Rieju & GasGas Legacy Riders Club Forum  

Go Back   Rieju & GasGas Legacy Riders Club Forum > GasGas Enduro Technical Forums > Enduro Suspension

Enduro Suspension Tuning & maintenance of Enduro forks, shocks, etc

Old 11-29-2006, 04:49 PM

Default Suspension beats me up :(

Hi all,

I did a race at the weekend on my 2000 EC250 and the suspension seemed very harsh. The race had a lot of small square edged hits and ruts. I was finding the bike was very harsh on the smaller bumps when hit at moderate speed. If I really attacked things the suspension/handling actually felt better but my fitness precluded me from really do that for to long. Anyway I ride most of the time in sand and have set the bike up for this which has mean't I have the rebound cranked up abit and also the compression. I can't tell you the exact settings off hand but I will try and fiind out tonight. I have a feeling that I have the compression and rebound a little to high, not so much a problem in sand where the softness of the sand takes some of the hit out of things, but in this harder soil it was awefull. The bike is fine on larger hits/jumps. I measured the sag front and rear after the race and found that the rear is nearly spot on, maybe a little bit more sag (5-10mm). The front didn't have enough sag, but I hadn't released the air when making the measurement so should do that and re take the measurements.
Does anyone have much experience with the conventional Marzo forks that came on the 2000 model bikes. The adjustments don't seem to do a lot. Just sharing a few things if anyone has any sugestions on how to make it less harsh then let me know.

Thanks
Kerry

Old 12-04-2006, 12:15 PM

i own a 2000 model 300 and had the very same problem try dropping the fork oil level to 140mm keep the compression at the middle and lighten up rebound i added air cell tanks and the problem went completely away.........
Old 12-05-2006, 01:03 PM

Thanks for that will try it this weekend.

On another topic on the Ohlins shock on the 2000 models is the 17mm nut around the compresion adjustment the highspeed compression adjustment? I was looking at the Suspension FAQ in this forum and figure that I would try those settings even when though it says 2004 and newer. I played around with the 17mm nut, but it seems quite loose once backed off hard tight, eg I can turn with my fingers. Really I need to get the shock serviced before I do anything, but that will have to wait till after Xmas.

Cheers

Kerry
Old 12-05-2006, 02:17 PM
Super Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by highspeedsteel View Post
Thanks for that will try it this weekend.

On another topic on the Ohlins shock on the 2000 models is the 17mm nut around the compresion adjustment the highspeed compression adjustment? I was looking at the Suspension FAQ in this forum and figure that I would try those settings even when though it says 2004 and newer. I played around with the 17mm nut, but it seems quite loose once backed off hard tight, eg I can turn with my fingers. Really I need to get the shock serviced before I do anything, but that will have to wait till after Xmas.

Cheers

Kerry
NO. The 17mm nut on the compression adjuster on pre-2004 Ohlins was NOT a high speed adjuster. It is the whole compression valve assembly. Don't remove or loosen this unless your tearing the shock down.

I agree, you should definitely have the shock serviced first, then work from there.
Old 12-05-2006, 03:37 PM

Cheers for that, thats what I guessed, but couldn't find the info anywhere.