Rieju & GasGas Legacy Riders Club Forum  

Go Back   Rieju & GasGas Legacy Riders Club Forum > General Forums > General Discussions & Announcements

General Discussions & Announcements General Announcements, General Questions, e.g. What bike do I buy?, etc.

Old 09-10-2007, 08:35 PM

Question Why no conventional fork option ?

Why is there no conventional fork option for the gasers ? Some of us are old enough to remember just how well a good set of conventional can be in the woods. IMO USD forks only really have an advantage over conventionals when landing from big air on the front wheel. Maybe we can suggest to GasGas to make conventionals an option ?

What do you think ?

Old 09-10-2007, 08:40 PM

In principle I agree. Off road - conventionals are superior. It's probably all in the numbers. I remember reading a story about Suzuki and them wanting to go back to conventionals but they'd signed a deal for USD's with Kayaba for 10 years.

The demand for USD's is greater so they'll be cheaper. A few years ago Gasser did offer an option.

'06 Raga Rep

(hopefully '08 EC200 & '10 TXT Pro 250 soon)
Old 09-10-2007, 09:07 PM
Gold Level Site Supporter

One of the problems with many conventional forks is the overhang below the front wheels axle plane which catches in deep ruts or on trail obstacles. Otherwise, thats the only draw back in my mind.

Huge thanks: GAS GAS OFFROAD US, Skagit Powersports, Cycle Gear, LTRacing, Scorpion Racing, users of GasGasrider.org, and CFMC!
Old 09-10-2007, 09:44 PM

I have an XR400 which has a complete Ohlins USD front end as well as the standard setup. Both forks are setup for my type of riding. I’ve has this setup for about 5 years. Many times I have swapped the conventionals for the Ohlins, hoping each time I’d stay with the Ohlins. They did cost a lot after all. But eventually I go back to standard. Others may find this crazy, but the standard racetech equipped forks are my favourites. The advantage of the standard forks is something you only really appreciate after about 3 to 4 hours of solid riding. The Ohlins are indeed stiff and that stiffness transfers are lot to the rider.
So what am I really saying…my ideal bike is probably a Gaser 300 with conventional forks.
Old 09-10-2007, 11:02 PM
Gold Level Site Supporter

My last GG was a '99 EC250 with the WP 50mm conventionals. They were incredible, and at slow speeds, or going over ripples in the ground, or roots, they were really nice, they even handled the big hits well, and did not flex. They also did not hang below the axle very far, not much more than my 300 that I replaced that bike with that has the Ohlins on it. The Ohlins have no equal. They, and the shock have been revalved by Les at LTR, and they are awesome. Better than the WP conventionals, especially as you increase your speed. This bike goes straighter over hammered terrain than any bike I've ever owned, well, check that, my Husky WR 400 was just as stable, but didn't have near the turning prowess, and wasn't even in the same century as far as boingers.
I am a big advocate of those WP conventionals, but I have one complaint in overall function, and it is small. The conventional design really should be used with some kind of fork boot, or fork skin to protect the sealing surface from caking up with junk. The problem with that is the fork bood actually affects suspension performance. When I took off the fork sliders and put on the fork boots (not cheap junk either). I had to spend significant time dialing the clickers back to where I wanted the suspension to work. A great fork, and if I could get a bike for $1000 cheaper with that fork on it, I'd do it in a heartbeat, but since it's not an option, and the Ohlins is the best fork in the business, I'd say relish in the fact that Gas Gas offers it as an option.

You know, as I'm writing this, I remember what a good bike that '99 was to ride. It's too bad bikes wear out, and people are so fickle when it comes to having the latest stuff, including me. I need a 2008 GG, TM, and Husky, and a new toy hauler, and a new 1 ton truck that rides like a car and gets 100 miles to the gallon.
OMRA #21AA
What will I be riding next? Christini GG 300?
'15 KTM 300 XC-W
'08 EC 250 (Gone to new happy owner)
Gran Prix Cycle
LTR Suspension
RB-Designs

Last edited by roostafish; 09-10-2007 at 11:03 PM. Reason: Mixed up words
Old 09-11-2007, 09:00 PM

I'm quite pleased with the '07 USD Zokes. I did an especially nasty, rocky enduro Sunday and the bike soaked up everything, with no deflection and no excessive harshness. I'd say this is the best fork/setup I've had yet. I did not feel beat up or have hand cramps after 70 miles of square edge rocks.