Rieju & GasGas Legacy Riders Club Forum  

Go Back   Rieju & GasGas Legacy Riders Club Forum > General Forums > General Discussions & Announcements

General Discussions & Announcements General Announcements, General Questions, e.g. What bike do I buy?, etc.

Old 01-27-2008, 04:41 PM

Default 2004 Mc125

I am interested in pickinig up an 04 mc125 (144 kit installed) for a good price. I want to step into a smaller bike for 2 reasons. 1st it would make me a better rider. 2nd it would be perfect for the couple of harescrambles I hit every year that are really tight. I have not read anything on this forum about the 125. So does anyone have any experience or info on this bike that might be useful. Good modifications for the woods such as a gnarly pipe (is it worth it or not). Any help would be great as I tend to like to know everything I can about a bike before purchase

Old 01-28-2008, 12:46 AM

I don't have any experience of the Gas Gas 125s but I can say that the best fun (& results) I ever had in enduros were on a 125.

There's nothing like having a bigmouth on a 300 laught at you at the start and say something dumb like "waddya gonna do on that buzzbomb?" and see his face when you come in 5th overall out of 150 and he's 130th.

I overheard one guy, an ex SA national enduro champion, saying he couldn't believe that he got toasted by a 125 (he was on a 250).

Braking. Jeez you can leave your braking late on a 125. I was having a really good dust up with a mate and he tried to overtake me on a steep downhill and wouldn't brake until I braked. All I heard was "F%$k C&nt....." followed by the snapping of (large) branches as he dissapeared into the undergrowth.

One of the reasons I chose a 125 was that I kept hearing people say that you gotta have a big bike for off-road. "Schmucks", I thought to myself, "It's not the bike it's the rider.".

He he..sweet memeories.

'06 Raga Rep

(hopefully '08 EC200 & '10 TXT Pro 250 soon)
Old 01-28-2008, 06:47 AM

My nephew has an '01 GG XC125 that I have completely rebuilt after many years of use. A very tough 125, a few lbs heavier than the Japaneese MXers but a lot more durable. The motor is very similar to a '00 era YZ. Uses a YZ piston, rod kit, and a Hinson clutch for a Honda CR125 goes right in. Jetting is important in getting the most out of it. With a Fatty pipe and good jetting, the bike can go anywhere we go on our 250s, and I can always hear the kid behind me at any speed. 2nd and 1st place in his last two enduros and both had a lot of hillclimbs. I like the bike a lot and I'm thinking of getting one myself. Not many around and I'm sure resale sucks but it will last longer than most other 125s.

I can't say anything about the 144 kits personally but from what I have read in doing research is that they have a fair amount of problems, in the Jap bikes anyway.
Old 01-28-2008, 11:51 AM
Gold Level Site Supporter

125's are lots of fun. I don't know how you could go wrong really, with that magic Gas Gas chassis.

I used to ride 125's. My last one was a Husky WR 125. I remember doing battle with a guy on a KTM 300 at a Washougal HS. There was a grass track section coming into the motocross track where I caught the guy. We battled the whole way around the track. I actually pulled him on the "horsepower hill" and outjumped him down the "ski jump," but he took me on a set of double doubles and I chased him to the finish, nearly getting him in that final whoop section. I remember at the end him looking at my bike and saying, "man, I can't beleive how fast that 125 is!" I don't know if it was really all that fast, but it was the right tool in those conditions.
OMRA #21AA
What will I be riding next? Christini GG 300?
'15 KTM 300 XC-W
'08 EC 250 (Gone to new happy owner)
Gran Prix Cycle
LTR Suspension
RB-Designs
Old 01-28-2008, 07:08 PM

Thanks for the info - I am going to pick the bike up as soon as possible. I am actually stepping from a kx500 to the 125. I love how the power of the 500 gets you out of situations however it has really made me a lazy rider and I know that if I want to get faster, I need to get on a smaller bike. So if anyone is interested in a relic 92 kx500 - let me know. This will be my first non jap bike. Many of the ppl I ride with are on huskies, tms, or gasser and I am really impressed with the gasser.
Old 01-29-2008, 12:18 AM

Step away from the KX500. Do not make any sudden movements.....

'06 Raga Rep

(hopefully '08 EC200 & '10 TXT Pro 250 soon)