Rieju & GasGas Legacy Riders Club Forum  

Go Back   Rieju & GasGas Legacy Riders Club Forum > General Forums > General Discussions & Announcements

General Discussions & Announcements General Announcements, General Questions, e.g. What bike do I buy?, etc.

Old 07-29-2008, 05:33 AM

Default How rude/nice are you passing slower riders racing?

I just wanted people's opinions in passing during racing - usually the aukward situation when in the woods with singletrack...

My general opinion is that if a rider is passing me where there is another route they should use that - even if its not the easiest route i.e. I dont think I should go the difficult way just to let them past on the easiest/fastest route. This is also a bit variable though since if they are really fast and I am really slow it's not going to make any difference to me to get out of the way... of course you can't expect slower riders to spend the whole race getting out of peoples way since they wouldn't be able to ride round then!

So when I pass people I wait until I can get past cleanly though if that means I beat them to a corner and they have to brake more or take a wider line I think that's fine. In singletrack in the woods though this can mean I am sat behind a slower rider for a long time but the alternative is to rev your engine (angrily) which is not nice for beginners or try to force your way past which would work but again is not nice for the slower rider. It's a question of manners really. The problem is I lost 1st place in the last 4 hour race by 1min 20sec which could have easily been made up by not getting stuck behind slower riders in the woods and yes I was looking for all and any overtaking spots (I could find 3). If some-one is the same speed as me (almost)I dont want them to pull over and let me past I like the challenge of getting past and they're not going to slow me down if they're in front.

Then there's the question of when do you move over for a rider behind you? I was chasing one guy down and he was a tiny bit slower than me and thought I will catch him and try to over take the same lap but he saw me behind (20 feet I had not caught him yet) and pulled right over to let me past - I dont think he should have let me past so easily or so early. I think if a fast rider catches you quickly and is right on your tail for a short period then let him past - he is clearly quicker... ? A good method?

Phew - then the next aukward question what do you do if there is a queue for a hill or something - wait or pile in? Perhaps the answer is pile in if you can get through on another line? or wait if not? It's a strange situation racing and then stopping and queing up...

'95 ish XR630 (died many times in Oz)

Old 07-29-2008, 06:16 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by stay_upright View Post
How rude/nice are you passing slower riders racing?
If they don't let me by quickly I enjoy the rest until I see a chance to get by on my own. This is often on a rocky downhill. I fly by them and then crash spectacularly at the bottom.
Old 07-29-2008, 07:59 AM

The biggest problem with that is in south jersey pines, in a stick farm section where there is NO place to pass OR pull over. I'll yell to pass and always yell "Thanks" when going by, and usually find when I come up on that same rider again he knows its me and moves over before I have to yell. I do the same when being passed by fast Bs and As.
Old 07-29-2008, 09:41 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by GMP View Post
The biggest problem with that is in south jersey pines, in a stick farm section where there is NO place to pass OR pull over. I'll yell to pass and always yell "Thanks" when going by, and usually find when I come up on that same rider again he knows its me and moves over before I have to yell. I do the same when being passed by fast Bs and As.
+1

As far as the bottleneck situation. I quickly survey the carnage. If there are multiple lines, I will go for them if they aren't being used. If they are, I look for
a new way. To give an example, I was in an enduro once and it was a wet one. About 10 miles out there was a nasty steep slick hill. There were probably
75 to 100 riders stuck on the hill or waiting for their shot at getting stuck.
I found an "alternate" route probably 50 yds off course. I was able to bypass
the crowd and continued on. I found out afterward that over half the entrants houred out at that hill.

I don't mind making my own trail if faced with a bottleneck.
Old 07-29-2008, 10:28 AM

I give slower riders 30 seconds to a minute to move over when I come up on them. If they haven't moved in that time then I have no problem stuffing them in a corner. We all know the rules of racing, so I don't feel bad about it. That said, if it's a little kid or a rank beginner I'll give them more leeway.

If there's a bottleneck, it's elbows out and start barging through the lineup. Or go searching for alternate lines.
Old 07-29-2008, 11:16 AM

Quote:
I found an "alternate" route probably 50 yds off course. I was able to bypass
the crowd and continued on. I found out afterward that over half the entrants houred out at that hill.

I don't mind making my own trail if faced with a bottleneck.
I do this as much as possible too, but you have to be reasonably sure there is no check at the top of that killer hill before you can get back to the course! It has happened and wrecked my day. As long as you don't ride on too early a minute, these alternates become more obvious and its a lot eaiser.
Old 07-29-2008, 01:17 PM
Gold Level Site Supporter

Plenty of room to pass in Nevada.
Old 07-29-2008, 02:59 PM

Passing. I'm polite as the guy I'm passing. In an enduro, there is no excuse for not letting a faster rider by. Hare scrambles, cross country and MX are more of a contact sport, but there is usually enough good opertunities to pass without getting stupid. I have noticed that riders take more notice when I start honking the horn.

2005 GasGas EC300 (Ohlins front and rear)
2007 Yamaha FZ1
2003 Pampera 280(hers)
Old 07-29-2008, 09:07 PM

Sometimes I bark, like a dog, really gets attention. Some guys sing. I just keep it friendly and find I have no problems. Occasionally you run into an Ahole but they usually crash trying to run your pace. You can tell if a guy is just a shell shocked C rider or not.

I do get pissed when I hear bad language and other unsportsmanlike conduct, and if officials hear it you will be DQed in ECEA. I have seen post entered fast guys (who should be pre entered up front if its that important) really harass rank novices in the back of the pack, where there is absolutely no place to go but in the brush. This is bad for the sport and discourages new riders from coming back.
Old 07-29-2008, 11:06 PM

It is perfectly acceptable to yell or make some verbal noise. Personally, I have found that the "whoop" is the best sound since in conveys that you are there and want by, but doesn't sound like yelling or angry. Waving or saying thanks as you pass or are just past go along ways to making the folks feel better about pulling over. AA, A ,and B riders are pretty good about moving, but C riders often have irrational visions of grandure and will challenge you occasionally (passing and out of control rider is sketchy).