Rieju & GasGas Legacy Riders Club Forum  

Go Back   Rieju & GasGas Legacy Riders Club Forum > GasGas Enduro Technical Forums > Enduro Engine - 2 stroke

Enduro Engine - 2 stroke Cylinder, Piston, Tranny, Bearings, Clutch, Pipes & Silencers, etc.

Old 10-12-2011, 08:14 PM

Default Mineral Oil?

I have a 2011 EC300 and the Clutch reservoir specifies mineral oil only.

I had some "proper" Motorex Mineral Oil but had a bleeding issue and ended up wasting it.

I ended up getting the problem solved and went ahead to expel the air with "mineral oil" from the drugstore.

Is this the same stuff or will it damage the seals and O rings in the system?

I have searched "mineral oil" in all forums but believe it or not, though generic drugstore mineral oil is mentioned plenty, no one actually answers whether it is the same stuff and will harm the system.

I intend to flush the drugstore variety out tomorrow when the local dealer gets me the Motorex I ordered, I just hope I haven't damaged something by having the other in there for 48 hours.

Thoughts?

Thanks

Old 10-12-2011, 11:39 PM

Location: From Swaziland, Now Hamilton New Zealand the “look but don’t touch” enduro heaven

I also did this excersize recently and found some threads that mentioned drug store oil not being as refined or being able to handle heat as well. I ended up using 2,5 fork oil in my clutch and have had no problems with it.

Ps have to love the fact that GG let's me use the 7mm spanner that has been gathering dust for ever to bleed the system!!
Old 10-13-2011, 12:17 AM

so it will not perform as well as higher grade moto specific oil but should not harm the seals....correct?
Old 10-13-2011, 01:07 AM

Location: From Swaziland, Now Hamilton New Zealand the “look but don’t touch” enduro heaven

from what i picked up, yes, not like if you used dot 3/4 brake fluid, this will eat the seals etc
Old 10-13-2011, 07:38 AM

This has been a question since the first juice clutch KTMs. All that means is a non-synthetic petroleum hydraulic oil, and especially not brake fluid. Fork oil, shock oil, hydraulic jack oil, even ATF work fine. Don't read too much into it.
Old 10-13-2011, 09:37 AM

Something gets lost in translation with mineral oil for us North Americans.

You can use just about anything except brake fluid. I use shock fluid personally, but have used ATF, fork oil etc...
Old 10-13-2011, 06:47 PM

I've used nothing but drug store mineral oil in several KTMs, a Vor, and three Gas Gas with absolutely no problems. The high dollar stuff is a waste of money.