Rieju & GasGas Legacy Riders Club Forum  

Go Back   Rieju & GasGas Legacy Riders Club Forum > GasGas Enduro Technical Forums > Enduro Chassis & Body

Enduro Chassis & Body Enduro Frame, Plastic, Brakes, Bars, Controls, wheels, tires, sprockets & gearing.

Old 06-25-2011, 09:07 PM

Default Air filter access on electric start 2stroke's

It is hidious and GasGas should be ashamed to let the E-start 2strokes leave the factory like that. Im pissed evertime i have to do a filter. Not to mention i am blowing through filters that are tearing a tiny cut on top. I now know that it is the seat doing it and not the cage during installation. Originally i thought i was cutting the filters during installation because the fit is that tight!!!! And for anyone that has not done an air filter on an E start 2strone, i am not being dramatic about it. Gasgas welded a bracket in between the top subframe rails towards the rear fender. The battery sits in this bracket. Problem is that the battery bracket takes up almost all the normal area that u would use to intall the air filter. So now u only have a small square hole to squeeze the filter in and install it. I am disgusted with this area of maintaining the bike. I am considering looking into some type of way to modify the left side panel/airbox so that i can install the filter from the left side directly into the bike. Im thinking that with the right hardware and some careful cutting i could make some sort of hinged door with dzuz fasteners to do filter changes. I have trimmed my seat and i am hoping that the filters will not get the slit cut in them anymore. Ok ok u guys listened to me rant........now what do u suggest?
Old 06-25-2011, 09:38 PM
Super Moderator

Fair call bloke..

Mines not even got a battery in the airbox and its by far the hardest air filter I've ever had to install. The frame/filter setup offers some good sealing, but the lugs are challenging to locate at times. The angles etc to drop it in and get it on is an aquired skill. And just like you, my seat manages to eat a filter every 800kms even with me being cautious. Each filter change I take a bit more material off the seat hoping to find the magic point.

My seat cover has torn open on the bottom front edge where it meets the tank shroud, and my kick starter has sheered off. My rear brake hose chewed out part of the engine case.

I'm still happy with the bike, but I must say, I have had more issues and parts replaced under warranty with this bike than I did with my WR250F with 13,000kms on it.

Its fair to say Gas Gas is moving forward with refinements, but theres still room for improvement. I'd still buy another one though.. Everytime I ride it, it reminds me why I loves it!
Old 06-26-2011, 08:53 AM

I don't have the electric start... However I recall cursing at the filter after installing it in a KDX200.... The GG is a little easier. With the KDX, most of your filter oil ended up sqeezed out onto the frame and airbox surfaces. Oh, Jakobi, 42 pilot, NOZH, 160 main, 1 1/2 out on air screw ROCKS!
Old 06-26-2011, 07:20 PM
Super Moderator

Thats mighty lean on the main Bailey

NOZ and N1E are the same with NOZ being a half clip richer.. What clip you running the needle on?? I'm definately trying the N3EW after the head work, and may try the NOZI aswell.. So far N3CH #2 has been my best setup.

As for air filter access nothing is really perfect. The WR access through the side cover works well but can still leave doubt as to whether its located properly on the far side..

If you removed one of the side mount bolts and exchanged it for a quick release you might be able to tear the whole side off easy enough.
Old 06-26-2011, 10:10 PM
Gold Level Site Supporter

quick release like a dzus or something else?
Breaking more things by 8:00AM than most people break all day.
Old 06-27-2011, 01:56 AM
Super Moderator

Dzus quarter-turn fasteners
Old 06-27-2011, 09:04 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jakobi View Post
Fair call bloke..

Mines not even got a battery in the airbox and its by far the hardest air filter I've ever had to install.
Obviously you've never changed the air filter on a Honda CRF250X.
Old 06-27-2011, 11:37 AM

You guys are nuts trying to change the filter through the top. Remove the left side cover!

I removed the plastic rivet thing and put a threaded insert in the frame. I just take out my new screw and the fender/side cover screw. The rear fender stays in place. I flex the rear fender enough to slide the left side cover off.

If you want to rant about something, the right side cover is it! The way it overlaps the rear fender is stupid! The rear fender has to move out a half inch minimum to let the side cover come off. Totally retarded design!

I'm not a racer; I can see how a quick change would be more important to them.
Old 06-27-2011, 05:08 PM
Gold Level Site Supporter

I think that i have a few from the ducati, I will have to try to see if I can get it working, thanks for the idea.
Breaking more things by 8:00AM than most people break all day.
Old 06-27-2011, 06:49 PM
Bronze Level Site Supporter

I put a turn tech battery in my 07 300 and couldn't decide where to mount the battery.
I ended up drilling 4 holes in the seat base and threading some cable ties through.
The battery is light, is cable tied to the base of the seat and gives me no probs but all the room I would normally have for air filter changes.
I have the battery hard wired and therefore have another cable tie in a loop which hangs the seat off the right side of the bike whilst changing filters.You could always make a plug connection too.
Cheers Mark