Rieju & GasGas Legacy Riders Club Forum  

Go Back   Rieju & GasGas Legacy Riders Club Forum > GasGas Enduro Technical Forums > Enduro Intake/Carburetion - 2 stroke

Enduro Intake/Carburetion - 2 stroke Jetting, Reeds, Air Filters, etc.

Old 10-14-2015, 07:30 PM

Default Need advice While I learn

This is what I have;
Throttle Slide #7
Main Jet Unknown
Pilot Jet #35
Needle: N1EC

This is what is happening, sluggish on the bottom but hits hard 1/2+ throttle.
Throttle off idle 0-1/4 is ok, but not super crisp.
Have to turn the idle screw in to keep idle in N and in Gear. N idles high in gear idles slow, really slow sometimes stalls.
Throttle 1/4-WOT seems to be good.
Location: 1200' up to 3500' elevation temperature now in the 60-70 degrees F.
What I am looking for, more Bottom end and less top end. Slow trails and beginner rider, I don't need crazy top end!

Gearing is 12/48, plan to get a 13 and leave the 48 on rear, unless you all say that's no good. The bike seems to be set up for the track, I want to set it up for trails.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMG_1569.jpg (97.1 KB, 28 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_1570.jpg (95.5 KB, 25 views)

Old 10-14-2015, 11:14 PM

Ditch the 12 cs sprocket, opt for a13/50 or 51. 12 cs is a little tight, promotes unnecessary chain wear on the slider.

Try a 40 pilot, play the the needle clip, pull plug checks......I'm jetted "fat" on the bottom for less hit, more grunt.

The main 178?? Just a guess......
AMA D36
375X
OTHG
375S

***Thanks for the support : Twin Air /O'Neil Racing / Race 100% / Matrix Concepts / ODI / Mika Metals
Old 10-14-2015, 11:18 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rick View Post
Ditch the 12 cs sprocket, opt for a13/50 or 51. 12 cs is a little tight, promotes unnecessary chain wear on the slider.

Try a 40 pilot, play the the needle clip, pull plug checks......I'm jetted "fat" on the bottom for less hit, more grunt.

The main 178?? Just a guess......
Thanks, That is kind of what I am looking for. A starting point that I can work from.

With my Main not having any markings on it, I don't know where I'm at.

Plan to get a sprocket and jets tomorrow if I can find locally, if not will order them.
Old 10-15-2015, 12:19 AM

Location: From Swaziland, Now Hamilton New Zealand the “look but don’t touch” enduro heaven

Also try a nedj needle. It has smoother power

I started with 13/48 and changed to 12/48 and then went 13/51. I am now going to change back to 12/48 as the bike handles a bit better with the longer wheelbase and I prefer the 12/48 and 13/51 over stock for climbing. Often using second to climb
Old 10-15-2015, 11:35 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by swazi_matt View Post
Also try a nedj needle. It has smoother power

I started with 13/48 and changed to 12/48 and then went 13/51. I am now going to change back to 12/48 as the bike handles a bit better with the longer wheelbase and I prefer the 12/48 and 13/51 over stock for climbing. Often using second to climb
Not sure about the 200 displacements, but the NEDJ and NEDW needles are typically too lean on the ASI screw top carb.
Old 10-15-2015, 12:41 PM

Just put the 178 Main and 40 Pilot in. Started with ASO 1.5 out and the Idle screw 1.5 out.

I had to pull ASO another .5 out and Pull the Idle screw .25-.5 out to get to idle.

I did what I found on a link, put in 3rd with throttle just open....Blipped it and it goes Bwwaaahhhaaaa....
Old 10-15-2015, 01:02 PM

You give up a lot of the bikes potential when you gear too low.
Besides losing the warp overdrive top gear feature.

Although it seems the bike is easier to climb and easier to get through tight technical woods.The reality is you give up the broad power delivery.The gaps are just too narrow and you are forced to shift too often.

Especially climbing big hills.
You'll be stuck in a very narrow window with which to work the hill with..
Old 10-15-2015, 01:40 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by gasgasxc View Post
You give up a lot of the bikes potential when you gear too low.
Besides losing the warp overdrive top gear feature.

Although it seems the bike is easier to climb and easier to get through tight technical woods.The reality is you give up the broad power delivery.The gaps are just too narrow and you are forced to shift too often.

Especially climbing big hills.
You'll be stuck in a very narrow window with which to work the hill with..
I think for right now I am going to just leave the gearing alone till I figure out this bike. I posted a video of what the motor sounds like in my "Noise" thread.

I am watching video's to see what a 2 stroke should sound like at idle to see how I am doing setting it.
Old 10-15-2015, 05:40 PM

Well, put new plug in and fired it up to test it in the field. It was running like crap! Keep falling on it's face. So I moved the clip up and now is a bit better. But when I do the 3rd gear test, half throttle......Buuhhhhhaaaaa....flat on face. This is most definitely tinker town! Oh the joys of learning a new thing...haha
Old 10-15-2015, 07:02 PM

Well as I thought I knew what I was doing I DON'T.......

I just don't understand this jetting stuff. I have read and read and read, but it's not turning the light bulb on yet.

N1EC #3 Clip
Main 178
Pilot #40
Slide #7
One thing I noticed, I started it with no CHOKE on one kick. It doesn't feel connected to the bike, late response. Sitting idling, throttle feels fine, under load it doesn't respond, or bogs a bit.
Air screw is out around 3 turns and the Idle screw is 1/2-3/4 out.

What next? Do I try a different main? Different Pilot?
Pilot is for idle and low RPM's, so which way do I go? #42 or #38? What is #35 compared to a #40, richer or leaner?
Main is for on throttle 1/2-WOT, which way do I go? Lower # or Higher#
I have already tried different clip postitions, from #2 all the way to #5. I am using a brand new plug, that looks to have some black on it. But I don't have room to open it up in all gears. I am limited to 2 gear then have to let off or I will be in the woods or in a house...

Suggestions please.

Edited: I read the post on here about jetting, "If you can start it cold with no choke, the pilot circuit is too rich.
If, when warm, the idle seems to hang when blipping the throttle, the pilot circuit is too lean"

But then it say's this "
On a 2-stroke - Riding in 3rd gear, with a warm engine and the throttle BARELY cracked open, roll the throttle to 1/2. If the bike sputters and crackles, and you feel like you have to keep rolling on the throttle to smooth it out, the needle is too rich. If, on the otherhand, you get the dreaded 'buhhhhhhwaaaaa', the needle is too lean."

So I am having BOTH issues.......If one is to rich and the other is to lean, which way do I go? I'm so confused now...