Rieju & GasGas Legacy Riders Club Forum  

Go Back   Rieju & GasGas Legacy Riders Club Forum > General Forums > General Discussions & Announcements

General Discussions & Announcements General Announcements, General Questions, e.g. What bike do I buy?, etc.

Old 12-08-2017, 07:18 AM
Platinum Level Site Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by gasgasman View Post
For sale 2015 GasGas XC250
Less than 100 hrs.
Great condition.
$5,000 obo.
Expertly maintained.
Included:
Smart Carb, Rekluse manual clutch, Magura clutch conversion, Obie Link Guard, SuperSprox sprockets, Unabiker radiator guards, Shortened FMF Q Stealth. Extra graphics set. TM Design chain guides, SCAR foot pegs.
4hrs on new top end and serviced rear shock. Suspension revalved-190lb rider.
Title in hand.
Shipping can be arranged-buyer pays shipping.

http://www.gasgasrider.org/forum/showthread.php?t=23088

^ This bike right here ^ Exactly what you want (need? ).

I have ridden an older KTM 200, and it was peaky and twitchy compared to my (dearly departed) 2011 EC300. Comparing the CRF230F to either the KTM 200 or a GG250/300 is comparing apples to elephants.

The 2011 GG chassis was allegedly the Premiere" configuration, but the earlier versions don't feel that much different (to me). My 2001 300 was pretty similar to my 2011 300, except the engine had different characteristics (E start on the 2011 and flywheel as well as carb and pipe were different between the two).

Riding my new-to-me Husqvarna WR125 (with the 165 kit) feels so similar to the 2011 GG, that I would say that yes, the pre-2012 GG250/300 chassis is similar to a 125 in ergonomics, and it's pretty similar to the early KTM 200. So regardless as far as sizing, there is nothing really between them.

But buy the 2015 250 posted above. You will NOT go wrong or have buyer's remorse.

Old 12-08-2017, 07:33 AM

Man, I'm only 5'8" and never felt my '05 250 was too tall or heavy. I ride a lot of flowy trails but also some hike-a-bike stuff and never noticed the weight being a problem. Of course, I did come off a KDX200, and those are just as heavy, but it felt much heavier than the Gasser even when dead lifting it. I assume that has to do with how the weight is carried much lower on the GG than the top heavy KDX. Having e-start on a 2T is nice but it's not nearly the necessity as with a 4T.

YMMV and IMO!
'11 EC250R
'98 KDX220
Old 12-08-2017, 07:49 AM

Thanks for the help guys. This is exactly what I was hoping for.

One question left unanswered: how's the reliability of the e-start? I've seen a few complaints in old threads about some of the earlier e-start models, but it looked like something that could be fixed with some shimming or something. I haven't seen anything like the complaints about KTM e-starts, so that's definitely a good thing.

Quote:
Originally Posted by (F5) View Post
Real easy to start a 200. Heck my 300 is pretty easy except the occasional stuck on side of hill. But that's hardly a common occurrence.
You're right. It's not that common, and usually not that hard. But when you're stalled out on a steep, off camber hill (downhill to your left, uphill to your right), and you can't reach your left foot to the ground, and even if you could, you can't kick it with your right foot since the ground gets in the way....

E-start is a LIFESAVER in a situation like that.

Quote:
Originally Posted by hadfield4wd View Post
At 5?10? seat height shouldn?t be a problem. You don?t need to ?flat foot? on both sides. When my son first started on a dirt bike he was 5?4 on a full size RM125.
Agreed, and being able to flat foot it isn't a requirement. But, being able reach the ground with some part of your foot with at least some amount of strength, without having to move your body so far that you lose your balance, is certainly helpful. Like if I'm on a steep, technical hill climb, and desperately trying to keep momentum, being able to throw a quick "dab" out to help make a course correction can help a lot. Versus on a bigger bike, I could still probably make that "dab" happen, but I'd have to shift my body weight so much that I'd almost certainly lose my balance and fall.

Quote:
Originally Posted by RBrider View Post
I'm the same height & weight as you, but 45 yrs older. OTOH, I've got about 45 more yrs of experience.

I have a plated '06 KTM EXC 450 & like it a lot, especially the reliable E start. But finally decided I needed a light weight , good handling woods bike. I found a '01 GG XC 200 and love that bike. IMO, it does everything that I want it to do well. I ride it mainly in WNC, but have done weekend rides in Kentucky, Michigan & Florida. It doesn't seem to care if it's hilly like WNC or Ky or flat & swampy, it just does a great job.

