Rieju & GasGas Legacy Riders Club Forum  

Go Back   Rieju & GasGas Legacy Riders Club Forum > General Forums > Ride Reports

Ride Reports Tell us all the gorey details!

Old 06-05-2014, 05:49 PM
Platinum Level Site Supporter

Cool Mt. Scott Tee Pee Run Report

This would be the first time up for the Mt. Scott Tee Pee run and what a fantastic weekend of camping, hanging out, and riding! After hearing all about how much fun we missed last year from the GATRC (Grizzly Adams Trail Riding Club - LOL) crew, we decided to load everything and head up to McCubbins for the weekend.

I packed everything shy of the kitchen sink into the truck and also found room to squeeze our oldest in the back seat and we hit the road shortly after noon Thursday. Apparently, there were bets on when we would pull in and the early voters lost...lol.

Fortunately, the GATRC crew had arrived the day before to secure an outstanding camp site and spilled over into the adjoining site, so we were able to piggy back onto the GATRC overflow area (lol). Once camp was mostly setup and we were settled in, it was time to bust out the Oset and let our oldest take a few rips around the kids' practice area. There were some other folks already there, but nothing like what it would look like by the time Friday afternoon and then Saturday arrived.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YnosUTVOs8Y

Back from that quick excursion and it was time kick back around the fire and enjoy the perfect weather. The GATRC guys do camping food right. Actually, that's a total understatement - they're true artists when it comes to cooking whilst camping and this weekend outdoes anything I have ever experienced. Thursday night's fare was cedar plank salmon with all kinds of veggies - all cooked over the fire or coals. Talk about cast iron perfection. Also cooked up a grill cheese for our big guy as he's not quite to the salmon stage yet.

More hanging out and whisky consumption ensued post dinner and it couldn't have been better.

Old 06-05-2014, 05:50 PM

Friday morning came and it was essentially a repeat of most of Thursday. The rest of my crew wasn't arriving until late Friday afternoon, so we hung out, had an awesome breakfast, rode around the kids' practice area for a while, and simply enjoyed the day.

Once the fam showed up, everyone unpacked and I jumped on the opportunity to get out for a quick rip. A fast loop out and back, then it was time enjoy a couple of 14# turkeys off the smoker. Now, that's how you eat out in the woods!

Saturday arrived a bit too early, but that's how it goes...lol. Everyone up and the plan was to hit the family fun run. We had a great time riding the route laid out and didn't get lost once...lol. It was really cool to see all the different riders out on course, and especially all the kids - can't wait until our boys are old enough to do it with us. And check out the GG representation - all three of us on our Gassers!

Old 06-05-2014, 05:52 PM

Pretty much perfect timing once that was done, my buddy pulled in and joined the chaos in camp. Once he was unpacked, we decided to head out for another quick rip on the bikes.

After getting back, it was my mother-in-law's turn to get some time on her bike -which is just plain cool given she just started riding dirt last year. She did a bunch of laps with my wife in tow and had a great time.

More fun and kicking back ensued and then it was time for the highlight of the cooking adventure - all natural, grass-fed smoked prime rib off the Traeger. Talk about the perfect thing to do before the night ride - couldn't have asked for better sustenance prior to heading out on that rip...lol.

The night ride was a complete blast and I cannot wait to do it again next year. It would have been nice if my stupid headlight hadn't decided to die a couple miles into the ride, but thankfully, Jim and I were able to MacGyver it enough to get some light on the trail (wire snapped at the housing and a zip tie held it in place...just not as bright...lol). What an awesome time in the middle of the night; and so cool to see so many crazy light setups that people had.

Old 06-05-2014, 05:54 PM

We made it back without issue right after mid-night, then enjoyed a whisky to celebrate actually making it...lol.

The next morning definitely arrived too early, but we chowed some breakfast and enjoyed the morning. I was the only one from my crew doing the poker run, so I geared up and headed out with most of the GATRC crew and trask-rider. The course was a blast and had more switch-backs than I actually care to remember...lol. Although completely wiped out 10 miles before the end, I made it and ended up getting a lousy hand. Oh well, the course was fun and it was great to be out in the woods with such a great group of people.

Some video of the fun below Already looking forward to next year's running of the Tee Pee!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PnrT9fqGMPk

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=B1pgLL8CI20

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GwZ1aBMzds

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FdBCqh5Y_U4

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hBerAWW9wW8
Old 06-05-2014, 06:10 PM

Looks amazing, do you have to worry about bears though?

you ate better while camping than I do at home!
Old 06-05-2014, 06:50 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by paulos View Post
Looks amazing, do you have to worry about bears though?

you ate better while camping than I do at home!
Nah, no real worry about bears when riding around McCubbins. I'm sure there are black bears around the area, but my guess is they don't like all the noise since it's an OHV campground.

And I hear ya, I ate better that weekend than I do at home too...LOL. The guys I went up with seriously do it up every year - getting to be quite the cooking spectacle now I was just glad they invited me (and my whole family) to join in on the fun
Old 06-05-2014, 10:36 PM
Gold Level Site Supporter

Holy cow you have this down to a science! Completely jealous, I hope to be to this point in life one day. Excellent read, looking forward to watching the vids.
Old 06-06-2014, 08:21 PM

So cool Brad!

You guys had a sweet setup! What a fun long weekend. We'll have to join you for all of the festivities next year.

How'd the Gasgas newbies enjoy their new bikes?

Did you get a chance to ride the ec250? Any impressions?
Old 06-09-2014, 05:20 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by firffighter View Post
How'd the Gasgas newbies enjoy their new bikes?

Did you get a chance to ride the ec250? Any impressions?
You guys definitely need to come for the weekend next year - the night ride was the ride I enjoyed most. The compound we had was perfect for our boys to run back and forth between - it's really fun having such a big group to hand around with.

The GG newbs had a blast on their respective steeds; here's a shot of what my wife looked like after we attempted the family fun run (lol).

I didn't get a chance to ride my brother-in-law's 250 again - he was having too much fun. I'm sure when we have a chanced to hit TSF together that we'll swap; he hasn't ridden a 200 yet either. Given the huge grin he had after coming back from each ride, I'd say he's sold on it
Old 06-09-2014, 05:56 PM
Super Moderator

That food looks so good!! How'd you end up tuning the 250? Sounds like he's stoked with it! Can't blame him. Good times!