Rieju & GasGas Legacy Riders Club Forum  

Go Back   Rieju & GasGas Legacy Riders Club Forum > GasGas Enduro Technical Forums > Enduro Intake/Carburetion - 2 stroke

Enduro Intake/Carburetion - 2 stroke Jetting, Reeds, Air Filters, etc.

Old 08-05-2017, 07:13 PM

thanks for the reply jakobi

I didn't realize that i may be better off not expecting it to idle in gear without dying.

Ive seen tutorials on checking squish clearance. ive always just hoped that i wouldnt have to do this on my bike but i guess its time.

I dont know how to check for a vacuum leak but ill see what i can find on existing posts.

i suppose correct order of operations will be to set the idle first, then the rekluse

Old 08-05-2017, 11:31 PM
Super Moderator

If I had an auto clutch I'd expect it to idle.
Pretty much all OEM engines have excessive squish clearances; it's not Gas Gas specific.
I don't think you have a vacuum leak. Vacuum signal was in relation to the intake charge/velocity, impacting on the carbs ability to pick up fuel from the jets at low revs.

Make sure you always work with the engine at operating temp, a clear oiled air filter, fresh fuel, and a spark plug that is gapped correctly and not caked in carbon.

Get the bike to idle nicely in neutral as your first step. You want to be able to apply some throttle and have the revs drop back down and find the steady idle. Going leaner it'll want to hang and race for a bit. Too rich it'll flame out and stall.

Once you have it doing that nicely with the idle screw nice and low you can start bumping the idle up a bit to find the idle you require in gear, still paying attention to make sure your revs drop nicely.
Old 08-06-2017, 08:14 PM

So it turns out that JDs jetting was pretty good.
My theory is that my auto clutch wedges were wearing out or were the wrong weight.

I replaced the 11b wedges with 12a wedges. i believe that the heavier wedges will let the engine spin a little faster before engaging and therefore will allow it to not stall.

On account of im not a great mechanic i was having trouble telling between my clutch issues and my jet issues. it was especially difficult when i was having both at the same time.

Bike isnt running perfect now, but its not stalling now, and its rideable.
next step is fine tuning.

Thanks to everyone who offered advice
Special thanks to Jakobi a fountain of wisdom
Old 08-06-2017, 11:11 PM
Platinum Level Site Supporter

Thumbs up

Jakobi gives pretty good advice.
I use a 42 pilot on my 2011 EC250 with a 175 main until I get into a hare scramble in the cold weather. Then, I go to a 178. I don't use the JD kit, though. I've had lots of jetting situations and issues with the GasGas bikes, but I've never had a stalling problem from backing off the gas at low throttle settings.

To clarify on the vacuum leak:
A vacuum leak would be an air leak.
To check for a leak, have the bike idling, and then spray a flammable mist (starting fluid, etc) starting at the carb, and then working towards the cylinder. If you don't find a leak, pull the ignition cover and spray behind the flywheel/stator. Except for the cylinder base gasket, that is about it for possible leaks.

Good Riding and Wrenching to You!
'11 Gas Gas EC250 (primary ride)
'06 Gas Gas DE300
2004 Gas Gas TXT300 Pro
'94 Husaberg FE350
'86 Yamaha IT200
'86 Honda TRL200 Reflex
'04 KTM 525EXC (soon to be dual sported)
Several others, including project bikes, Deb's bike, and a fleet of grandkids' bikes

Let's go riding!
http://www.jebruns.com/Wudi19/wudi19.html
http://www.ahrma.org/schedules-results/cross-country/