Rieju & GasGas Legacy Riders Club Forum  

Go Back   Rieju & GasGas Legacy Riders Club Forum > General Forums > General Discussions & Announcements

General Discussions & Announcements General Announcements, General Questions, e.g. What bike do I buy?, etc.

Old 01-02-2011, 05:33 PM
Platinum Level Site Supporter

Default 2011 EC300E maiden voyage

I've been riding for 40 years and have had around 30 dirt bikes and my GG is significantly nicer than anything I've ever ridden.

The motor is magic, it handles like it can read your mind and the steering is so light it feels like it has power steering.

It far exceeded my hopes and dreams for what I wanted.

P.S. My clutch squeeled a bit here and there (very slight) but since reading here I know it's nothing to worry about.

Old 01-02-2011, 06:26 PM

Awesome glad you are enjoying your bike; they are sweet. I like your comment on the power steering feel.
Old 01-02-2011, 07:42 PM

The steering feeling like "power" steering was the first and most significant thing I noticed.

The suspension was really good too. Don't think it needs a revalve.
Old 01-02-2011, 07:47 PM
Super Moderator

No pics?
Old 01-02-2011, 10:38 PM

I agree Bob......I find the bike is very front oriented..also very easy to loft it and place it where you need with a little snap of throttle.....

whats your take on the metzelers...??
Old 01-03-2011, 05:44 AM

I was running Trelleborgs. The Metzelers "look" like they would work but I don't know, they are still showroom clean.

The electric starter is finicky and kicks out a lot. It frequently takes 2 or 3 stabs at it to get it to start. I think there will be a fix for it but in the mean time I still like it. Twice I didn't make it up a nasty slick hillclimb and I was able start the bike while standing next to it. Very nice.
Old 01-03-2011, 08:43 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bobt250 View Post
I was running Trelleborgs. The Metzelers "look" like they would work but I don't know, they are still showroom clean.

The electric starter is finicky and kicks out a lot. It frequently takes 2 or 3 stabs at it to get it to start. I think there will be a fix for it but in the mean time I still like it. Twice I didn't make it up a nasty slick hillclimb and I was able start the bike while standing next to it. Very nice.
My starter has been working fine. I understand there is some adjustment that can be made using washers to change the bendix engagement point. Maybe Clay or a dealer tech could elaborate more. Glad you like your 300! Your comments are pretty spot on with my first impressions. The rear Metzeler on my bike will be gone as soon as humanly possible. So far, it's the only blemish on an otherwise stellar bike!
Old 01-03-2011, 08:47 AM

My e-start is also finicky. Especially when the battery gets a bit low from "overuse". I know Rich Smith did re-grease it and also did some fiddling with a washer or something for adjustment. As the day went on during my last ride, the starter became less and less reliable, and was working about 1 out of 4 tries.

I will put a full charge on the battery after my suspension comes back, and see if it makes a difference.
Old 01-03-2011, 10:21 AM

Rich didn't do the washer swap on mine because it seemed good in the shop. It seemed to get less reliable as the day went on also. A friend was riding it and he resorted to kicking it once because it wouldn't engage. I never had to kick it but it was always a question in my mind every time I pushed the button. I will do the washer swap but I suspect that isn't the ultimate cure. The full charge no doubt helps but my battery was never drained at all during the day.

There were 2 instances of it staying engaged for quite some time. We went through a deep water crossing and when we got to the other side we shut off our bikes to wait for 2 guys who didn't want to cross the water to go the long way around. I didn't realize that the water crossing cooled my engine enough that it needed choked when I tried to start it. It cranked and cranked until I reached up with my pointer finger and pulled the choke lever (very nice the choke being up there). Another time was when someone else was riding it and he dumped it in a big mud pit. When he picked it up it was loaded up and it cranked over several times before it fired. If it would only do that all the time it would be awesome.
Old 01-03-2011, 10:44 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bobt250 View Post
Rich didn't do the washer swap on mine because it seemed good in the shop. It seemed to get less reliable as the day went on also. A friend was riding it and he resorted to kicking it once because it wouldn't engage. I never had to kick it but it was always a question in my mind every time I pushed the button. I will do the washer swap but I suspect that isn't the ultimate cure. The full charge no doubt helps but my battery was never drained at all during the day.

There were 2 instances of it staying engaged for quite some time. We went through a deep water crossing and when we got to the other side we shut off our bikes to wait for 2 guys who didn't want to cross the water to go the long way around. I didn't realize that the water crossing cooled my engine enough that it needed choked when I tried to start it. It cranked and cranked until I reached up with my pointer finger and pulled the choke lever (very nice the choke being up there). Another time was when someone else was riding it and he dumped it in a big mud pit. When he picked it up it was loaded up and it cranked over several times before it fired. If it would only do that all the time it would be awesome.
You have a choke lever on the bars?