Rieju & GasGas Legacy Riders Club Forum  

Go Back   Rieju & GasGas Legacy Riders Club Forum > GasGas Enduro Technical Forums > Enduro Chassis & Body

Enduro Chassis & Body Enduro Frame, Plastic, Brakes, Bars, Controls, wheels, tires, sprockets & gearing.

Old 09-07-2013, 12:13 PM
Bronze Level Site Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Longboardr View Post
Nope, it's not welded to the frame. Short of pulling the swing arm and the engine I couldn't figure out a way to get a good angle on the MIG to weld on a new piece to the frame.

What I made gets held in place by the chain roller bolt. The angle iron catches the inside lip of the frame and keeps the chain roller bolt from being able to move towards the rear of the bike. I did have to shorten the piece of tubing that goes through the chain roller or I wouldn't have been able to get the bolt started because the shock linkage is in the way. I made it 1/8" shorter, the same as the thickness of the angle iron.

Genius. Thank You!

2007 Beta Rev 3 270
2007 KTM 200 XC Wife's

Public Lands belong to the Public

Old 11-25-2013, 12:34 PM
Platinum Level Site Supporter

Quote:
This was my fix. Welded a piece of flat stock to a piece of angle iron. The flat stock takes up the space of the broken off piece. The angle iron holds on the inside of the frame. Been working just fine.

Digging this thread up as this just happened to me - 2nd ride on this bike and the damn thing snapped. I'm starting to question the design reliability - 1st ride had the gas tank develop a split and leak fuel the entire ride. 2nd ride and this tab breaks

Fortunately, everything stayed attached - including the wimpy portion of the tab that broke off.

A question for you Longboardr; I cannot tell from the image where that bracket you created mounts to the frame? Did you drill/tap somewhere on the inside of the frame near the foot peg?

I'm going to need to enlist the help of a friend that knows welding, so want to try and explain it as best as possible.

Thanks for any additional insight.
Old 11-25-2013, 01:03 PM
Banned

This isn't just a problem isolated to the Gasser's. Riding behind a friends TE250 I watched his kick stand and mount fly off into the forest. Having a kick stand is a bonus, I take mine off. The terrain and riding is to tough on them. And that's for any off-road specific machine.
Old 11-25-2013, 01:55 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by desertgasser300 View Post
The terrain and riding is to tough on them.
I agree, and because of that specific requirement, I believe forethought should be put into the design to encompass this. Not trying to stir up anything, just my experience thus far. For what it's worth, 107 hours of the same type of riding on my other bike with a kickstand and never an issue.

Anyway, just want to get it fixed so I'm back on the trail
Old 11-25-2013, 03:04 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by liv2day View Post
Anyway, just want to get it fixed so I'm back on the trail
Kickstands are nice to have, but it shouldn't keep you from riding.
Old 11-25-2013, 03:46 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by desertgasser300 View Post
Kickstands are nice to have, but it shouldn't keep you from riding.
Not so worried about the kickstand as I am the chain roller

I have a buddy that offered to help weld a piece together like Longboardr created - just need to figure out where he mounted it.
Old 11-25-2013, 04:06 PM
Banned

Quote:
Not so worried about the kickstand as I am the chain roller

I have a buddy that offered to help weld a piece together like Longboardr created - just need to figure out where he mounted it.
Copy that. From the red frame I thought you had a later 12 or 13, but the pic of the broken bits shows you have an 11', correct? Yeah, I wouldn't ride either until it was welded back on. My wife's mount broke on hers also, welding it hasn't been a problem so far.
Old 11-25-2013, 04:57 PM
Gold Level Site Supporter

Quote:
A question for you Longboardr; I cannot tell from the image where that bracket you created mounts to the frame? Did you drill/tap somewhere on the inside of the frame near the foot peg?

I'm going to need to enlist the help of a friend that knows welding, so want to try and explain it as best as possible.

Thanks for any additional insight.
The angle iron is held in place because it's clamped between the chain roller tubing and the kickstand by the chain roller bolt. That bolt is the only thing that attaches the angle iron to the bike. The force that is put onto the kickstand when it's down tries to pull the kickstand towards the rear axle, the angle iron catches the inside of the frame and keeps the kickstand from being able to pull away.

I don't have any dimensions for the part because it's basically a custom fit. The angle iron was 1/8" thick. You won't want to go any thicker than that because there's not a lot of room and you'll be shortening the chain roller tubing an 1/8" to make up for the thickness of the angle iron so you can get the bolt started (the linkage is in the way otherwise). You'll have to put the angle iron in place on the bike then mark where the break is on it and where you'll need to drill the hole and weld on the piece that makes up for what broke off your bike. The piece that was welded onto the angle iron was ground down to the same thickness as the piece that originally broke off the bike.

If you're still having trouble envisioning it I suggest you make a mock up piece out of cardboard and go spend some quality time with the bike

Original image

Red added where the angle iron is since everything is the color of dirt and it's hard to see. The angle is going behind the frame.

Old 11-25-2013, 05:46 PM

Quote:
If you're still having trouble envisioning it I suggest you make a mock up piece out of cardboard and go spend some quality time with the bike
Awesome - thanks for the additional information and for taking the time to mark-up the image - the red highlight definitely helps.

Don't think I'll be able to get this coordinated with my buddy over Turkey Day weekend, but hopefully the weekend after that.

Thanks again Longboardr!
Old 11-25-2013, 06:56 PM
Super Moderator

Just tack a bit of steel on where the old bracket was. Drill a hole and mount a standard chain roller or you can mount the bracket back on. When mine crapped out I lost/broke the bracket which cost a few coins. I have the new one on the ready but have never bothered to replace it, as others have said, they just get beat up.

I know mine broke from pulling too hard on the bike when on the stand looking for firm ground. I don't think its engined for much more than holding the resting bike. Any other weights or forces bring the start of the end (and this applies to more than just gassers).