Rieju & GasGas Legacy Riders Club Forum  

Go Back   Rieju & GasGas Legacy Riders Club Forum > GasGas Enduro Technical Forums > Enduro Intake/Carburetion - 2 stroke

Enduro Intake/Carburetion - 2 stroke Jetting, Reeds, Air Filters, etc.

Old 08-24-2019, 12:54 PM

Soi took the carb of to see if I had changed the pj and to confirm witch position the needle clip was in.

Turns out it was in the middle clip, so I moved it to the top clip.

But I also figured since the carb is off why check on the reeds, and this is what I found. Two of the reed petals have small chips in them.

So I’ll be changing those out before going any farther.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Old 08-24-2019, 02:02 PM

The reeds aren't the reason why it fouls plugs.

Try a correct and brand new spark plug. When did it start to foul plugs? What was the last change/last maintenance you did before ut started to foul plugs.

I assume the air filter is clean. How old is the fuel in the tank? Which kind of gas are you using?
Old 08-24-2019, 02:18 PM

I?m not sure what you mean by correct spark plug. Every time I foul a plug I put in a brand new ngk br8eg plug.

Gas is fresh and air cleaner is clean and oiled.
Old 08-24-2019, 02:25 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by muddertrucker View Post
I?m not sure what you mean by correct spark plug. Every time I foul a plug I put in a brand new ngk br8eg plug.

Gas is fresh and air cleaner is clean and oiled.
As you mentioned the two different spark types of your kids bikes I assumed that you run those for testing and they fouled. But BR8EG is the correct spark. If it fouls the problem lies somewhere else. Did you change the oil type recently?

My GP fouled at least 1 plug per hour until JD advised me not to use Amsoil Saber anymore. I didnt believe him and changed all components of the ignition system. All! Including stator and ECU. Nothing helped. After talking directly with Amsoil I changed the oil and it never fouled a plug again in the next 80 hours. Strange things can happen... That's why I asked plug, gas and oil type.
Old 08-24-2019, 02:36 PM

I use pump gas, always use supreme which is 91 octane if I remember correctly. It?s mixed 50:1 with amsoil interceptor( have been running this in every 2stroke I own for over 10 years)

When I mentioned the other plugs it was only because I figured if the coil from those bikes were strong enough to power them it should be able to fire the plug on my bike. Once the reeds comes in going to test it out with a new clip position and donor coil.
Old 08-24-2019, 04:01 PM
Gold Level Site Supporter

Change the reeds now before they get worse is good idea but not bad enough to notice, yet.

1 position on needle can make quite a difference depending on the needle so you have to trial
'22 765 Street Triple RS
'21 XTrainer
'69 Stinger T125 Suzuki
'23 TRS 250RR (it's a Trials thing)
Old 08-25-2019, 04:59 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by muddertrucker View Post
I use pump gas, always use supreme which is 91 octane if I remember correctly. It?s mixed 50:1 with amsoil interceptor( have been running this in every 2stroke I own for over 10 years)

When I mentioned the other plugs it was only because I figured if the coil from those bikes were strong enough to power them it should be able to fire the plug on my bike. Once the reeds comes in going to test it out with a new clip position and donor coil.
Interceptor is perfect, its not the oil. If you said Saber I'd suggested to change it.

Yop, got it now. The coil will work with no problems. I also tried one from a KTM and it worked.

Good luck! Pls keep us informed.
Old 09-22-2019, 07:38 PM

So, i swapped in the new reeds, changed the needle from a jd blue to a NECW and lowered the float level a bit (i know I said i'd change one thing at a time).

The throtle is very response from 0 to 1/4 and the power is smooth and steady throughout the powerband. I tried it in the woods at first but since hunting season is at our door i did not want to spend too much time out there and decided to hit a small private track we have acces to. Since I always ride with my kids, the woods is usualy slower speed stuff. I found the transition of going from +/- 1/4 to wot was slugish when done with a quick snap of the throtle but if I slowly (2 seconds) roled onto it it was fine. It sounded similar to when the engine is first started up and still cold.

Once we got to the track I did not have to follow my kids, I could go my own speed (wich isnt that fast), the engine ran great the whole time and i did not foul a plug. I had a little bit of spooge on the inside edge of the muffler at the end of the day.

So my current setup is 40 pj 165 mj and NECW 3rd clip. I did not play with the airscrew. I'm thinking of going up one clip position on the needle.

On a side note, my oldest son (12 yo) is having a freaking blast on his recently purchased 2014 kx 85. It is simply amazing seeing him blast through the trails with that thing and pop wheelies or make small jumps off of everything he can. I alway thought those little bikes where not made for trails but he is proving me wrong and it wont be long until I cant keep up with him anymore. His little brother (8 yo) inherited the kx 65 and is learning to cope with using the clutch in the woods, not an easy task but it wont be long. He wont even look at his KTM50 anymore.
Old 09-22-2019, 07:52 PM
Gold Level Site Supporter

Cool
Glad it is getting there. Try clip position/s then adjust idle mixture for best, decide if need to try different pilot.

Steep long uphills should tell you if the float level is too low. If no problems there it's ok. If it falters you are low on gas at an angle in high load.

Then think about wide open. 165 is quite small so I'd want to try size up and see if it's better wide open. If so, size up try.
'22 765 Street Triple RS
'21 XTrainer
'69 Stinger T125 Suzuki
'23 TRS 250RR (it's a Trials thing)
Old 09-23-2019, 06:06 AM
Super Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by (F5) View Post
Cool
Glad it is getting there. Try clip position/s then adjust idle mixture for best, decide if need to try different pilot.

Steep long uphills should tell you if the float level is too low. If no problems there it's ok. If it falters you are low on gas at an angle in high load.

Then think about wide open. 165 is quite small so I'd want to try size up and see if it's better wide open. If so, size up try.
That's what I'm thinking from above too. If going WOT early feels flat/lean throw a bigger jet in it.