I still use the 450 as a dual sport ride.

No put down of your Honda intended, but a well tuned, older, 200 or 250 GG will out perform it in just about in way you could think of.

Sure, the E start is a bonus, but kick starting a well tuned GG is not a problem.

RB
If you find yourself up here and looking for a riding partner, let me know. Most of my time is spent in NC (Brown, Brushy Mountain).

And no need to worry about putting down the Honda! Haha. Because of the low seat height, E-start, very mellow power, and overall small size, I don't think there's a better bike on the planet for someone to learn how to ride offroad on. With just a tiny bit of investment into the suspension, it really is an excellent entry level bike.

And then, after learning the basics, it's still a great bike to really start to learn more advanced skills on. Because it's so underpowered, and because even a fully reworked suspension is still only 3/4 the size of a proper suspension, you're practically forced to become very proficient with the clutch, and carry more momentum into corners / hills, and be smarter when it comes to picking lines. In the end, I 100% believe that spending a couple years on this bike has made me a MUCH better rider than I would be if I would have started out on some sort of full size, 50 horsepower enduro bike.

But, all of that said, I ABSOLUTELY recognize that it has it's limitations. I used to be one of those guys that said it could do anything that any other bike out there could do. Then, I raced it a few times, including in an extreme enduro, and I realized that no matter how easy it might be to ride, it's not capable of doing the things a proper enduro bike can do.

So that's why I'm here, looking for something to replace it. Something to address it's deficiencies, without giving up too many of the things that make it an extremely easy bike to ride.

Quote:
Originally Posted by pscook View Post
http://www.gasgasrider.org/forum/showthread.php?t=23088

^ This bike right here ^ Exactly what you want (need? ).

I have ridden an older KTM 200, and it was peaky and twitchy compared to my (dearly departed) 2011 EC300. Comparing the CRF230F to either the KTM 200 or a GG250/300 is comparing apples to elephants.

The 2011 GG chassis was allegedly the Premiere" configuration, but the earlier versions don't feel that much different (to me). My 2001 300 was pretty similar to my 2011 300, except the engine had different characteristics (E start on the 2011 and flywheel as well as carb and pipe were different between the two).

Riding my new-to-me Husqvarna WR125 (with the 165 kit) feels so similar to the 2011 GG, that I would say that yes, the pre-2012 GG250/300 chassis is similar to a 125 in ergonomics, and it's pretty similar to the early KTM 200. So regardless as far as sizing, there is nothing really between them.

But buy the 2015 250 posted above. You will NOT go wrong or have buyer's remorse.
That's good to hear confirmation that pre-2012 GGs are at least similar in size to the small-frame KTM 200s. While I haven't ever ridden one of those KTMs, I have sat on them a few times, and it's definitely a size that I think would work well for me in the woods.

I saw that bike, and I'm keeping it in the back of my mind. But, I'm also actively talking with a member about another one that's posted for sale. Will keep y'all updated on what pans out.
Old 12-08-2017, 10:47 AM

I really don't see why the e-start is a factor in your decision. The GasGas or two stroke will light off pretty easy and the situation of stuck on a hill is rare in comparison to the extra weight of an e-start.

The Gas Gas motor is great for enduro riding and the jetting is not as finicky as the KTM's.
Old 12-08-2017, 04:13 PM
Gold Level Site Supporter

Compared to kicking a hot 4t,a 2t is a walk in the park.Also bumpstarts easier.In very awkward spot you can hop off and roll the kicker with your left foot.Often a halfkick is all you need if youre wedged in deep.Id say the button is very useful on a 4t,but for the most part unnecessary weight/complexity on a 2t (except for a second or twos time saving restarting from a stall/drop in a race situation)
Old 12-08-2017, 04:14 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SS109 View Post
Man, I'm only 5'8" and never felt my '05 250 was too tall or heavy. I ride a lot of flowy trails but also some hike-a-bike stuff and never noticed the weight being a problem. Of course, I did come off a KDX200, and those are just as heavy, but it felt much heavier than the Gasser even when dead lifting it. I assume that has to do with how the weight is carried much lower on the GG than the top heavy KDX. Having e-start on a 2T is nice but it's not nearly the necessity as with a 4T.

YMMV and IMO!
I didn't mention it earlier, but a KDX was also in the running alongside the KTM200 for what I was considering.

A good riding buddy of mine has a KDX, and it's definitely a little tractor. I've ridden it some, and overall liked it a lot. My biggest complaint was exactly what you just mentioned: even though it actually isn't any heavier than my 230, it felt as heavy while riding it as my XR4 does. It definitely didn't lend its hand to flicking around on a tight trail.

