Rieju & GasGas Legacy Riders Club Forum  

Go Back   Rieju & GasGas Legacy Riders Club Forum > General Forums > General Discussions & Announcements

General Discussions & Announcements General Announcements, General Questions, e.g. What bike do I buy?, etc.

Old 11-29-2010, 05:56 PM
Site Sponsor

Default 300 Six Days..Finally get to ride

Having been a dealer for several months I finally got some serious time in on that beautiful 300 Six Days. Our local club had a 2 day trail ride and I took the Gasser, a Berg FE450 and KTM 300 XC out for customers to test ride. There was no shortage of guys wanting seat time on all 3 bikes. Since the Gasser was new and my personal current ride I took it out first. Trails were slick from heavy rains on thursday but very ridable. I went out with a pretty fast group and was carefull but was able to keep everyone in tow and felt very comfortable right away. I love the low end of the engine and how smoothly it pulls off of idle. The handling is very quick..nible would be a good way to describe it. The Gasser goes about its business in a very different way than a KTM 300 does. I took my race bike out right after for a comparison and its so different but both bikes are very quick in the woods. I rode alot on Saturday switching off between bikes...man I cannot ride 4 strokes...not fast anyway. But I put most of my time on the Gasser and on Sunday I rode it exclusivly. By the end of the day I was feeling really good on the bike. I need heavier fork springs and I have to get that brake pedal height down even lower...I have this history with rear brakes and its not pretty. Overall I was really happy with a new bike I'm looking forward to racing. Everyone that rode the bike was very impressed with the engine and the handling. Also several very big and tall guys rode it they had no issues with the ergonomics. A very good Vet A buddy of mine rode it and we both agreed on the brake pedal and fork springs and he though with bar risers he would be very comfortable. He is at least 6'7 and very long arms and legs. He puts bar risers on every bike he races. I can't wait to tweak a few things and take the bike out again.

Old 11-29-2010, 10:49 PM

How would you compare the power between the GG 300 and the KTM? BTW CONGRATS!
Old 11-29-2010, 11:21 PM
Administrator

I would check the spring rate by measuring the spring (#coils + spring dimensions,, etc.) before deciding the front springs are too light. The marzocchi fork typically has a "free bleed" that will result in the rider experiencing alot of braking dive. This can make the front end feel too soft braking and unbalanced with the rear suspension even when the front spring rate is in the ballpark....

jeff
Old 11-30-2010, 02:51 AM

I had last Saturday the possibility to ride a TM Racing EN300.
The top end power feels similar to my GG EC300 but it has not so much torque from the bottom end to the middle.
The handling was very easy and nice to ride, you could realy feel the 5 kg difference.
All in all, I will stay with my GG, because other bike are not better, they are only different.
Old 11-30-2010, 03:57 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by dcg141 View Post
... I have to get that brake pedal height down even lower...
You will probably have to cut the thread shorter on the adjuster so you get more clearance. It is a common mod.
Old 11-30-2010, 05:40 PM
Site Sponsor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Keg View Post
You will probably have to cut the thread shorter on the adjuster so you get more clearance. It is a common mod.

I aready have..gota cut some more...I'm a rear brake monster..its a problem on everything I ride and its all my fault.
Old 11-30-2010, 05:44 PM
Site Sponsor

Quote:
Originally Posted by john01 View Post
How would you compare the power between the GG 300 and the KTM? BTW CONGRATS!
My 300 is more agressive but it has mods. Stock to stock they are close. The gasser has better bottom, the KTM revs quicker. Honestly is hard to find fault with either motor. I'm a real fan of 300 2 strokes. I'm not through with the Gasser yet..mods to come.
Old 11-30-2010, 05:47 PM
Site Sponsor

Quote:
Originally Posted by webmaster View Post
I would check the spring rate by measuring the spring (#coils + spring dimensions,, etc.) before deciding the front springs are too light. The marzocchi fork typically has a "free bleed" that will result in the rider experiencing alot of braking dive. This can make the front end feel too soft braking and unbalanced with the rear suspension even when the front spring rate is in the ballpark....

jeff
Looks like they are 4.2's I like a stiffer front end so gonna try some 4.6's. This bike is close...very close. I always tinker alot.
Old 11-30-2010, 06:54 PM

Thanks dcg141. My son may be asking me to ask you about your agressive mods on your GG. Care to list them? BTW we had to cut some of the brake bolt off on his bike.
Old 12-02-2010, 02:58 AM
Silver Level Site Supporter

The GG has 2 noticeable drawbacks, one is suspension and the other is jetting.
With a proper re-valve and the right spring rate, the bike is night and day.
I spent many hours getting my 08 suspension to work properly in the woods/jungles of Hawaii.
A friend has a stock 09 and I can't 10' down the trail without getting hammered to death and wanting to switch back.
Now another friend that also bought a 09 at the same time was smart enough to realize good suspension is paramount and sent his out to LT racing...I had a chance to ride his too and liked it.
The jetting was easy to figure out and really cleaned up the throttle response.
Just MHO