Idaho with to help make it more affordable. Just a feeler so far.
I think we could take the box van, but I'm not exactly sure what makes the most sense for camping. The "box van" is an old Wonder Bread van body, highly modified and bolted to an early '90s Dodge 4x4 Cummins diesel with 35" tires on it. It should return close to 20mpg over the road, and will carry lots of stuff. Living in it may be less fun though. We could also tow my travel trailer with my Ford F250 with a V10, but it's not exacly economical to drive. However, camping in my travel trailer is the high life comparably speaking. If we had a total of three folks pitching in for fuel and camping costs, it could be reasonably cheap.

OMRA #21AA
What will I be riding next? Christini GG 300?
'15 KTM 300 XC-W
'08 EC 250 (Gone to new happy owner)
Gran Prix Cycle
LTR Suspension
RB-Designs

Old 11-13-2009, 01:10 AM
Administrator

Do they have dates on the qualifiers yet? Or are you just expecting the same approx schedule as last year? Missouri in late april and Idaho City in Late may?

I plugged it into google and trip to missouri from my home in portland is 2150 miles - assuming 65 mph average - that's 33 hours of driving...

jeff
Old 11-13-2009, 10:42 AM

Why both??.....Idaho seems much closer? Do you need to qualify at both events? Just thinking out loud!
AMA D36
375X
OTHG
375S

***Thanks for the support : Twin Air /O'Neil Racing / Race 100% / Matrix Concepts / ODI / Mika Metals
Old 11-13-2009, 02:24 PM
Administrator

He is just increasing his odds - they take top 3 in each class from each event, etc. - except for senior class where they take class winners from each event plus one "wild card".

If he were to make top 3 in class in Missouri then he wouldn't have to ride Idaho... If he misses it in missouri or has a mishap then he has Idaho as a backup. They used to take best of your top 2 or 4 days (there used to be more then just 2 qualifiers years ago...).

Roostafish - what class are you riding?

jeff
Old 11-13-2009, 02:51 PM

Thanks for the clarification. Jeff
AMA D36
375X
OTHG
375S

***Thanks for the support : Twin Air /O'Neil Racing / Race 100% / Matrix Concepts / ODI / Mika Metals
Old 11-14-2009, 08:42 PM

Riding E-3. If there's an over 40 option, I'll take it.

This may not set well with the GG faithful here, but I have a chance to ride a KTM for free for the year. The catch?? I give it back after my racing, whether I qualify, or after the six days. It sits on the shelf for sale at a discounted price, one that he won't lose money on, and I pay flooring until it sells.

I don't know how good of a deal that is honestly, so I'm thinking about it. Drawback #2. I don't get to pick. I ride what he wants me to ride. No idea what that might be, but he's no dummy, and has helped lots of ISDE riders.

No schedule yet, just going off of last year.
OMRA #21AA
'15 KTM 300 XC-W
Gran Prix Cycle
LTR Suspension
RB-Designs

Last edited by roostafish; 11-14-2009 at 08:43 PM. Reason: added answer to schedule question.
Old 11-17-2009, 12:12 PM
Administrator

There was a senior class last year and I assume there will be one this year as well (40+). Winner is taken from each qualifier - last year Matt Stavish won Idaho and Chilly White won in Missouri... Add one wild card rider to make 3 person senior team - seems like they pick the best qualified 2nd place rider in this class. Your best shot will be in senior class.

jeff
Old 11-18-2009, 01:04 AM
Administrator

Hey Mike,
I can definitely do the Idaho City portion of the trip with you.

We can take my truck and new truck camper - sleeps two very comfortably and it has toilet, shower, heat and AC. I can tow my 6 X 10 enclosed wells cargo behind the truck/camper combo with a short extension on the hitch. I have a nice pop-up to take along.

I am toying with the idea of doing Missouri with ya too - but man that's a long way to go. The thought of it made me start working out in the gym at work - so it can't be all bad...

jeff
Old 11-19-2009, 08:03 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by webmaster View Post
I am toying with the idea of doing Missouri with ya too - but man that's a long way to go. The thought of it made me start working out in the gym at work - so it can't be all bad...

jeff

You've got the bug! There are some folks here that don't even ride dirt bikes that are talking like they'd like to go. Funny. I didn't get this kind of response when I was doing this all the time.

I do have the best shot in the senior class I'm sure, but my pal Dennis Sweeten went back East two years ago and won the friggin E-3 class. Yup, 1st place, the bastard. He rode E-3 in Greece. I have no such compunction that I would place so high, he's a better rider than I am, and the former national #4 in trials, in their pro class whatever that's called. He can do amazing trials like stuff on a giant four stroke. Humiliating actually. He rode a 300 in Greece, threatening to ride a 250F this time.
OMRA #21AA
'15 KTM 300 XC-W
Gran Prix Cycle
LTR Suspension
RB-Designs
Old 11-20-2009, 07:38 AM

I used to ride trials with Dennis when I lived in the area. The first year he got involved with trials he was riding either Expert or Championship class by the end of the year (can't remember). I think he was already riding Advanced by his 2nd competition. Nice guy and a very gifted rider.

'00 XC250 (mine)
LTS front and rear suspension, power valve cover, carb jet kit and rear chain glide, RB Designs head mod, BRP tall triple clamp, backyard foot-peg lowering conversion.
'04 EC250 (the kids)
(he can do his own mods haha!)