So it's good to hear that the GG is better in that aspect, even if the actual weight is comparable.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jim_C View Post
I really don't see why the e-start is a factor in your decision. The GasGas or two stroke will light off pretty easy and the situation of stuck on a hill is rare in comparison to the extra weight of an e-start.

The Gas Gas motor is great for enduro riding and the jetting is not as finicky as the KTM's.
It's not about how much harder or easier a 2T is to get started. It's about riding terrain difficult enough that makes it impossible to kick ANY bike if you get stuck on it.

I really need to post up my video from just last weekend that PERFECTLY illustrates why I want the button. When you're 99 yards up a 100 yard extremely steep and technical hill climb, with the bike stalled and turned sideways, and you on the uphill side trying to drag it the last 3 feet up. THAT is when the button is the difference between 10 more easy seconds and being up the hill, or having to go back down to try again, which may take 1 or 5 or 10 more tries to make.

You're completely right that 99%+ of the time, it doesn't make a difference. And me being fortunate enough to be healthy, kicking it over is no problem. But for that <1% of the time that it's just not possible, it potentially makes a HUGE difference.
Old 12-09-2017, 04:26 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sneaky98gt View Post

If you find yourself up here and looking for a riding partner, let me know. Most of my time is spent in NC (Brown, Brushy Mountain).

And no need to worry about putting down the Honda! Haha. Because of the low seat height, E-start, very mellow power, and overall small size, I don't think there's a better bike on the planet for someone to learn how to ride offroad on. With just a tiny bit of investment into the suspension, it really is an excellent entry level bike.

And then, after learning the basics, it's still a great bike to really start to learn more advanced skills on. Because it's so underpowered, and because even a fully reworked suspension is still only 3/4 the size of a proper suspension, you're practically forced to become very proficient with the clutch, and carry more momentum into corners / hills, and be smarter when it comes to picking lines. In the end, I 100% believe that spending a couple years on this bike has made me a MUCH better rider than I would be if I would have started out on some sort of full size, 50 horsepower enduro bike.

But, all of that said, I ABSOLUTELY recognize that it has it's limitations. I used to be one of those guys that said it could do anything that any other bike out there could do. Then, I raced it a few times, including in an extreme enduro, and I realized that no matter how easy it might be to ride, it's not capable of doing the things a proper enduro bike can do.

So that's why I'm here, looking for something to replace it. Something to address it's deficiencies, without giving up too many of the things that make it an extremely easy bike to ride.

Will keep y'all updated on what pans out.
I haven't ridden Brushy or Brown's yet, but would like to. We try to spend the summers in WNC, so you might be hearing from me. Maybe I'll bring along a couple other old guys that I ride with up in that area. My grandson, who's closer to your age, visits from out of state , he & I ride together too. He's rides my EXC 450 like it's 125 M/X'er.

RB
Old 12-09-2017, 02:06 PM

Thumbs up

Quote:
Originally Posted by RBrider View Post
I haven't ridden Brushy or Brown's yet, but would like to. We try to spend the summers in WNC, so you might be hearing from me. Maybe I'll bring along a couple other old guys that I ride with up in that area. My grandson, who's closer to your age, visits from out of state , he & I ride together too. He's rides my EXC 450 like it's 125 M/X'er.

RB
RB,
While I haven't ridden everywhere, I have been around quite a bit.
To me, Brushy Mtn is the best place to ride east of the Mississippi River. I've made the 800 mile trip from south Arkansas to Brushy several times, and have never regretted the trip. It's got everything from wide open fire roads to gnarly mountain single track.
One note, though: when it's wet, those red clay hills are super slick on the fire roads, especially the downhills.

Do yourself a favor and check out Brush as soon as you get a chance.
http://bmmspark.com/

Good Riding!
Jim

'11 Gas Gas EC250 (primary ride)
'06 Gas Gas DE300
2004 Gas Gas TXT300 Pro
'94 Husaberg FE350
'86 Yamaha IT200
'86 Honda TRL200 Reflex
'04 KTM 525EXC (soon to be dual sported)
Several others, including project bikes, Deb's bike, and a fleet of grandkids' bikes

Let's go riding!
http://www.jebruns.com/Wudi19/wudi19.html
http://www.ahrma.org/schedules-results/cross-country/
Old 12-09-2017, 02:55 PM

Thumbs up

Quote:
Originally Posted by sneaky98gt View Post

One question left unanswered: how's the reliability of the e-start? I've seen a few complaints in old threads about some of the earlier e-start models, but it looked like something that could be fixed with some shimming or something. I haven't seen anything like the complaints about KTM e-starts, so that's definitely a good thing.

