Rieju & GasGas Legacy Riders Club Forum  

Go Back   Rieju & GasGas Legacy Riders Club Forum > General Forums > General Discussions & Announcements

General Discussions & Announcements General Announcements, General Questions, e.g. What bike do I buy?, etc.

Old 08-09-2012, 03:14 AM

Default Anybody have an 02/03 450 FSE that actually works ?

Ok after reading the forum quite a bit i'm not filled with optimism for my gasser. I bought it a while back but its never been on the road for more than a couple of days, I'm slowly fixing all the things that where wrong when I bought it but it looks like this model is fundamentally flawed when it come to starting either from the E start or from the kick.
Whats the point in having a bike you can't start or won't re start consistently ?
I originally bought the bike not knowing much about them other than owning a DRZ and feeling it was to heavy so the gasser seemed like a perfect solution.
I'm seriously considering ripping the gasser lump out and putting a DRZ one in, has this been done before ?
I could cut my losses and sell the bike on but I wouldn't feel good putting somebody else in my position unless they know what they were getting into.
Perhaps i'm just being paranoid and it will run sweet in the end but I sure would like to here from some other owners out there

Old 08-09-2012, 03:23 AM

Got a list of problems so we know what your worried about? I know how you feel though i got a '10 300 that was abused by its previous owner and it was bad! Broken engine mounts Had to weld and bush rear engine mount from the thrashing of the front mount List goes on arghhh. Got a 12 300 now so prob solved
Old 08-09-2012, 03:47 AM

I've been posting in the 4t section - http://www.gasgasrider.org/forum/showthread.php?t=12984

I'm doing everything on a budget so buying new or chucking cash at it isn't an option. Just wish i'd done more research before I bought the bike I guess.
Old 08-09-2012, 04:44 AM

Starters and stuff hey!! Sorry mate but im no help here

Dont let it beat you though as i have seen this model 450 in action on the trails and i found it quite impressive.

Budgets are a bastard hey!!! I know how you feel there.

I hope you sort it out.
Old 08-09-2012, 05:19 AM

There were several parts updates for these bikes. If the bike does not have them, it is going to need them. Cam wear is also an issue along with the shim buckets. You have to use the efi software including the exhaust gas analyzer to properly set up the efi. If the motor is complete, I would part it out and move on. Even if you do get it running well it won't last long term. I had an 03. They are a very fun bike, but very expensive to keep running.
Old 08-09-2012, 06:07 AM

The last owner spent ?1600 on an engine rebuild but he keeps forgetting to send me the invoice on what was done, very annoying as i've seen the invoice briefly so I know it exists !
I think i'm going to get it running the best I can and move on before anything catastrophic happens.
How was your 03 for starting ?