Rieju & GasGas Legacy Riders Club Forum  

Go Back   Rieju & GasGas Legacy Riders Club Forum > General Forums > General Discussions & Announcements

General Discussions & Announcements General Announcements, General Questions, e.g. What bike do I buy?, etc.

Old 02-23-2012, 07:39 PM

Default flexi levers

ok so im sick of snapping levers on my txt 250 and my ec 250 im thinking about taking the plunge and buying some flexi/unbreakable levers but i dont wana pay the earth and i dont wana loose any feel of my clutch seen as the gasser clutch really is superior to anything ive ever ridden! im first of all guna try them on the trials bike as i dont have bark busters on them and that the one i seem to snap most levers on.. ive found two different types in my budget they are the apico flexi levers and the rfx flexi levers.. anyone had any experience with these products and which is better? cheers luke

Old 02-23-2012, 08:01 PM

I wrap my bars with teflon tape then put the perches on over the tape. A roll of tape is less than a buck.
Old 02-23-2012, 08:19 PM

? you mean ptfe??? what does that do? can you explain a bit plz
Old 02-23-2012, 08:43 PM
Silver Level Site Supporter

ptfe is slippery (teflon). The idea is that you wrap the bar, then put the perch over the ptfe. When the lever hits the ground (or other things which have broken your clutch lever), the perch rotates on the bar, keeping the lever from taking the direct hit which would otherwise break.
Old 02-23-2012, 08:52 PM

Plumbers tape, it lets the clutch or brake perch spin on the bars and not break the levers.
Old 02-23-2012, 11:22 PM
Gold Level Site Supporter

Make sure you ask for Teflon tape, plumbers tape is the metal tape that has holes in it for securing pipe to the wall or making a bracket.

Sorry, just don't want him asking for the wrong thing, like I do all the time
Breaking more things by 8:00AM than most people break all day.
Old 02-23-2012, 11:23 PM

I thought the proper name for ptfe tape was 'thread tape' ?

Anyway, the only truely unbreakable lever is one which pivots in all planes, up, down and out. The only one I know of is the renthal intelli-lever. They dont make it for an AJP clutch though, finding one for the brake will be easy.
Old 02-23-2012, 11:28 PM

It's one of those things that isn't what it is called, but everyone calls it "Teflon Tape", you are more correct But if you walk into a Hardware store or Parts store and ask for "Teflon Tape" they will know what you mean.
Thread Tape: is probably the most correct. But google "teflon tape" and you will get tons of hits on what you want, all called the wrong thing. Sometimes just easier to go with the flow.

---
From Du Pont:

? Teflon? isn?t a thing ? it?s a brand! A world famous brand that?s owned by DuPont.
? The DuPont? Teflon? brand identifies products that are made with DuPont raw material(s), like fluoropolymer or industrial coatings. Over time, the tape has been mistakenly referred to as "Teflon tape". We thought it was important to let you know that.
? If somebody offers to sell you ?Teflon tape? when you need plumber tape (or thread seal tape), they are wrong, mistaken or ? worse ? trying to mislead you. To help you make an informed purchase, you should be aware that no plumber tape is authorized by DuPont to be sold as ?Teflon tape?.
? DuPont has brought thousands of meaningful innovations to people for more than 200 years, including many Teflon? branded products for consumers. Plumber tape is not one of these innovations.
Teflon? is a registered trademark of DuPont.
Old 02-23-2012, 11:32 PM

by the way: what the heck happened to all the shorty and plastic levers that were around in the late 70's early 80's, loved those things - and they were cheap! I walked into one store and asked for a shorty clutch lever and they looked at me cross-eyed? Did I imagine these things? Serious! I am beginning to doubt my memory....what were we talking about?
Old 02-24-2012, 05:51 AM

Here try this if you want a plastic Shorty

http://www.midwestme.com/

-JD
]| DUAL SPORT ARMORY Suspension
]| Hampton Roads HVAC.com Contracting

"You mean I have to put oil on the gas too?"
" Where is Kutcher ?"