Rieju & GasGas Legacy Riders Club Forum  

Go Back   Rieju & GasGas Legacy Riders Club Forum > GasGas Enduro Technical Forums > Enduro Engine - 2 stroke

Enduro Engine - 2 stroke Cylinder, Piston, Tranny, Bearings, Clutch, Pipes & Silencers, etc.

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old 04-24-2011, 06:44 PM

Default Clutch Slave Cyliner - where's that spring go?

Hi guys. Can someone confirm if the spring for the AJP clutch slave cylinder goes inside the slave (between the piston and the housing) or outside between the piston and the engine bearing/over the rod end?

I am having some clutch engagement issues and thought I had it sorted, but not yet. It started when I removed the two rear bolts for the slave to get the front disk off. I wanted some extra room to spin the carb for jetting. I left the front bolt in tight and the slave didn't appear to move at all. When I put it all back together and started the bike back up the clutch felt normal, but after about one minute I noticed the clutch would not disengage unless the lever was on the bar. I normally use one finger to fan the clutch, so with the lever against my knuckles I could gas it and ride around. So first thing i do is run the adjuster in more, which didn't help. So I ran it in again as far as it would go and still have a skosh of freeplay. That still didn't fix it.

A quick chat with the dealer suggested that something got out of alignment when I removed the two bolts. That didn't make sense, but I decided to remove the slave and reinstall, ensuring it was on properly. As soon as I lifted it off the piston popped off and I had a mess on the garage floor. I had the piston and the spring there, but did not see how they were installed. After a little thinking and fitting I decided the spring had to be inside the slave to work - keep the piston/ball bearing pressed against the rod end at all times with the spring pressure, which would be overcome by the clutch springs after release of the lever. So that is how I reinstalled everything. I reverse filled the system, got all the air out, and it felt great, but same damn thing with the clutch engagement again.

So another call to the dealer to verify I had it back together correctly. He called GoFasters and tells me it goes between the piston and the case, which I assume to be the engine. So I pull it apart again and install it that way, even thought I was thinking this can't be right. It went on, but it didn't look right and wouldn't explain why the thing popped apart when I took it apart the first time. I filled the system again and the lever was frozen solid.

It's apart again and before I do anything else can someone verify that I had it right the first time? And, any ideas what is going on with my clutch? This is really strange.

p.s. I have run the adjuster all the way out at the lever, which only makes it worse. This bike has less than 1 hour on it.