Rieju & GasGas Legacy Riders Club Forum  

Go Back   Rieju & GasGas Legacy Riders Club Forum > General Forums > General Discussions & Announcements

General Discussions & Announcements General Announcements, General Questions, e.g. What bike do I buy?, etc.

Old 05-18-2010, 02:23 PM

Thumbs up E85 fuel

does anyone use it and if so what are there results? tuning wise what needs to be done on 2t and 4t

Old 05-18-2010, 04:07 PM

Ethanol is not a good thing. Alcohol attracts water and destroys certain types of rubber. With Ethanol you will always have water in your fuel.
As far as tuning, run fatter jetting. Ethanol runs lean.
2010 GasGas EC 300 Nambotin Replica #141
2006 Honda XR650R Supermoto
Old 05-18-2010, 04:50 PM
Super Moderator

Our gas here in Houston has 10% ethanol.
I ran this in my 2001 Gas Gas.
The bike sat for 3 months and the complete cylinder,rings, power valve were all gummed up and rusty looking. The piston was totally siezed up in the cylinder.
Old 05-18-2010, 05:12 PM
Gold Level Site Supporter

E85 Es no bueno. If that's all that is available, the bike will run on it, but you'd be best served to drain the tank and carb completely. Aviation fuel isn't that much more money than plain ol petrol and it's more consistent.
OMRA #21AA
What will I be riding next? Christini GG 300?
'15 KTM 300 XC-W
'08 EC 250 (Gone to new happy owner)
Gran Prix Cycle
LTR Suspension
RB-Designs
Old 05-18-2010, 06:02 PM

Try it and tell us!
In the automotive world it equals less horsepower and less miles per gallon. I'm unsure what the benefits are at all. It is supposed to create less emissions but if you are creating more exhaust per mile I don't see where that does anything except help the farmers that grow the corn (and etc) that it's made from. Why would you want to run it?

'00 XC250 (mine)
LTS front and rear suspension, power valve cover, carb jet kit and rear chain glide, RB Designs head mod, BRP tall triple clamp, backyard foot-peg lowering conversion.
'04 EC250 (the kids)
(he can do his own mods haha!)
Old 05-18-2010, 07:52 PM

sorry to steal the thread but....
going off that idea of less mpg=just as much emissions, i have watched and researched alot, and have found something almost comical in how stupid our government is. here goes:
My brother bought a 1966 ford F100 with a 3 speed transmission, 2wd and a 4.9 I6 motor. obviously carburated, with no emissions control stuff, full steel frame, cast iron block. gets 18-22 mpg
my brother also bought a 1994 mazda B3000 4x4(equivalent to a ford ranger, just a few minor differences and stickers) that has a 3.0 liter V6, a 5 speed manual transmission,and all sorts of emissions control crap, EFI, and you know what kind of milage it gets? 17-21.
Chevy advertised its 09 silverado 1500 2wd with a 5.3L V8 as getting an average 18mpg and that was the best fuel economy in its class.
how is it that in 43 years, with all of the new motor technology, better materials, and better knowledge of engines, that we have not been able to create a truck that gets better than 20mpg average? Emissions control. now the thing i see as folly is that since the emissions control stuff is making our cars burn more gas, it is just making the problem that much worse. wouldnt you think somebody would have thought of this by now? and yet they just keep making emissions standards stricter, forcing the car companies to make even worse vehicles. ug.
Old 05-18-2010, 08:47 PM

Smile

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kurdt View Post
Ethanol is not a good thing. Alcohol attracts water and destroys certain types of rubber. With Ethanol you will always have water in your fuel.
As far as tuning, run fatter jetting. Ethanol runs lean.
thanks kurdt
Old 05-18-2010, 08:48 PM

Thumbs up

Quote:
Originally Posted by gasgasman View Post
Our gas here in Houston has 10% ethanol.
I ran this in my 2001 Gas Gas.
The bike sat for 3 months and the complete cylinder,rings, power valve were all gummed up and rusty looking. The piston was totally siezed up in the cylinder.
thanks gasgasman
Old 05-18-2010, 08:50 PM

Smile

Quote:
Originally Posted by jostby View Post
Try it and tell us!
In the automotive world it equals less horsepower and less miles per gallon. I'm unsure what the benefits are at all. It is supposed to create less emissions but if you are creating more exhaust per mile I don't see where that does anything except help the farmers that grow the corn (and etc) that it's made from. Why would you want to run it?
we use this fuel in our turbocharged race cars with great results and 95c a ltr compared to $1.45 ltr for 98 fuel
Old 05-18-2010, 08:51 PM

Smile

Quote:
Originally Posted by roostafish View Post
E85 Es no bueno. If that's all that is available, the bike will run on it, but you'd be best served to drain the tank and carb completely. Aviation fuel isn't that much more money than plain ol petrol and it's more consistent.
thanks roostafish