Rieju & GasGas Legacy Riders Club Forum  

Go Back   Rieju & GasGas Legacy Riders Club Forum > GasGas Enduro Technical Forums > Enduro Chassis & Body

Enduro Chassis & Body Enduro Frame, Plastic, Brakes, Bars, Controls, wheels, tires, sprockets & gearing.

Old 11-29-2010, 09:17 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mcnut View Post
Regardng rocks...we do a lot of riding in a super secret limestone quarry. Plenty of rock there. The carbide tipped studs of the Trellie's hold up fine.
I've been told that by a number of guys who ride in new england. Don't sweat the rocks just ride. One rider is on his seventh season on a set of trellies. Although he said the older ones seem to hold up better than the newer ones. I've been debating getting a set of trellies .. there are a couple of guys in my area that make homebrew tires that are suppose to be pretty good.

Old 11-29-2010, 10:29 PM

We ride a good mix of rocks, roots, logs and dirt and honestly, the way you ride has a lot more to do with tire longevity than where you ride. Carrying momentum and being smooth will get you way farther than pinning it in the snow. You still use the rubber knobs on the rocks because the studs can't bite so they flex out of the way, if you are spinning, you loose studs. If you can maintain good traction with throttle control your tires will last a lot longer.

Eff: thanks for the IT desert recommendation, I was eye balling one last year but wasn't sure I could get the stud count I wanted.

Wes.
85 RZ500
75 XL250
71 CB100
08 DRZ70 (son's)
Old 11-30-2010, 06:52 AM

These days Trelleborg tyres are made in Czech republic. Same factory produces Mitas tyres. Older Trellies were different and "hand made" in Sweden. I don't say that new Trellies are bad, but different. Mitas makes their own studded endurotires too. I'd try Mitas as soon as I have used my Trellies and Michelins.

Someone said that you can use one pair of tires for many years. Ok it depends how much you ride with them and how you ride with them. In my personal use one rear tyre is good for one race. Sure I can train with it about half winter after that, but it's not good enough for race. Front tyre may last half winter (or not).

Most thing that spoil spikes is transitional riding from one stage to another. Roads are often tarmac and spikes get hot if time schedule is tight. In practice they melt.

In March we have Paijanteen ympariajo (Around Lake Paijanne race). It lasts from friday morning to sunday evening. Total course is about 900km. It includes 26 stages and the rest of it is mostly icy tarmac roads. It's possible to succeed with one pair of tyres if driven carefuly, but most riders use two rear tyres. I'm going to be prepared with two sets and extra rear... (Thats the most expensive part of that race because I have to pay it from my own pocket

When it hurts you know you're allive!

Gas Gas EC 300 Factory Racing 2012
- Ohlins TTX both front and rear
- Rekluse Core EXP 2.0 + Rekluse clutch basket
- Scalvini full exhaust system
- S3 Head
- Trusty adjustable PV cover

That was ultimate setup for me...
Now trying something else for a while...

Last edited by GasTimppa; 11-30-2010 at 03:58 PM.
Old 11-30-2010, 08:54 PM
Super Moderator

Glenn,

I came across this today. Another option for slightly cheaper studded tires. Kevin's Cycle uses the IRC tires with 2 different stud lengths for either rocky or snowy trails.

http://kevinscycle.blogspot.com/2010...ded-tires.html

Scroll to the bottom for all studded tire prices:
http://www.kevinscycleracing.com/tires.htm
Old 11-30-2010, 09:59 PM

Matt,

I've done a fair amount of business with Kevin's over the years. Good supplier. That article was a good read, and it describes my style with a trials tire exactly. We'll see, I have to get the bike apart for service and back together, lots of little stuff. If winter is tough this year with a lot of snow I'll be more motivated.
Old 01-08-2011, 02:05 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by GasTimppa View Post
These days Trelleborg tyres are made in Czech republic. Same factory produces Mitas tyres. Older Trellies were different and "hand made" in Sweden. I don't say that new Trellies are bad, but different. Mitas makes their own studded endurotires too. I'd try Mitas as soon as I have used my Trellies and Michelins.

Someone said that you can use one pair of tires for many years. Ok it depends how much you ride with them and how you ride with them. In my personal use one rear tyre is good for one race. Sure I can train with it about half winter after that, but it's not good enough for race. Front tyre may last half winter (or not).

Most thing that spoil spikes is transitional riding from one stage to another. Roads are often tarmac and spikes get hot if time schedule is tight. In practice they melt.

In March we have Paijanteen ympariajo (Around Lake Paijanne race). It lasts from friday morning to sunday evening. Total course is about 900km. It includes 26 stages and the rest of it is mostly icy tarmac roads. It's possible to succeed with one pair of tyres if driven carefuly, but most riders use two rear tyres. I'm going to be prepared with two sets and extra rear... (Thats the most expensive part of that race because I have to pay it from my own pocket

No more Trellies.
I ordeded Trelleborg rear tyre and got it yesterday. Surprisingly it looked like Trelleborg but was Mitas. So Trelleborg as trademark is history. Guy that sold it said that in his personal opinion Mitas tyres are as good as trellies were. He raced last winterseason with Mitas tyres in Finnish enduro championship series with 250 HM Honda.

Trellies were known as good tires when there is lots of snow. They were not so good in solid ice. Let's see how Mitas marked "trellies" work...

When it hurts you know you're allive!

Gas Gas EC 300 Factory Racing 2012
- Ohlins TTX both front and rear
- Rekluse Core EXP 2.0 + Rekluse clutch basket
- Scalvini full exhaust system
- S3 Head
- Trusty adjustable PV cover

That was ultimate setup for me...
Now trying something else for a while...

Last edited by GasTimppa; 01-08-2011 at 02:07 AM. Reason: mistake
Old 01-08-2011, 12:31 PM

Thats whats interesting about the shorter stud options from Kevin's Racing.
Old 01-08-2011, 06:38 PM

Pics of mine. Two seasons and almost shot. I ride once a week throughout the winter, as long as it's not below 10F. I've got them on the back of my 450 and that bike is definitely hard on them.

Old 01-09-2011, 09:51 PM

WTEC studded some irc's last year(he does a really good job) and they didnt hold up the greatest. not as well as the ac-10. but studded trelles from the factory are by far the best. ive yet to see the penetration and stud life on a homemade tire compare to a real trelle t-454 winter friction.
Old 01-10-2011, 08:10 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2whlrcr View Post
Pics of mine. Two seasons and almost shot. I ride once a week throughout the winter, as long as it's not below 10F. I've got them on the back of my 450 and that bike is definitely hard on them.
You're doing great if your screws stay in that long. I can't get the teenagers here to last a day without spitting at least some of them out.

I prefer Trellies but haven't tried an IRC. A friend had a Pirelli that looked as if it was studded using the same process and carbide-tipped studs as the Trelleborg. His rear was toast after one season, although he's still using the front.

Last edited by mcnut; 01-10-2011 at 08:13 AM. Reason: typo