Rieju & GasGas Legacy Riders Club Forum  

Go Back   Rieju & GasGas Legacy Riders Club Forum > GasGas Enduro Technical Forums > Enduro Chassis & Body

Enduro Chassis & Body Enduro Frame, Plastic, Brakes, Bars, Controls, wheels, tires, sprockets & gearing.

Old 01-02-2019, 07:20 PM
Platinum Level Site Supporter

Default Desert Tire recommendations?

I know that the AT81 is the preferred desert weapon, but as I'm "price point conscious" (tight, some would say), what other options are out there for a good desert tire?

And when looking at the AT81, I see the rear has the "RC" designation for the desert model, is the front the same? Is there a desert version for the front?

Old 01-02-2019, 10:42 PM

Not a fan of the AT81's myself. The best front tires I have used in the desert have been the Maxxis SI and, IMO THE best, the Goldentyre Fatty. I normally get about a year out of each so well worth their price.

Good rear tires have been the Sedona MX907HP and Shinko 525. I found the perfect rear tire (GT523KX), IMO, but Goldentyre discontinued it. So, I've been on the hunt again. I think the Kenda Ibex is next up to try.
'11 EC250R
'98 KDX220
Old 01-03-2019, 07:49 AM
Platinum Level Site Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by SS109 View Post
Not a fan of the AT81's myself. The best front tires I have used in the desert have been the Maxxis SI and, IMO THE best, the Goldentyre Fatty. I normally get about a year out of each so well worth their price.

Good rear tires have been the Sedona MX907HP and Shinko 525. I found the perfect rear tire (GT523KX), IMO, but Goldentyre discontinued it. So, I've been on the hunt again. I think the Kenda Ibex is next up to try.
Good suggestions, thanks for the details. I found your review on Thumper Talk about the 907, that one seems to be leading the pack, so to speak. I'll likely be looking at the Maxxis SI for the front as it's price is right in my wheelhouse.
Old 01-04-2019, 02:13 AM

I would venture to say you'll like the SI. It's not the best overall in traction but I think it makes up for that as it's super predictable. It doesn't go away on you without warning like some tires and you can tell when you're getting to the limit of traction. Knobs hold up well to rocks even when running Tubliss and only 7psi.

Yeah, the Sedona MX 907HP is my go to rear tire right now. I think you'll like it if you run low psi. I'm currently trying the Shinko 525 but the jury is still out on it.
'11 EC250R
'98 KDX220