Rieju & GasGas Legacy Riders Club Forum  

Go Back   Rieju & GasGas Legacy Riders Club Forum > GasGas Enduro Technical Forums > Enduro Electrical & Wiring

Enduro Electrical & Wiring Lighting, Ignition, Wiring, Plugs, etc.

Closed Thread

Old 11-02-2017, 01:35 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by webmaster View Post
Note that this is Rob's first post on the forum. This has gotta be the best first post of all time. :-)

Welcome!

jeff
Rob is the owner of Lang's Off Road in southwestern Ontario. He is a dealer for GG, Beta and Sherco.

Rob is also a skilled mechanic and an all around good dude!

Old 11-02-2017, 03:09 PM
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by JP4 View Post
Rob is the owner of Lang's Off Road in southwestern Ontario. He is a dealer for GG, Beta and Sherco.

Rob is also a skilled mechanic and an all around good dude!
https://langsoffroad.com/

I'll add a banner ad here for him when I get the chance....

jeff
Old 11-02-2017, 03:10 PM

Nice. That makes sense and is simple.

1999 GG EC 250 Six Days
1999 Cagiva Gran Canyon
2001 Aprilia Falco
2001 Triumph Speed Triple for my 20 year old
2000 GG XC250 for my 20 year old
2003 Honda Rancher 350 for the wife
Old 11-02-2017, 03:57 PM

I wonder how the cable size compares to the older bikes? The new cables must be a significantly smaller gauge (weight savings?). If the gauge is similar, maybe the direct grounding made the most difference.

Heavy cabling to prevent voltage drop is definitely important. The CDI may need improvement to enable a wider voltage tolerance (so it can function with a weak battery that still has enough charge to crank the engine).
Old 11-02-2017, 06:38 PM
Super Moderator

Great work everyone! I spun past the local dealers for a squiz at the new stock this morning and low and behold a solid press of the button had the starter cranking over hard and the bike not firing. 2 kicks later it lived!

My dealer thought the same thing re voltage draw from the starter pulling spark. I'll have to let him know the outcome..
Old 11-21-2017, 09:49 AM
Gold Level Site Supporter

Recall sent out. They ordered some cables for my bike, once they come in my bike will be dropped off at the dealer for the fix. Still find it amazing that GG never heard of this issue until LOTS more people jumped on the wagon. Then a customer actually figured it out for them. Not a lot of warm and fuzzy there at all.. But, whatever.. at least it'll get fixed once and for all.
Old 11-21-2017, 12:56 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by RobbieL View Post
I have found the solution! I believe the problem lies with the current draw from the starter is pulling the voltage down too low for the CDI to create a spark, I was getting no spark with the e-start, but good spark with the kicker. I changed out the main starter cables from the battery to the relay, then from the relay to the starter with 8 gauge cables, then ran an 8 gauge cable for the ground directly from the battery to the starter case. I'm now getting excellent spark & the bike starts perfectly on the e-starter. The mod took me less then an hour to do and about $5 in wire & connectors.

Rob

Lang's Off Road
Oh yea, what an awesome 1st post! Great job!

"If you stop eating donuts you will live 3 years longer. It's just 3 more years that you want a donut."
―Comedian Lewis Black

"I think best when I have a wrench in my hands." Soichiro Honda

"Dreams are messages from the deep."
-Unknown Sardaukar
Old 11-28-2017, 10:10 PM

Just thought I would repost this. I'm wondering if the factory has a fix for this yet? I read on a Facebook post that there has been a recall issued. Does anyone know if this is the case?
Thanks
Josh
Old 11-28-2017, 10:37 PM
Gold Level Site Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cox76y View Post
Just thought I would repost this. I'm wondering if the factory has a fix for this yet? I read on a Facebook post that there has been a recall issued. Does anyone know if this is the case?
Thanks
Josh
Yes, official recalls have been sent out. 1 for the clutch and 1 for the battery issue, which I fought with them for awhile on. Of course they never heard of it before then, and a person in this thread actually figured out the fix that GasGas is now using as the recall. My bike is currently at the dealer under the knife.. I'm busy for a few days so will go pick it up Friday and will report back how it went. My local dealer said they already did one and the results were good.
Old 11-29-2017, 06:45 AM

Hi mark,
Thanks for the info. What is the issue with the clutch. Is there anything official by gasgas for either issue? I can't see anything anywhere on official websites and my dealer I bought the bike from had heard nothing. This is the first new bike I have ever owned and I just want any identified issues fixed. I have not had the starter working since the day I got it. I'm happy to do the fix mentioned however I am a little concerned about any warranty issues that may arise.. I am in Australia but imagine any recall would be world wide..
Thanks
Josh
Closed Thread