Rieju & GasGas Legacy Riders Club Forum  

Go Back   Rieju & GasGas Legacy Riders Club Forum > General Forums > General Discussions & Announcements

General Discussions & Announcements General Announcements, General Questions, e.g. What bike do I buy?, etc.

Old 02-28-2021, 12:09 PM
Gold Level Site Supporter

Default Split from: Next Bike Thread

The OP bought a Beta 300RR and it led to a side discussion about the Rieju MR 300 http://www.gasgasrider.org/forum/showthread.php?t=25534

This thread is to separate that discussion so it doesn't detract from his purchase. IT details what my friend's purchase and the comparisons he did with Beta.

There are 3 versions of the Rieju MR300. Pro, Racing and Ranger. This is about the latter - the Ranger. I didn't know we had a dealer locally already that Rieju in stock about 30 minutes from me in Bellevue, WA. Frank's Motorbikes also stocks, Beta, TM, Sherco, enduro and trials models for each that has them. Here is a link to the Rieju models in the US.

My friend has a 2013 Husky 310 TE with a seat height of 37.4 inches. He struggled being able to ride it, due to short inseam. He was looking to replace it, I suggested he check out the Rieju because it was based on the GasGas and is a long standing company in Spain. He has always liked my 07 GG EC300. But wasn't sure since the seat height was too high for him.

He did some research About the Rieju and discovered we had a dealer nearby and that they made one with a lower seat height, the MR 300 Ranger.

Friday, I went with him to pick up his new bike. It gave me a chance to compare the Beta 300RR side by side with the Rieju MR 300 Racing and Ranger. The Ranger is definitely shorter by 2-3 inches at the seat.
It is advertised as 36.3" seat height according to Rieju website. But I measured his at 35.5"

Yesterday we went out to break it in. I took him on a trail I have taken him down several times with his Husky. Lot's of roots and and slippery stuff decent ups and downs. Normally I would stop and wait 10-15 seconds to wait for him to catch up. Yesterday he was just a couple of seconds behind me. I would stop at the top of climbs where there were blind corners with root wads to clear to make sure he made them, and he was able to bounce right over them and keep going. For him being able to flat foot on the ground makes all the difference in the world and it showed in his riding.

Frank told us it was based on the 2019 GasGas 300, the frame is the same, they have just adjusted the suspension to lower the bike, but still give good ground clearance for trail riding. It reminds me of those that used to buy the Pampera. This is a really good option for those that want to update or get the 200cc version.

The motor is tuned for low end power, great for the trails. The power delivery did not disappoint. The best part for my friend, is now he can relax, and concentrate on his riding techniques and not worry about if he can touch the ground if he gets stopped.

Last edited by Bryan; 02-28-2021 at 12:27 PM. Reason: add pictures

Old 02-28-2021, 02:53 PM

Location: From Swaziland, Now Hamilton New Zealand the “look but don’t touch” enduro heaven

and it has the same KYB forks as the big bikes?

I remember when the beta x-trail came out the only down side was the forks
(I rode one and could not fault the forks, but the one i rode had been slightly revalved)
Old 02-28-2021, 03:38 PM

Kyb forks yeah, but they are the open cartridge style originally fitted to early wr450s. Still a good fork for the majority of riders.
Old 02-28-2021, 05:00 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by swazi_matt View Post
and it has the same KYB forks as the big bikes?

I remember when the beta x-trail came out the only down side was the forks
(I rode one and could not fault the forks, but the one i rode had been slightly revalved)
The ranger has the lower end KYB open cartridge forks. The others have the new style.
Old 02-28-2021, 07:53 PM

Ranger was on my radar for my next bike until Gasgas started dissolving, ideal platform for those of us with a smaller inseam.
To me it seems most dirt bikes are built for 6'4" dudes lol.
Old 02-28-2021, 08:18 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gasser Nate View Post
Kyb forks yeah, but they are the open cartridge style originally fitted to early wr450s. Still a good fork for the majority of riders.
Yup. Ran a set of these on my old KDX and loved them. They're also a little bit lighter than the later closed cartridge SSS style KYB's.
'11 EC250R
'98 KDX220
Old 03-01-2021, 01:02 PM

Location: From Swaziland, Now Hamilton New Zealand the “look but don’t touch” enduro heaven

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bryan View Post
The ranger has the lower end KYB open cartridge forks. The others have the new style.
Ok. But being kyb there is a wealth of knowledge to revalve it to exactly what you want, and i would imagine you could swap them out for SSS forks easily too if needed

I honestly believe that GG move to kyb was the stimulus for ktm to up the price and buy them out
Old 03-01-2021, 01:08 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by swazi_matt View Post
Ok. But being kyb there is a wealth of knowledge to revalve it to exactly what you want, and i would imagine you could swap them out for SSS forks easily too if needed

I honestly believe that GG move to kyb was the stimulus for ktm to up the price and buy them out
My biggest reason for posting this was this is a good option for those that bought Pamperas for their kids or significant others. But also a great option for those that are height challenged. And you still get the 300 motor. These KYBs are a huge step up from what came with the Pampera.
Old 03-01-2021, 05:46 PM

Following with interest. Love my 07 300, run with mild preload it fits me perfectly.

But its not getting any newer.
'22 765 Street Triple RS
'21 XTrainer
'69 Stinger T125 Suzuki
'23 TRS 250RR (it's a Trials thing)
Old 03-02-2021, 01:47 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bryan View Post
My biggest reason for posting this was this is a good option for those that bought Pamperas for their kids or significant others. But also a great option for those that are height challenged. And you still get the 300 motor. These KYBs are a huge step up from what came with the Pampera.
when i rode the xtrainer i felt it was the perfect bike for me and the type of riding i was doing at the time, light, low seat and great for climbing rocky hills and it was not half way between a mountain bike and an enduro like the ktm free ride. I suspect the ranger falls in a similar bracket

Tags
mr300, rieju