-snip-

You're right. It's not that common, and usually not that hard. But when you're stalled out on a steep, off camber hill (downhill to your left, uphill to your right), and you can't reach your left foot to the ground, and even if you could, you can't kick it with your right foot since the ground gets in the way....

E-start is a LIFESAVER in a situation like that.

-snip-

Agreed, and being able to flat foot it isn't a requirement. But, being able reach the ground with some part of your foot with at least some amount of strength, without having to move your body so far that you lose your balance, is certainly helpful. Like if I'm on a steep, technical hill climb, and desperately trying to keep momentum, being able to throw a quick "dab" out to help make a course correction can help a lot. Versus on a bigger bike, I could still probably make that "dab" happen, but I'd have to shift my body weight so much that I'd almost certainly lose my balance and fall.

-snip-

-snip-

That's good to hear confirmation that pre-2012 GGs are at least similar in size to the small-frame KTM 200s. While I haven't ever ridden one of those KTMs, I have sat on them a few times, and it's definitely a size that I think would work well for me in the woods.

I saw that bike, and I'm keeping it in the back of my mind. But, I'm also actively talking with a member about another one that's posted for sale. Will keep y'all updated on what pans out.
Welcome to the forum!

To address your questions and insert my opinions, I'll try to answer you questions as they are grouped above.

The e-start needs an inexpensive ($50 for the part) mod to make it work great and be extremely reliable. There is a thread on the forum and linked youtube vids that will make it easy for you.

-

The seat foam is available from Guts Racing in three configurations; low, standard, and tall. I am 6' tall, with a 32" inseam, and I use the "tall medium" foam. The taller foam makes it easier (more leverage for my knees)
to get my butt off the seat and stand on the pegs. I can touch the balls of both feet at the same time on both the 2006 and the 2011.
The Guts foam is also available in three densities; soft, standard, and hard. The stock GasGas seat foam feels hard, but lets you feel what's under it too soon during a ride.

If the bike is still taller than you like, you can have a 7/8" spacer added
inside the shock and a 2" spacer inside the forks to take 2" off the travel, while keeping 90-95% of the suspension performance.
I did this to a bike for my grandson when he was riding the '00 XC200 I fixed up for him. It is also reversible when you want more. (Just have the spacers removed.)

-

The 200, 250, and 300 are all the same size, and will weigh close to the same (within 6#). Don't get hung up on the peak power figures in the literature.
I have always told people that:
1. The 300 is the lazy rider's mount. It has so much low end torque that you don't have to wring it out. Just short shift it and lug up the hills.
2. The 250 is the racer's bike. It needs a little more throttle to do what the 300 will do, but the engine feels a bit "more flexible" and revs up and down with less "fuss". You short shift and lug it also, and it is very smooth, but it doesn't give you more than you ask for when you get excited.
3. The 200 is smooth, and revs up and down with little top end torque effect; but you will need to add revs to get to the big power in the sweet spot. It has decent low end power, but doesn't have the bottom end (low revs) torque that the KTM 200s have. The good news is that it loves to rev and the power will not "sign off" and go flat like the KTM does at higher rpms. My youngest son regularly leaves me when riding his XC200.

-

I love Brushy Mtn. It's my favorite riding place east of the Mississippi River.

Good Riding to You!
Jim

'11 Gas Gas EC250 (primary ride)
'06 Gas Gas DE300
2004 Gas Gas TXT300 Pro
'94 Husaberg FE350
'86 Yamaha IT200
'86 Honda TRL200 Reflex
'04 KTM 525EXC (soon to be dual sported)
Several others, including project bikes, Deb's bike, and a fleet of grandkids' bikes

Let's go riding!
http://www.jebruns.com/Wudi19/wudi19.html
http://www.ahrma.org/schedules-results/cross-country/
Old 12-10-2017, 12:14 AM

Loved my 200.
But then had a ride on a mates 300. Didn't want to give it back. The 250 was too motorcrossy for my level of skill.
The 300 is probably a lazy riders bike. But it's perfect for me. Just did 99km some of it quite technical. And Brrraaap up the hills.

Went looking for my Forget the whales save the 2 stroke Tshirt last night Must be somewhere.
'22 765 Street Triple RS
'21 XTrainer
'69 Stinger T125 Suzuki
'23 TRS 250RR (it's a Trials thing)