Rieju & GasGas Legacy Riders Club Forum  

Go Back   Rieju & GasGas Legacy Riders Club Forum > GasGas Enduro Technical Forums > Enduro Product Announcements

Enduro Product Announcements Announce new gasgas enduro products here - Vendors Welcome...

Old 02-06-2019, 05:11 PM

Cool 2018-2019 AXP Xtrem Skidplates in Red or Black

Now on the shelf in RED!

Tons of AXP Product in stock for you.

Worldwide shipping

Bash guards with linkage protection and Radiator Braces

https://gasgaspartshouse.com/shop?ol...otection-black
Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMG_163912121.jpg (23.8 KB, 25 views)

Old 02-06-2019, 05:37 PM

How does the coverage on the AXP compare to the TMD plate w/ linkage protection?
Old 02-07-2019, 02:13 AM

My experience with these AXP guards on the 2019 EC 250/300 models is that they don't fit out of the box, unless they have been modified in the last couple of months. I bought mine last October.

GasGas have changed the sump drain bolt on the 2019 from a flush type with countersunk allen hex to a standard hex head that stands proud of the cases. This proud head fouls the rear frame hooks on the guard and you can't get them into position.

I emailed AXP to ask them about this but they didn't realise as they had not checked fitment on the 2019 models at that time.

You can replace the 2019 sump bolt with a 2018 item and the 6mm will fit fine. The 8mm type is too rigid to get the rear linkage guard into position. I gave up after several hours of fighting it and swapped to a 6mm.

My riding buddy had to heavily modify his 8mm guard to get it to fit his 2019 including moving one of the rear frame hooks to clear the sump bolt and heating the linkage flap to bend it. I think he had to cut the flap back a little as well.

All that aside, these are really well made products and very robust. I much prefer a plastic guard to a metal one.
Old 02-07-2019, 11:05 AM

Jacob, there is a little better side coverage on the AXP compared to the TMD. We have photos of both skidplates mounted on our site www.gasgaspartshouse.com for reference. Plus the AXP is thicker. We run the AXP products on our race team and have had no issues with fitment. The oil drain hole is in the wrong spot, but I take mine off every time for an oil change to do some better cleaning under there anyways.

Both TMD and AXP are great options, I had a red TMD before my black AXP both with linkage protection
Old 02-07-2019, 11:09 AM

RudolfHucker, thats interesting. We run the AXP 8mm on our race team and our personal bikes and have never had to modify any. We do prefer the sunk allen head for the drains though. One less thing to get potentially ripped off or smashed during a race and leave you with a DNF.

AXP may have slightly modified their design in production after you received yours?

Agreed, thick plastic is the way to go. What else have you done to your 2019?
Old 02-07-2019, 01:21 PM

I'm in the UK and the bike is plated for road use but we have stupid EU rules for some things so I have done the following to help improve the bike.

1. Rewired the electrics with KTM switches to allow the lights to be turned off front and rear. EU regulation require the lights to stay on but screw them, we are leaving that banana republic! This also allows a more familiar engine start button on the throttle side and engine kill on the LHS.
2. Fitted a Motion Pro KTM T3 throttle cable to replace the Oem And get a safer screw-in fitment at throttle and carb end. Not a perfect fit and I'll be watching if Motion Pro bring out a more specific cable with a moulded curve at the carb end. Access to the carb is very cramped.
3. Fitted all white plastics with custom camo graphics.
4. Fitted KTM/X-Trig PHDS to kill bad engine vibes. Needed to make up some custom adapters to match the PHDS to the GG top yoke. Have also injected silicone into the handlebars. I have had severe and painful arm cramps after 1-2 hours riding that have needed medical treatment.
5. Changed the sidestand bushes to remove the suicide flip-up EU requirement.
6. Will be addng some Fasst Impact Pegs to further address the vibration. Just found some used KTM pattern ones that should fit.
7. Fitted a TM Designworks rear chain guide. RCG-KT3. 1st thing I change on any new bike.
8. Tried a TM swingarm slider, DCS-KT3 on the assumption that the GG swingarm is the same as a KTM linkage model. The top bolt fits fine but the bottom does not line up. What a PITA!
9. Reset float height and rejetted with NEDW needle to address way over rich running.
10. Lined the back of the headlight with black gaffer tape as more light shines back in the rider's eyes than forward on the road!!
11. Fitted a threaded insert into the back of the countershaft cover to replace the silly back nut on the bolt that's a pain to fit and tends to shake loose.
12. Adapted an Enduro Engineering front axle puller to fit by drilling out the centre bolt hole. This lets the split section to take up the slack and pull up tight.
13. EE wraparound hand guards, Motion Pro Titan throttle tube (with removable tube end) and Renthal dual compound kevlar grips. More anti vibration tactics including nylon washers on the hand guard bolts.

The bike will get Supersprox sprockets when the OEM are ready to change. Stealth rear. Part number 1512, same as the Italian Husqvarnas. Like the Beta RRs, do NOT fit a KTM Stealth rear sprocket or you WILL snap off at least 1 mounting lug. The bolt holes are only about 0.2 mm different but it's enough. Also in the lookout for BPD rad guards at a sensible price. May take a while.

It's very frustrating that the wide range of excellent USA made aftermarket parts are not available directly in the UK. The exchange rate and import duties hike the prices up too much. A 100 dollar item can end up costing 150 pounds sterling after shipping, exchange rate and import duties. Roll on WTA trade deals post Brexit or a cheap air ticket and a large empty suitcase!

Last edited by RudolfHucker; 02-07-2019 at 01:54 PM.
Old 02-07-2019, 02:40 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MotoCenterGasGas View Post
Jacob, there is a little better side coverage on the AXP compared to the TMD. We have photos of both skidplates mounted on our site www.gasgaspartshouse.com for reference. Plus the AXP is thicker. We run the AXP products on our race team and have had no issues with fitment. The oil drain hole is in the wrong spot, but I take mine off every time for an oil change to do some better cleaning under there anyways.

Both TMD and AXP are great options, I had a red TMD before my black AXP both with linkage protection
Thank you! That is exactly the information I was looking for. It looks like I will be buying the AXP when the TMD is completely thrashed, it wont be long....
Old 02-07-2019, 06:05 PM
Super Moderator

I have one on my 2018. Coverage is reasonable, better than stock. Fitment was a challenge.. Bit of work getting the hooks over the frame rails.

I had one issue in use, where I poorly attempted to clear some exposed roots. Managed to get the root wedged between the linkage and the skid as the bike dropped backwards over the root. This flexed the whole bashy enough to unclip the hooks from the frame. I doubt this would happen often, but I did it!! Fortunately, I somewhow flexed the hooks up enough and a good kick snapped it back into place. There is some additional play in it now from where the hooks have bent away from the main plate a bit. I think I'll probably need to get some heat into it to fixerrrup.
Old 02-08-2019, 09:09 AM

Glad I could help, Jacob! You do have to muscle them on, but worth it!
Old 02-08-2019, 09:12 AM

Thats sounds impressive how you managed that!! haha, but freak things happen I guess. Be happy you have roots! lol not much of that out here in the desert =(

Tags
2018, 2019, axp, ec300, skid plate