Rieju & GasGas Legacy Riders Club Forum  

Go Back   Rieju & GasGas Legacy Riders Club Forum > General Forums > Ride Reports

Ride Reports Tell us all the gorey details!

Old 04-30-2011, 05:24 PM

Default 250 vs 300 back to back comparison

I got a chance to ride with my brother yesterday, him with his '03 EC250 and me with my '05 DE300. We switched for a couple of miles and got a good chance to do a real comparison.

Impressions:

EC250: Revs quicker and feels like you have to reign it in a bit more. You can definitely feel the "hit" and it feels faster from point A to point B.

DE300: More linear power delivery with a more torquey feel. More thumper like and smooth.

Another weird thing we noticed was my '05 feels much smaller and quicker turning compared to his '03. I really wasnt expecting that, but chassis change maybe between '03 and '05?

Both great bikes, but the 300 seems to fit me better and I think it will work really well in the tight stuff.

Old 04-30-2011, 07:03 PM

That about sums it up. Yes, the '05 frame was a big improvement over the '03.
Old 05-01-2011, 02:51 PM

I was surprised by the chassis difference. It was very noticeable. His '03 feels long and slower turning. It also feels spread out and tall. My '05 feels like a mini-bike in comparison. I love the small bike feel and the flickablility.

I was very pleased with the DE as well and had upon initial purchase had been concerned with the 2k2 and and thought it might be too quickly reving and would not have enough flywheel effect. But, I love the power delivery and dont think I would want it any slower reving.
Old 05-01-2011, 05:02 PM

So does it feel like the kdx as far as compact and turning ability.
Old 05-01-2011, 06:16 PM

Great question concerning the KDX.

I have owned a couple of KDX's and my son now rides one. I rode last weekend back to back on his KDX and would say that the Gasgas feels similar in terms of size, but is way more agile and better turning. I would imagine that the benefit of better suspension, ergos and just an overall updated design make it quicker turning and more agile.
Old 05-01-2011, 07:14 PM
Bronze Level Site Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by firffighter View Post
Great question concerning the KDX.

I have owned a couple of KDX's and my son now rides one. I rode last weekend back to back on his KDX and would say that the Gasgas feels similar in terms of size, but is way more agile and better turning. I would imagine that the benefit of better suspension, ergos and just an overall updated design make it quicker turning and more agile.
I had been riding KDX's for 6 or 7 years before my Gasgas, and agree with firffighter. The Gasser feels more agile and turns better. The KDX's suffered from lots of rebound in their forks - the gasser is much easier to hold a line on off cambered corners or sections of trail, where the KDX would find itself slipping lower and lower down the slope. I really liked the KDX but I like the gasgas more! Also, the power all through the rev range is so much more than the KDX and I feel this helps the Gasags feel much more alive and flickable.
Old 05-01-2011, 07:52 PM

I'm thinking about a ec 200 my kdx has had the fork convesion to 47mm showa twin chambers and is sprung and revalved to my weight and riding preferences I'm wondering how it compares to the modified kdx.
Old 05-01-2011, 10:45 PM
Bronze Level Site Supporter

I have only briefly ridden an EC200. I have a 250. I felt the 200 had considerably less power all over than my 250 and just wasn't as much fun to ride. I found swapping from a KDX for a 250 Gasgas is definately a big improvement, but swapping for a 200 Gasser may not be quite as "worthwhile".
Old 05-02-2011, 12:40 PM

kdxtreme,

I can probably be of help here. I owned a very highly modded KDX220 and 2 KTM 200exc's.

On the KDX, I had done a KX125 fork swap and had them revalved for woods, I had done the RB head and carb mod and had changed the ergos by adding aftermarket tall pegs, SDG tall seat, woods bars, etc. I loved that KDX! It was a very effective woods machine. It has a smooth power delivery and is just snappy enough to be effective in the woods. It can be ridden a bit lazier.

The KTM 200's are very nice bikes. Very snappy power delivery and an absolute hoot to ride. They keep you busy though. You have to be active, especially in the tight woods. It rewards and aggressive rider.

Comparison between the 2 IMO, are that the modded KDX makes a better tight woods machine. The power delivery is more linear and smooth and it puts power to the ground better than the KTM 200. The KTM 200 has much better ergos is quicker reacting and more agile.

I have never owned a Gasgas 200, but would assume it would be closer to the KTM than the KDX in terms of power, ergos and agility.

I feel the Gasgas 300 is closer to the modded KDX in terms of ease to ride, but has many more advantages as discussed above.

Hope this helps.
Old 05-02-2011, 09:20 PM

I have a 07 ktm 300 I got the kdx in november and I like the 200 motor better it has made me ride more agressive by far also i like how you sit in the bike instead of sitting on top like on the ktm we ride some pretty tight stuff and some flowing stuff check out some of PEB s videos. I still want to ride one to see if it would work or not.