Rieju & GasGas Legacy Riders Club Forum  

Go Back   Rieju & GasGas Legacy Riders Club Forum > General Forums > General Discussions & Announcements

General Discussions & Announcements General Announcements, General Questions, e.g. What bike do I buy?, etc.

Old 07-27-2007, 06:35 AM

Default 04 gg200 / general gg questions

Hi guys. New poster here
I currently ride an 00 ktm380, and it's getting pretty long in the tooth mechanically. Have been keeping an eye out for a suitable replacement, have come across an 04 200 with very low mileage at a reasonable price. I've ridden a pretty wide variety of bikes, I know what I'm in for, I do enjoy really *riding* a bike, though I know it will cause me more trouble in the steep and nasty terrain I enjoy.

Basically - are gg's of this vintage reliable, any known faults? How do they compare to ktm mechanically? My 380 has done between 10 and 15k miles, has been overheated heaps, run far too lean / pinging a few times, sucked in a few bits of dirt, etc, the bore is still perfect and I've never had any form of engine / gearbox failure. The rest of the bike is just getting a bit worn out.

Is there a manual around for the 04's anywhere? I could only find the years either side.

Do the 04's steer as well / similarly as the newer bikes? I've spent time on 06 and 07 models. What improvements have been made since 04? How interchangeable are the parts with other makes of bike, is there a list anywhere? Is there a good US dealer that will ship parts to Australia?

What are the engines like? I assume they are fairly placid for a 200? If that's the case, is it hard to open them up a bit? I really enjoy a crisp and responsive engine that loves a rev.

I'm very tall and have to lower footpegs / raise seat / bars on any of my bikes - gg's should respond the same way as the others to this, nothing specific that makes them better for short folk other than the placement of these bits?

Any info very appreciated, I'll continue wading through previous posts in the meantime