Rieju & GasGas Legacy Riders Club Forum  

Go Back   Rieju & GasGas Legacy Riders Club Forum > Community Forums > Central United States

Central United States Between the Rocky Mountains and Mississippi River

Old 09-08-2006, 04:02 PM

Default Trails Near Saint Louis?

I am moving away from the greatest trails the west has to offer and I am making my way back to the midwest. I have seen a few folks from the Saint Louis area around but I havent been able to pin them down for trail information.

Are there anyother trails in Missour other than the State and National parks. Here in idaho you have lots of trails. Most are less than a half hour away! Im just looking for some good riding close.

Have any of you ever been around those parts. I know there are the finder lakes, Mark Twain National forest and St. Joe state park. Am i missing anything?

Any help would be much appreciated.

Thanks

MIKEB

Old 09-08-2006, 06:33 PM

Frankly, you are going to be disappointed.

Missouri national forest area (Mark Twain National Forest) is closed to motorized use unless marked open. This policy has been in place since the late 80s and the FS hasn't got around to marking anything open. There's trail to be ridden (if you can find it), but you'll need a plated bike to connect the trails together. There are public riding areas....

St. Joe state park (2000 acres) is close by (60 miles) and cheap ($3/day), but most of the trails are now atv wide.

The Midwest Trail Riders Association (MTRA, $10/yr membership) has a 600 acre riding area 110 miles from St. Louis. Nice single track, but 600 acres worth.

Finger Lakes state park is around 130 miles away and is truly a quad heaven.

Chadwick - a 230 mile trip to an 11,000 acre OHV area run by the Forest Service. It used to be a great place to ride, but the quads have overrun that place too.

I'll mention Sutton's Bluff only to be complete.

This place is supposed to open soon. http://www.sandycreekmx.com/ It will be around 60 miles from St. Louis (near St. Joe park).

Illinois has opened a couple of riding areas within a couple of hours of St. Louis, but I've yet to visit them. Little Egypt should get you a hit in google.

I practice at St. Joe park and get my riding fix by running enduros, the odd hare scramble and taking multi-day riding trips to other parts of the country.

Welcome (back?) to Missouri.
Old 09-10-2006, 07:51 PM

Thanks for the information. Yes I am moving back to Saint Charles to be exact. I lived there for a couple of years a few years back. My family lives there and Im finaly graduating and am going to look for a job.

It sounds like you know your information.

Thanks again.

MIKEB
Old 09-11-2006, 01:18 PM

Also, near Rockport, IL is the Rockport Off Road Park.
http://www.rockportoffroadpark.com/homepage.html
(I've never been there)
In the NE corner of MO or SE corner of IA there is (or was) an offroad park, but the name escapes me. I thought the area was somehow related to the Kahoka hare scramble race.
Old 09-20-2006, 12:46 AM

got to www.halls-cycles.com click on links/click on links off-road riding resort.Says its 2 hours southwest of st.louis next to mark twain national forrest.Link said at his last hare scramble event that he had a 130 mile course set up that was very challenging at his new missouri location and looks like the price is right.Let us all know how it is if you check it out.
Old 09-27-2006, 04:41 PM

I grew up in St. Louis and was very active in the off-road racing scene but moved away a few years ago. I used to know every little nook and cranny off the beaten path. My suggestion is get to know the folks at Donelson Cycles in St. Ann, MO and Missouri Mudders. Attend the Missouri Hare Scramble Series and Blackjack Enduro events even if you do not compete. Don't be shy, let it be known that you are new to the area and you will eventually hook up with the folks that know and seek out the back secret woods if you catch my drift! Believe me they are still there. Not that I am trying to rub it in or anything, I live in Greensboro GA. I have a 10 mile harescramble loop within 15 minutes of home, Durhamtown Plantation is 30 minutes with 5 motocross tracks and 80 miles of woods trails with varying terrain. In addtion there are at least 2 other riding areas within 1 hour and motocross tracks are everywhere you turn. Most satisfying are the SETRA Enduro and HS events. Yes I am very lucky and thankful at the moment. Let's just hope it lasts!!
Regards,
Dave Altman