Rieju & GasGas Legacy Riders Club Forum  

Go Back   Rieju & GasGas Legacy Riders Club Forum > GasGas Enduro Technical Forums > Enduro Suspension

Enduro Suspension Tuning & maintenance of Enduro forks, shocks, etc

Old 02-20-2008, 08:50 PM

Jeff, I think they have some seriously heavy duty programmers over there. You've done a great job on this site. Don't knock yourself out spending all of your time on it. You have to ride sometime.

It's an excellent site.

--Bill.

Old 02-20-2008, 09:09 PM

The Scotts/BRP tower kit comes with a nice steel cap thats shorter, so you don't have to cut the plastic one. What works well is adding an o-ring, with an OD the same as the cap ID and about 2mm thick. This seals real well and keeps everything out. My tower just barely clears the fitting. I use a stubby cap vent and plumb the trans/PV vent line to the frame fitting.
Old 02-23-2008, 04:39 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by GMP View Post
The Scotts/BRP tower kit comes with a nice steel cap thats shorter, so you don't have to cut the plastic one. What works well is adding an o-ring, with an OD the same as the cap ID and about 2mm thick. This seals real well and keeps everything out. My tower just barely clears the fitting. I use a stubby cap vent and plumb the trans/PV vent line to the frame fitting.

Yeah and if anybody needs one of those O-rings GMP is talking about I have about 100 of them in the garage that I had made when I put the metal cap on my 04.
Old 02-23-2008, 05:01 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Boomhauer View Post
Yeah and if anybody needs one of those O-rings GMP is talking about I have about 100 of them in the garage that I had made when I put the metal cap on my 04.
I ordered the Scott's cap yesterday. I'll take a couple of rings. It will save me some time looking for them.

Thanks, Bill.
Old 02-23-2008, 05:20 PM

Robby,

You had them made? Standard part I actually found in our stockroom at work. I should put together a list of suppliers I have used for o-rings, bearings, etc. with success in the past.

The Scotts tower will allow use of the frame fitting, if that matters. Something to think about if one shows up here or on ebay in the future.

FYI, the trans and PV vent through the same line. Hooking it to the frame fitting makes it just about as water/dust proof as you can get.
Old 02-23-2008, 07:10 PM

Quote:
FYI, the trans and PV vent through the same line. Hooking it to the frame fitting makes it just about as water/dust proof as you can get.
What frame fitting?
Old 02-23-2008, 07:37 PM

Quote:
What frame fitting?
Kidding right? The one that your gas cap came vented through that your GPR tower interferes with.
Old 02-23-2008, 07:40 PM

Quote:
Kidding right? The one that your gas cap came vented through that your GPR tower interferes with.
Actually I wasn't kidding. Why in the world run the PV and trans line to that?
Old 02-23-2008, 09:26 PM

Quote:
Robby,

You had them made? Standard part I actually found in our stockroom at work. I should put together a list of suppliers I have used for o-rings, bearings, etc. with success in the past.

The Scotts tower will allow use of the frame fitting, if that matters. Something to think about if one shows up here or on ebay in the future.

When I went to order from from Smackover they were out of them so I got the size from Jim and had them made for me. So I ended up with about 100 of them for under $10.

It is the same size o-ring that is used on the lower steering stem bearing. When used with the metal dust cover instead of the plastic cover it seals out al debris like you said.

Ud_Luz send me your address thru a PM and I will get two of these out to you this week.

Robby
Old 02-23-2008, 10:04 PM

Quote:
Why in the world run the PV and trans line to that?
Bill,

Because its a high, convienient (fitting) connection that vents into the frame. The main frame front downtube has a hole in the bottom plate. Dirt or water should never make it up the frame that far so its better than looping the line over the rad. I hit water crossings regularly so I pay attention to this when I set a bike up. Sorry, didn't mean to be a wise ass, just assumed that you realized it was there for a tank vent.

http://www.gasgasrider.org/gallery/d...mper_Tower.JPG

Robby,

We are talking about different things. The o-ring you refer to is the same as the lower T-clamp o-ring. I did what you did on both my '00 and '03 with the large bevel washer and o-ring replacing the plastic cap, like the older bikes. What I did on my '07 was use the Scotts steel cap that came with the tower with a thinner o-ring underneath. It seals between the cap and the edge of the steering neck tube. The o-rings you have will be too thick for this. I'll measure one and post dimmensions tommorrow. Not critical though, the metric or closest standard equiv. will be fine.

Either method works.