Rieju & GasGas Legacy Riders Club Forum  

Go Back   Rieju & GasGas Legacy Riders Club Forum > General Forums > General Discussions & Announcements

General Discussions & Announcements General Announcements, General Questions, e.g. What bike do I buy?, etc.

Old 11-17-2017, 08:35 AM
Silver Level Site Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Andi73 View Post
Thanks a lot once again. Since my bike is a fourstroke, its pretty simple.
It should be a EC300F from 2013 then.
HAHA. Not sure why I assumed 2T.. Lol. That helps sort that out at least.

AFAIK there was no 2012 300F. And all the 2014's came with a Reiger rear shock.

Old 11-17-2017, 02:18 PM
Platinum Level Site Supporter

Thumbs up

Quote:
Originally Posted by Andi73 View Post
I have just bought a Gasgas EC300 and I am struggeling to figure out the model year from the VIN code: VTRFS30A0P0520014

I was told that this is a 2013 model, but I am not sure. Can anyone help me out with decoding this?

/Anders
Hi Anders,
I am more comfortable with the VIN of the older bikes, but I can tell you that the VIN starting with VTRFS is a 4-stroke VIN.
Having said that, I can also say that starting in 2002, GasGas designated the year model by the letter used for the 10th digit. 2002 was the "C" year.
What I don't know, was if GasGas skipped any letters as it worked it's way through the alphabet, or not.
If they didn't skip any letters through the years (someone else with better knowledge of the subject will have to chime in here for us to be sure), then the "P" (tenth digit) in your VIN would designate a 2015. If they skipped one letter in their designations, then the "P" would indicate a 2014; and if they skipped two letters, the "P" would be a 2013.

The numbers at the end of your VIN designate the run number of the bike. (It's order in manufacture of that model for that year.)

I know it doesn't help you much, but I just got back around a computer after a couple of days away, and haven't had time to do any further research. I will chime in when I find out more solid info.

I would love to have a GasGas chassis with a Yamaha 300cc 4-stroke engine. That is one great combination.

Good Riding!
Jim

'11 Gas Gas EC250 (primary ride)
'06 Gas Gas DE300
2004 Gas Gas TXT300 Pro
'94 Husaberg FE350
'86 Yamaha IT200
'86 Honda TRL200 Reflex
'04 KTM 525EXC (soon to be dual sported)
Several others, including project bikes, Deb's bike, and a fleet of grandkids' bikes

Let's go riding!
http://www.jebruns.com/Wudi19/wudi19.html
http://www.ahrma.org/schedules-results/cross-country/
Old 11-17-2017, 11:38 PM
Silver Level Site Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jim Cook View Post
Hi Anders,
I am more comfortable with the VIN of the older bikes, but I can tell you that the VIN starting with VTRFS is a 4-stroke VIN.
Having said that, I can also say that starting in 2002, GasGas designated the year model by the letter used for the 10th digit. 2002 was the "C" year.
What I don't know, was if GasGas skipped any letters as it worked it's way through the alphabet, or not.
If they didn't skip any letters through the years (someone else with better knowledge of the subject will have to chime in here for us to be sure), then the "P" (tenth digit) in your VIN would designate a 2015. If they skipped one letter in their designations, then the "P" would indicate a 2014; and if they skipped two letters, the "P" would be a 2013.

The numbers at the end of your VIN designate the run number of the bike. (It's order in manufacture of that model for that year.)

I know it doesn't help you much, but I just got back around a computer after a couple of days away, and haven't had time to do any further research. I will chime in when I find out more solid info.

I would love to have a GasGas chassis with a Yamaha 300cc 4-stroke engine. That is one great combination.

Good Riding!
Jim

Odd.... Because of this convo I just checked the VIN on my 2012... And the 10th is a "C". That makes no sense. I'm 100% sure my bike is a 2012 EC300 Racing. Both the VIN stamped into the headstock and sticker on the frame near the headstock both have the identical VIN. The frame has never been painted or modified.

The VIN is VTRECH2CXCG400102
Old 08-25-2018, 02:39 PM

I apologize for bringing up an old thread but I am thinking about buying an old GG. Owner says it is a 99 EC250.

Vin is VTRXC259905990027
Radiator says EC25 99J05991083.

There is no headlight, just a MX style front plate. He says it has a lighting coil and a spare fender not on bike has a small taillight.

I'm looking an enduro bike like a GG EC, KTM XC-W, Husqvarna TE. Not a cross country. Not looking street legal, just pure enduro.

Can someone help me with this guys? It appears it is an XC250 but then radiator says EC25.

Help!!
Old 08-25-2018, 08:48 PM

If I recall, most of those GasGas models imported into the States around that time were sort of a mix. They had the smaller alternator of the MX bike, but some of the plastics of the enduro model?
(I?m going from memory, so I may be mixing up model names).

