Rieju & GasGas Legacy Riders Club Forum  

Go Back   Rieju & GasGas Legacy Riders Club Forum > General Forums > General Discussions & Announcements

General Discussions & Announcements General Announcements, General Questions, e.g. What bike do I buy?, etc.

Old 08-23-2018, 08:04 PM
Super Moderator

Default 2018 EC250 Build up

Well ladies and gentlemen.. I have succumb to the pressures of the new bikes. I went and saw the local dealer the other day to pass some time and was advised that one of the bikes was apparently mine. He dropped it off the following afternoon!!

So with this new machine, I have a couple new things to learn, and many things to setup.

She hasn't even been started yet, so I'll likely pull it all down and give it a solid PD before we go anywhere.

Rethal twin walls will be getting carried over from the old one.
Quick pull throttle will too! and the P3 pipe guard.

In relation to the PV, are the adjustments from fully seated? IE less preload on the spring makes the PV open easier resulting in more aggressive delivery? Makes sense to me.

What are the thoughts on the starter motor? Have read that the heavier guage earth leads are an investment, however anyone doing wet mods? I don't need a button.

Wiring harness wise I'll be stripping her back to minimal. No indicators needed, same for front brake switch. I'm not sure if I need to keep the OEM switch block either. Might just put a kill switch and the starter. I presume the same old same old with the nissin master that you get better feel without it.

I'll give the 13-49 gearing a go, but will have the old 50T supersprox stealth on hand (also taken from the old girl).

Stock rubber is going on the shelf, and I'll doll her in dunnies.

Suspension wise, dumping the middle bolt on the triple clamps. Has anyone felt the need to upgrade springs? Stock 4.2nm (approx .43kg/mm) seems a bit on the light side. I am currently using .45kg/mm on my 13 model with KYB SSS. Rear 53nm (5.3kg/mm) shock sounds about right though. I was going to start the forks at 13 clicks out on each and go from there.

What else do I need to know?

Radiator braces and bash plates, recommendations please!
What's the g.o. with the blow by plumbing (runs from airbox and pv vent back into the intake boot). Are people keeping this? Do the XC have a different airboot or just blanked off?

Squish will be measured up and probably factor in a head job up front! Jetting will be something like 42 NEDW#2 175.

Looks like a nice bit of kit. Won't look this nice for long.

Old 08-23-2018, 08:10 PM
Super Moderator

Ooooh yeah! Will the old silencer bolt straight on? Or do I need to pull the old saw out and cut the new one down straight up too?
Old 08-23-2018, 08:27 PM

Power valve is from full closed. Most folks settle around 2 turns out.

50t sprocket won’t fit with stock chain.

I’m a faster Vet B rider and run the forks 2 clicks from full soft on compression and 9 clicks out on rebound

Try the light fork springs first. I’m pretty heavy at 260lbs (118kg) and only running .54 springs up front and a 6.8 on the rear.

Don’t think the old silencer will fit. Have tried though.

Squish seems to be pretty consistent on the new bikes. Most are reporting in the neighborhood of 1.6mm. I’m running an RK Tek head with a squish of 1.1mm

Jetting carries over pretty well from the older generation. I settled on an N3CH needle, 42p, slightly cut stock slide, 185 main. Running 110 octane at 50:1

Starter motor and bendix are flawless. Change all the cables to 8 gauge wire, including the positive cable from the battery to the relay. Here in the states the ECU was an issue as well. After the re-flash, I havent had the first issue.

Epoxy the Kickstand foot or it will fall out.

Consider upgrading the air box fasteners with KTM ones. The stockers are a little loose.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Old 08-23-2018, 08:33 PM

Also,

I’m running the SXS skid plate. Very nice piece but not sure if you have access to them down there. AXP makes a nice one too.

I went with Enduro Engineering braces and the stock plastic louvers. They are very thick and don’t plug up with mud like a full on radiator guard.

