Rieju & GasGas Legacy Riders Club Forum  

Go Back   Rieju & GasGas Legacy Riders Club Forum > GasGas Enduro Technical Forums > Enduro Electrical & Wiring

Enduro Electrical & Wiring Lighting, Ignition, Wiring, Plugs, etc.

Old 04-19-2017, 10:28 AM
Silver Level Site Supporter

Default Reg/Rec Help

I've got a '12 300. It originally had an e-start system on it but the original owner took it off to save weight. I'm not a good enough rider for the weight to matter, and I'd like to get it working again. I have all the components except a regulator rectifier. The wiring coming out of my stator is:

White - Goes to nothing. Open spade connection.

Yellow - Goes into a loom and disappears. I assume its supplying power to the headlight itself.

Red, Green, Black/Red, Red/White, All go into the CDI Unit. (a few wires come out of the CDI and go to an alternator regulator.)

Can anyone explain to me what type of Reg/Rec I need. Is there an OEM one? I don't see it anywhere on the parts fiche. (EDIT: Just found Part # EE51200GG-CAB-1 on MattoCycles fiche. for a 2015 Regulator. I'd rather not use it as that would necessitate a wiring harness made for it.)

How would I wire a standard 5wire Reg/Rec? Can I use a standard 5 wire unit?

Please be aware I know almost nothing about electrical. Assume I'm incompetent. I probably am. I'm of the belief that electrons are the devils playground.

Last edited by CDN Rick; 04-19-2017 at 12:02 PM.

Old 04-19-2017, 12:43 PM

I recommend you buy the correct GG part for a 2012.
EE512002510 voltage regulator/rectifier

If you have all the parts and the RR has been lost, you still should have the harness with the stock connector.

I was just working on a buddy's 2012 estart bike last weekend. The RR is the same as on my 2011 bike. 2011 is the first year for estart. Use Matto's dropdown menu and select 2011 electric start, then wiring harness and you will see the RR part number (item 9 in the diagram).

http://www.gasgaspartsguy.com/OEMpartfinder.htm

Matto's 2012 listing is for a standard non-estart bike.
The 2011 fiche specifically lists the estart parts.
Old 04-19-2017, 03:54 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Neil E. View Post
I recommend you buy the correct GG part for a 2012.
EE512002510 voltage regulator/rectifier

If you have all the parts and the RR has been lost, you still should have the harness with the stock connector.

I was just working on a buddy's 2012 estart bike last weekend. The RR is the same as on my 2011 bike. 2011 is the first year for estart. Use Matto's dropdown menu and select 2011 electric start, then wiring harness and you will see the RR part number (item 9 in the diagram).

http://www.gasgaspartsguy.com/OEMpartfinder.htm

Matto's 2012 listing is for a standard non-estart bike.
The 2011 fiche specifically lists the estart parts.

Unfortunately I do not believe the harness has a standard plug for the reg/rec. I certainly haven't seen it. And I'm not sure where to find it. It is possible the PO cut it off. But I haven't seen any cut wires.

I don't really trust much on this bike as parts of it were held together with wood screws when I bought it.
Old 04-19-2017, 06:28 PM
Gold Level Site Supporter

I pulled the e-start from my 12 250, made no changes to the harness.
You should have a 4 pin connector at the coil/cdi area. yellow, yellow/green stripe, white, red/black stripe.
Does it still have key switch that works?
Old 04-19-2017, 07:03 PM

Hamilton is correct on the wire colors. The connector is flat and measures about .25" x 1.5" in size. It is white plastic and plugs into the black RR socket.
Old 04-19-2017, 07:06 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by StubbornDutchman View Post
(a few wires come out of the CDI and go to an alternator regulator.)
Show us a picture of this device.
Old 04-19-2017, 07:19 PM
Gold Level Site Supporter

I think the part you are calling the alternator regulator (silver), is what your trying to install. I'm sure the previous owner was lazy like me and didn't change anything.

Last edited by hamilton; 04-20-2017 at 11:33 AM.
Old 04-20-2017, 07:20 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by hamilton View Post
I think the part you are calling the alternator regulator (sliver), is what your trying to install. I'm sure the previous owner was lazy like me and didn't change anything.
I doubt it. The original key has been removed. I've looked up both the part number for the 11-13 RR and the 14-17 RR and have not seen either of those parts on my bike. I'll try to check again tonight. I did however see a voltage regulator.

Quote:
Show us a picture of this device.
I believe it looked like this. I'll try to confirm that tonight.

I had the entire bike apart this winter and did a top end on the motor as well as greased every single bearing on the machine. I take good care of my bikes and know this one quite well. I'm pretty confident in saying that there is no RR on the bike at this moment. I'll try to get some photo's together of the wiring under the tank and you can see what I'm up against.

I've added an Emgo universal switch as I didn't have the OEM GasGas handlebar switch and didn't want to pay for a new one. It looks like this. I have it wired as a kill switch and it controls my headlight on/off. I intend to use it for a starter button as well. But none of this will affect my current problem.

Old 04-20-2017, 10:53 AM

That picture is a basic voltage regulator. It is used on non-estart bikes. It exists to clip your AC lighting voltage so the bulbs don't burn out.

The rectifier/regulator has a silver color (aluminum case). These are AC to DC devices so you have battery charging. This is the standard part on an estart bike.
Old 04-20-2017, 11:48 AM

Quote:
That picture is a basic voltage regulator. It is used on non-estart bikes. It exists to clip your AC lighting voltage so the bulbs don't burn out.

The rectifier/regulator has a silver color (aluminum case). These are AC to DC devices so you have battery charging. This is the standard part on an estart bike.
That is what I thought as well. So it would follow to reason that the PO did indeed completely switch out the system. Possibly even swapping the wiring harness. I'll check tonight and post pictures but I believe I am correct in my assumptions.

If I am correct I would like to wire a new RR in without changing the entire harness. Is that possible? Would anyone know what wires to connect to what if I had a 5 wire standard RR?

I'm beginning to wonder if the previous owner never actually had an Estart system on the bike but instead just purchased "most" of the parts required and told me that he had it all on at one point.....