I had a GasGas200 that has the enduro model name, but small lighting coils etc.
I bought a heavier flywheel alternator with the higher output coils- if you buy that bike and want the lighting and flywheel weight. (Well, I think it will fit the 250 also?)
Old 08-25-2018, 08:51 PM

I did some looking.
I had a 2000 200 EC- although it was a mix if XC and EC like I was told the US models had then.

Here is a picture:

http://www.gasgasrider.org/forum/sho...600#post168600
Old 08-26-2018, 10:40 PM

Thumbs up

Quote:
Originally Posted by flatout111 View Post
I apologize for bringing up an old thread but I am thinking about buying an old GG. Owner says it is a 99 EC250.

Vin is VTRXC259905990027
Radiator says EC25 99J05991083.

There is no headlight, just a MX style front plate. He says it has a lighting coil and a spare fender not on bike has a small taillight.

I'm looking an enduro bike like a GG EC, KTM XC-W, Husqvarna TE. Not a cross country. Not looking street legal, just pure enduro.

Can someone help me with this guys? It appears it is an XC250 but then radiator says EC25.

Help!!
You have a '99 US only model; one of the early ones. It started off as a 250. The XC frame had no steering head lock. That was the only difference between it and the regular EC frame.
The rest of the differences of the XC were the absence of a lot of the street legal gear and part of the wiring and switches. They came with the smaller ignition with the 35 watt lighting coil.

What can we help you with?
'06 Gas Gas DE300
2004 Gas Gas TXT300 Pro
'94 Husaberg FE350
'86 Yamaha IT200
'86 Honda TRL200 Reflex
Several others, including project bikes, Deb's bike, and a fleet of grandkids' bikes

Let's go riding!
Old 08-28-2018, 03:19 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jim Cook View Post
You have a '99 US only model; one of the early ones. It started off as a 250. The XC frame had no steering head lock. That was the only difference between it and the regular EC frame.
The rest of the differences of the XC were the absence of a lot of the street legal gear and part of the wiring and switches. They came with the smaller ignition with the 35 watt lighting coil.

What can we help you with?
Thank you, Jim.

Basically whoever had it removed the kickstand but I think the bracket is still there. I am wanting to pick up an older enduro bike to test out some real nasty rocks and hill climbs. In other words, something I won't worry about if it gets kinda wrecked. But I do mainly slow riding. And want soft suspension. I would prefer a 300 but this is what I have located kinda cheap. I am basically wanting to know if this bike is tuned as Enduro (for example a XC-W) or is this more cross country (example KTM XC).

I'm trying to see if it is what I want or sorta what I want. I'm already sacrificing on the 300 to 250 but if it isn't a true enduro and is more cross country I may not get it as I have to put a kickstand, headlight and handguards on it and again looking somewhat of a beater.

Thanks!
Old 08-30-2018, 10:28 AM

Thumbs up

Quote:
Originally Posted by flatout111 View Post
Thank you, Jim.

Basically whoever had it removed the kickstand but I think the bracket is still there. I am wanting to pick up an older enduro bike to test out some real nasty rocks and hill climbs. In other words, something I won't worry about if it gets kinda wrecked. But I do mainly slow riding. And want soft suspension. I would prefer a 300 but this is what I have located kinda cheap. I am basically wanting to know if this bike is tuned as Enduro (for example a XC-W) or is this more cross country (example KTM XC).

I'm trying to see if it is what I want or sorta what I want. I'm already sacrificing on the 300 to 250 but if it isn't a true enduro and is more cross country I may not get it as I have to put a kickstand, headlight and handguards on it and again looking somewhat of a beater.

Thanks!
The stock 250 and the stock 300 engines produce almost identical peak hp. The difference is in low end torque, but the GasGas 250 still has really good low end torque. It's just that the old 300 is a "stump puller" in stock form.
I have had no problems running either one in rugged single track climbs.

The bike was designed to be exactly what you are looking for. Gas Gas bikes have always been in their true element when the going gets gnarly.
I've been riding them for 21 years now; the first 13 years as a serious enduro and hare scrambles competitor.

Although the stock power is sweet, power delivery is easily tuned for your preferences with various items like intake spacers, exhaust pipe and silencer choice, oversized powervalve covers, flywheel weight addition, and jetting.
A G2 adjustable throttle is always useful to me. (I like a slow turn throttle.)

The stock lighting coil will power lights, etc.
A 300 jug, head, and piston will bolt on the bike with no modification. They are not hard to find.

The kickstand bracket is the hard part to find, used. The rest of the kickstand is easy to find used.

What would make it or break it with this bike for me would be the condition, and how much I would need to spend to make it right for me.

If you get the bike, send me a message, and we can talk about what you wish to change, or achieve with the bike. I'll be happy to help you in any way that I can.

Good Riding!
Jim

'06 Gas Gas DE300
2004 Gas Gas TXT300 Pro
'94 Husaberg FE350
'86 Yamaha IT200
'86 Honda TRL200 Reflex

Let's go riding!
Old 09-03-2018, 07:10 PM

Having trouble figuring the year of my gas gas ec250 plz help an what the t stand for in the ec250t