The mounting tabs for the chain guide block are pretty weak and bend easily. Consider the Bulletproof Designs swingarm guard to prevent the tabs from breaking off

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Old 08-23-2018, 08:39 PM
Gold Level Site Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jakobi View Post
. . .

Looks like a nice bit of kit. Won't look this nice for long.
Never had anything new before. I guess the procedure is to push it down a steep bank cartwheeling into a creek. Might as well get it over with without you on board.

I think we need pics (before the aforementioned running in procedure).

Lucky sod.
'22 765 Street Triple RS
'21 XTrainer
'69 Stinger T125 Suzuki
'23 TRS 250RR (it's a Trials thing)
Old 08-23-2018, 09:16 PM
Super Moderator

I'll try get a few pics of her.. She's just another stock bike though!

Thanks for the words re the swingarm. I'll look into it.

I'll try the stock springs, but if I need a bit more up front I think I have a spare .46kg/mm in the shed, so easy to bump it up a touch.

Anyone after some old stock, I'll be having a clearance sale. Have all sorts of crap for the 2010-17 models. Probably my S3 ported and machined head and cylinder (250cc). An S3 head and 300cc inserts (unless if I put them on the bike to sell). TTX shock for 2010-11 model, TTX inserts for Sachs 48mm legs, full KYB fork, Yamaha axle, spacers and caliper carrier.. Among other bits and pieces!
Old 08-24-2018, 06:16 AM

Definitely check spokes, mine were finger tight on back wheel after first ride. Check out your dealer or heavier battery and solenoid cables, I got these for free from mine here in WA While your at it with the switches add an of switch for the lights so the battery can get a better charge up. I'd be interested to know how you go if you cut down the standard muffler, it's a bit of a spooge tube. Got a TSP head on it last week and and spooge seems to have improved though along with bottom end delivery. For Springs I put a single 0.46 spring in forks and a 5.5 shock spring for my 92kg race weight. I might drop the oil level a little next time it's due for an oil change. This is for a GP300. Enjoy the new ride!!

GG EC 450, GG EC 250 08, KTM 525 EXC 06, KTM 400 EXC 01, XR400 97, VTR1000 98, VFR750 95, Husaberg FE400 96, RMX250 91, Maico 490 84, IT250J 81, RM250C2 79, Bultaco Alpina 250 77 - All sold
Old 08-24-2018, 10:58 AM

Quote:
I went and saw the local dealer the other day to pass some time and was advised that one of the bikes was apparently mine. He dropped it off the following afternoon!!
Congratulations on the purchase. Get a set of plastics without decals and swap that on straght away. Keep the shiney stuff for when you resell it.
Old 08-24-2018, 02:11 PM

Congrats!

"If you stop eating donuts you will live 3 years longer. It's just 3 more years that you want a donut."
―Comedian Lewis Black

"I think best when I have a wrench in my hands." Soichiro Honda

"Dreams are messages from the deep."
-Unknown Sardaukar
Old 08-24-2018, 02:39 PM

Location: From Swaziland, Now Hamilton New Zealand the “look but don’t touch” enduro heaven

Quote:
I'll try get a few pics of her.. She's just another stock bike though!

Thanks for the words re the swingarm. I'll look into it.

I'll try the stock springs, but if I need a bit more up front I think I have a spare .46kg/mm in the shed, so easy to bump it up a touch.

Anyone after some old stock, I'll be having a clearance sale. Have all sorts of crap for the 2010-17 models. Probably my S3 ported and machined head and cylinder (250cc). An S3 head and 300cc inserts (unless if I put them on the bike to sell). TTX shock for 2010-11 model, TTX inserts for Sachs 48mm legs, full KYB fork, Yamaha axle, spacers and caliper carrier.. Among other bits and pieces!
Hmmmm ... might be interested in some of that bling, especially now that I’m a bit closer to you.

Congrats on the new bike you jammy bugger