Rieju & GasGas Legacy Riders Club Forum  

Go Back   Rieju & GasGas Legacy Riders Club Forum > GasGas Enduro Technical Forums > Enduro Chassis & Body

Enduro Chassis & Body Enduro Frame, Plastic, Brakes, Bars, Controls, wheels, tires, sprockets & gearing.

Old 01-10-2011, 09:51 AM

The compound used on an 8ply white stripe trelle is deffinetly a big contributor the stud longevity, when we tried stuffing a red stripe it wouldn't hold up, I'd say maybe 5-6 rides and she was toast. My friends and I have tried screws years ago before studding and maybe get 2-3 rides out of them before they needed a redo.

Old 01-20-2011, 02:55 PM
Site Sponsor

My last front tire was a trelleborg,[mitas]. I didn't like it at all. The studs are too tall for the type of riding we do[lots of rocks]. Also the side knobs tore off within a couple of rides. We were using snowmobile studs for the rear tire. They really hookup and last a long time. But they are really heavy. It really makes your rear suspension handle funny. We use to use sheet metal screws before that but they would be trashed in one ride.
I am going to try the grip studs. I ordered up a couple hundred for the front and a couple hundred for the rear. I just need to figure out a good set of tires to mount them up on. Any suggestions would be appreciated. Remember we ride lots of rocks. I'll let you guys know how the grip studs work out later on. Ross

Old 01-20-2011, 03:34 PM
Silver Level Site Supporter

Rosco,

A lot of guys make them up here and they are way cheaper than going the Grip Studs route. Grip studs are real nice but they are really expensive.

Chech these out:

http://www.kevinscycleracing.com/tir...nter%2008%2009
Old 01-21-2011, 12:28 PM

The Grip Suds are expensive but the beauty is that they can be reused in another tire if you want.

My understanding also is they do not pull out easily either and it's not totally necessary to stud every knob to get a workable tire.

Just some food for thought.
Old 01-27-2011, 03:01 AM

Hi!

I have used almost every possible combination of brands (Trelleborgs, Metzeller Unicross front, Kenda Trackmaster rear with short studs, rear BF Goodrich which lasted quite well, Cheng Shin front with short studs, etc). The best pair until now is what I currently use, Mitas C-17 (white stripe) front (light and offers very good grip) and Pirelli MX Extra 120/100-18 rear. The Pirelli holds up well and the rubber stays in place. You have to install less studs on the Pirelli but the carcass is so good that I don't feel it lacks compared to the other studded tires. If you ride on rocky trails without much snow, just use shorter studs.

Leon
Old 12-17-2011, 07:40 AM

Hey Glenn,
I know a guy over in dupont Pa that was looking into studding a few tires up to sell in his shop.. Next time I stop by I'll check with what he went with.. rides the same stuff as we do.. rocks and trails.. just up near wilkes barre..
03 KTM 625 sxc-rehab unit-did its job and now gone
03 GG 250 ec-gone
97 GG 250 ec Gone