Rieju & GasGas Legacy Riders Club Forum  

Go Back   Rieju & GasGas Legacy Riders Club Forum > GasGas Enduro Technical Forums > Enduro Engine 4 stroke (including EFI & Exhaust)

Enduro Engine 4 stroke (including EFI & Exhaust) 4 stroke engine, EFI, and exhaust discussion

Old 06-28-2009, 11:08 PM

Question 2004 450 FSE Hot Starting Issues-

Just purchased a used 450 FSE with Olins suspension. I am an avid trials rider in Southern California. The bike has approx. 1,100 miles on it. So far when it runs it has been a good bike. It handles better than my old KTM 525. I have ridden it about 150 miles mostly back and forth to work. Once in a while when I try to start the bike after it has been sitting for a few minutes and it is still hot it wont start. It sounds like it is trying but, just blurps as I hit the magic button. I heard the EFI for the 2004 model had issues starting when hot. If I kick it manualy it will fire up after a few tries but, will not using the magic button. It will just where down the battery. I hear the bikes use the same EFI as Ducati. I have a local Ducati dealer that might be able to help. Is there anyone in Southern Cal. that can help me out? Do I need to have the EFI trimmed. I heard the bikes run fat. The fuel milege isn't the greatest.
I live in San Diego. Please tell me I did not make a mistake going to Gas Gas.

Old 06-29-2009, 09:50 AM

They do have starting issues I'm afraid. I don't have an 04, mine is an 06 and seems to start easy when warm although it needs a couple of revolutions on the starter where many carb bikes will fire immediately. Mine seems to have an issue starting when it's cool or cold ambient and the engine is cold.

Are you sure the mixture is fat? I thought the GasGas problem was usually too lean? This may or may not help you but it does the trick when mine is cold. Naturally I turn the key and wait for the pump to prime, I then open the throttle WFO and hit the starter and while it is spinning over I let go of the throttle so it closes, if it fires within another couple of revolutions I keep the starter button depressed for another 4 or 5 turns i.e. while the engine idles. If it doesn't catch I turn the ignition off and start again.

The 04's I heard rumoured were the most awkward to start but at least yours starts on the kicker. Mine never does.

The whole GG 4 stroke starting issue is pretty poor I'm afraid. They have never really sorted it fully. In my opinion the bikes should start easily in any conditions within operating range, with electric or kick. You'd at least expect them to start easy in a climate similar to the country they're made in - which is similar to California!

But .... yes I would get it trimmed and serviced. Make sure the throttle body is clean and has no leaks or issues, air filter is good and correctly oiled. Also get the valve clearances checked.
Old 06-30-2009, 07:19 AM

Default Hot Starting

Thanks for the help.
I think it is running fat because when I pull the plug it is wet and black.
Do you think a Ducati dealer can adjust the EFI?
I will clean up the throttle body this week end.
Any other issues I need to know about?