Rieju & GasGas Legacy Riders Club Forum  

Go Back   Rieju & GasGas Legacy Riders Club Forum > GasGas Enduro Technical Forums > Enduro Chassis & Body

Enduro Chassis & Body Enduro Frame, Plastic, Brakes, Bars, Controls, wheels, tires, sprockets & gearing.

Old 02-15-2016, 10:10 AM

well its nowhere near finished but at least I can see progress in the exhaust

Old 02-15-2016, 04:28 PM
Super Moderator

I find with most tasks involving the dirtbike the bulk of the time and effort is spent cleaning. For example, it takes me longer to wash the bike clean enough to start surgery than it does for me to get the cylinder and piston removed. Then it takes longer to clean the powervalves than it does to spec up the new piston and ring gaps. Then it takes more time cleaning up the gasket surfaces than it does to put it back together.

And when all is said and done, and its nice and clean and shiny, and you stand back and admire it.. it only lasts as long as the next ride.
Old 02-16-2016, 12:13 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jakobi View Post
I find with most tasks involving the dirtbike the bulk of the time and effort is spent cleaning. For example, it takes me longer to wash the bike clean enough to start surgery than it does for me to get the cylinder and piston removed. Then it takes longer to clean the powervalves that does to spec up the new piston and ring gaps. Then it takes more time cleaning up the gasket surfaces than it does to put it back together.

And when all is said and done, and its nice and clean and shiny, and you stand back and admire it.. it only lasts as long as the next ride.
Well after you posted this while the exhaust is off I thought it would make sense just to have alook at the power valve through the exhaust, looks like its stuck at something near closed. Bugger. Ive never done anything with powervalves so ive started reading, I then thought I cant be doing with this and thought ill book it in at a garage to sort but then having thought about it, if I didnt do it now I wouldnt understand it if it goes wrong in the future, so I guess u need to order gaskets for pv left and right and clutch gasket drain coolant and then just dive in and see whats what

edit/
reading seems to suggest it could be stuck from carbon build up on either side so maybe best place to start would be just remove the PV covers and clean everything out best I can from there or should I just remove everything?

Last edited by imsimon; 02-16-2016 at 01:11 PM.
Old 02-16-2016, 02:05 PM
Platinum Level Site Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by imsimon View Post
Well after you posted this while the exhaust is off I thought it would make sense just to have alook at the power valve through the exhaust, looks like its stuck at something near closed. Bugger. Ive never done anything with powervalves so ive started reading, I then thought I cant be doing with this and thought ill book it in at a garage to sort but then having thought about it, if I didnt do it now I wouldnt understand it if it goes wrong in the future, so I guess u need to order gaskets for pv left and right and clutch gasket drain coolant and then just dive in and see whats what

edit/
reading seems to suggest it could be stuck from carbon build up on either side so maybe best place to start would be just remove the PV covers and clean everything out best I can from there or should I just remove everything?
Have you removed the actuator rod to see if the PV flapper moves freely? It won't move unless you unhook it. If you rotate the flapper without unhooking the linkage, there is a very likely chance that you will dislodge the actuator balls and have big problems.
Old 02-16-2016, 03:05 PM

The honest answer is I dont fully understand how the pv works but im trying to read up, so iy rotates rather than just up/down? I think im happy now with stage one being take both pv covrrs off disconnect the arm and then a) like u say see if it will move and b) clean up any carbon and it looks possible to slide the whole pv out of the lh side to give a good cleaning?
Old 02-16-2016, 03:21 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by imsimon View Post
The honest answer is I dont fully understand how the pv works but im trying to read up, so iy rotates rather than just up/down? I think im happy now with stage one being take both pv covrrs off disconnect the arm and then a) like u say see if it will move and b) clean up any carbon and it looks possible to slide the whole pv out of the lh side to give a good cleaning?
Its an sentrifugal governator that spins and pushes the actuator arm up as the revs goes up. Its very simpel.

Ive done the same job as you do, also as in your case, the linkage and lower shock bearings was destroyed, in my case that broken that the link had stuck, and worn the engine cases.

Good luck!
Old 02-16-2016, 04:30 PM
Super Moderator

I wouldn't bother doing anything with the PV unless if you intend to remove the cylinder, head, or exhaust spigot. If it was working (read running well) prior I'd leave it.

As above. Don't try and cycle the PV while it's connected. It's a very simple setup and not hard to do. Just a messy job, best left to be done with the top end (which is why I service mine during pistons, to avoid having to do it any other time).
Old 02-17-2016, 01:46 AM

Hmm now im wondering shall I just bolt it all back together and stop overthinking everything or should I just put a new top end in while its apart so I know its all good but I suppose if its not brok why fix it!
Old 02-17-2016, 05:15 AM

heres the side of the piston

next will be a pic of top of it. Doesn't look to dissimilar to about a year ago
Old 02-17-2016, 05:17 AM