Rieju & GasGas Legacy Riders Club Forum  

Go Back   Rieju & GasGas Legacy Riders Club Forum > GasGas Enduro Technical Forums > Enduro Intake/Carburetion - 2 stroke

Enduro Intake/Carburetion - 2 stroke Jetting, Reeds, Air Filters, etc.

Old 05-21-2014, 04:19 PM
Administrator

What pilot are you running with the cck needle?

jeff

Old 05-21-2014, 04:55 PM
Super Moderator

MJC. Can you rip out some part numbers for the Kawi needles? I'm interested in trying one. Sounds like just what I'm after (or maybe a #8 slide.. mmm).
Old 05-21-2014, 05:06 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by webmaster View Post
What pilot are you running with the cck needle?

jeff
38 pilot
178 main
CCK needle, clip #2
#7 slide
AS 2-2 1/2 (depends on elevation)
1974 XL125
Old 05-21-2014, 06:05 PM
Administrator

The reason I ask is that you will probably find things will work better if you back off the idle - go up on the pilot to a 42 or 45.... I would start at 2 1/2 to 2 3/4 on air screw.

You will find that your idle mixture screw will have more "effect" if you do this. Or just pop for RBs carb mod... If your bike has some time on it you may want to have rob replace the nozzle on the carb (the orifice the needle fits into) - they become oval in shape over time and it becomes harder to jet along the way...

Pick up non-ethanol fuel if you haven't already - pure-gas.org to look up a station here in Oregon. I buy mine either at laurel valley store or in Lake Oswego... I have a portland address but closer to beaverton...

What mixture ratio on the fuel/oil?

thanks,
jeff

p.s. I live in oregon and need to go riding with you... :-)
Old 05-21-2014, 06:19 PM
Platinum Level Site Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by webmaster View Post
The reason I ask is that you will probably find things will work better if you back off the idle - go up on the pilot to a 42 or 45.... I would start at 2 1/2 to 2 3/4 on air screw.
Ok, I'm a newb on the jetting stuff, but I thought that once you moved beyond 2.5 turns on the a/s that the theory was you were too lean on the PJ and should go up one? Or maybe it's a moot point if you throw a 40 PJ in and then have the a/s at 1.25 to 1.5 turns?

I ordered the CCK needle too and plan to throw that in the bike when we're up at McCubbins next weekend - or actually walk my brother-in-law doing so...lol. It'll be interesting to test the Yami needle, have him ride that, then test the CCK needle and see the difference.

And Jeff - if you're not busy the last weekend of May, you'll find a group of GGs hanging around - firffighter will be there Saturday and I'll be there from Thursday (hopefully) through Sunday. Definitely Friday through Sunday for me - still trying to work out the details on departing Thurs.

Anyway, back to the jetting stuff
Old 05-21-2014, 08:55 PM

Thanks for the info. After checking my GasGas maintenance log, I was wrong. I'm running a 40 pilot. And yes, I always use non-ethanol fuel.
Remember, this jetting/needle works for me through trial and error. I am by no means an expert. Dirt bike guys can go on forever about jetting. But I did get starting point from this site. There's good info out there. Just fine tune to your liking. Again, I went from a stalling in every corner and obstacle, wicked hit, motocross like throttle to a smooth trials like feel with a $7 needle. It really surprised me. Ron Black from RB Designs even confirmed it for me. He says a needle can reveal the character of a 2-stroke.
Would like to get together and ride. That'd be nice to get together with other GasGas riders. Can't now. Awaiting parts after last Fridays ride. Apparently my right side radiator and shroud don't like trees. Who knew?
Someone should start an Oregon GasGas meet-n-greet ride. Mccubbins would be a cool place to camp/ride for that.
1974 XL125
Old 05-21-2014, 09:22 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jakobi View Post
MJC. Can you rip out some part numbers for the Kawi needles? I'm interested in trying one. Sounds like just what I'm after (or maybe a #8 slide.. mmm).
The W and J series are from a 99' KX250 and the H is from a 97' KX250. The "w" is 1/2 clip position richer the the "y". I start out with the same pilot and main that I would use with the Suzuki NExx needles. The #8 slide makes the Suzuki NExx needles super responsive, while mellowing out Yamaha's N3xx needles.

99' KX250 http://www.partzilla.com/parts/searc...TOR/parts.html

97' KX250
http://www.partzilla.com/parts/searc...TOR/parts.html
Old 05-25-2014, 08:05 PM

So the N3EG needle showed up and I put that in the bike to test. Started off in the #3 clip and ran her up and down our road. Not too bad, but I could tell it was a little rich on the transition from 1/4 throttle on.

Back to the garage and swap to #2; back out to test and that's the ticket. She still hits like a scalded dog - but it's not as bad as the N1EF needle that was in the bike. I could keep the front wheel on the ground and the roll on was much smoother comparatively speaking.

The CCK needle showed up yesterday and I haven't had a chance to test it yet - hoping to throw that in tomorrow and test the same settings that HRR has on his 250.

We'll see...have tomorrow to get it sorted better as we're all heading to the hills to ride next weekend
Old 05-27-2014, 03:51 PM

Put the CCK needle in @ #2 and it's a big step forward from the N3EG needle - not as hard a hit and the power is more manageable. The front end still paws for the sky if you get heavy handed, but it's not nearly as bad as it was with the N1EF and still better than the N3EG.

I also played with the idle screw and a/s settings and ended up with the a/s at 2.25 turns out. I think there's still some fine tuning to do there, but ran out of time.

This bike has the turbine core silencer and I was surprised to see a decent amount of drool coming out of the pipe after these short tests. Any ideas there? It doesn't feel too rich off the bottom, though given the a/s setting, I could drop a 38 PJ in (right?). It also has a slightly richer MJ if comparing to HRR's settings - could this be the source? I know we don't jet for spooge, but I'm interested in hearing potential causes

I also thought about testing the NECH I have on hand since I went with the NEDH needle in my wife's 200. MJC or Jake - any thoughts on testing that?
Old 05-27-2014, 04:04 PM
Super Moderator

I like the NEDW in my 250. Nice smooth power off the bottom that continues to build. It'll bring the front wheel up in 6th with 13/50 gearing.