Rieju & GasGas Legacy Riders Club Forum  

Go Back   Rieju & GasGas Legacy Riders Club Forum > GasGas Enduro Technical Forums > Enduro Other...

Old 09-09-2006, 12:07 AM
Gold Level Site Supporter

Default Oil injection

Please, nobody shoot me, but how about this; Why do we not have oil injected off road two strokes? I just bought a 50cc oil injected quad for my son, and it doesn't smoke one bit at idle, and smoke is barely visible when he really gets on it. Wouldn't that be great?! I'd love it, if there was a little oil tank on my bike to fill and watch the level on, and just put straight gas in the tank, with the side benefit of less spooge dribbling out of the exhaust. Why not? What do you all think? The unit on my son's quad looks very simple, and it injects into the intake as it goes into the cylinder. I'll bet I could retro fit one, but would that make me a throwback to the '70s? I remember my dad's ancient yamaha 175 enduro with oil injection, and when I was a kid, I thought it was cheesy, my bike wsa cool 'cause I had to premix.
Old 09-09-2006, 04:54 AM

I wish too. Its probably going to make a comeback if 2T's have any hope of meeting emission restrictions. I read somewhere that one of the KTM 125 or 200's was coming with oil injection?? Can't find it now, so....
I remember the days when I got 600-1000kms out of litre of injection oil. I'll take the .02 of a HP loss and about 3lbs of weight for the convenience.
Old 09-11-2006, 12:00 AM

Oil injection has the advantage that when you run out of gas in the middle of nowhere you can blag some straight petrol from the local farmer.

Many people slag off oil injection which works just fine in zillions of road bikes everywhere. These old world closed minded people cannot accept the risk that the oil pump mechanism will continue to meter oil reliably into your precious engine.

When I discovered (just in time) that my oil level of my old DT200 was not going down -I became one of these people.

We meet on Tuesday nights.
Old 09-11-2006, 06:27 PM

Default oil injection

My '96 Yamaha Mountain Lite snowmobile works the same way. And it is very reliable. I hope GG is looking hard at all options to get around the epa's silly 2t restrictive rules.
'01 XR440
'09 FZ1
Old 09-12-2006, 03:46 PM

The oil isn’t the problem, the problem is when a 2 stroke isn’t in the tuned frequency of the pipe there is an awful lot of fuel getting short cct out of the engine & that unburnt fuel is what causes the tragic emissions.

I don’t think we are going to fix the problem here. All the promising designs haven’t come to anything so they (2-strokes) are fodder for the greenies as they are easy targets. But offroad bikes are such a small drop in the ocean I’m not about to start feeling guilty. The US consumes the most oil by far, but just wait as China kicks into gear & starts wanting everything the western world has had.
Old 09-12-2006, 04:54 PM

I agree with F5 on both counts.
Oil injection is an unecessary complication. What next a battery and starter motor? Pretty soon you'll want valves timed off the crankshaft.

The advantage of the 2T is simplicity, reliability, light weight and low maintenance costs. 4 strokes better serve the other end of the off road market.

I also agree with 2T being an easy target. Allows politicians to claim to be doing something while doing nothing because the main auto, aircraft and oil industry is too powerful. They wont get serious about green house gases until large numbers of americans are dying on account of them, and it'll have to be indisputable that it was greenhouse emissions too. Even then I bet interested parties will be saying it's unproven just like tobacco. So ... I'm enjoying my smoker in the meantime safe in the knowledge it's nothing compared to my next flight.

Cynical but sound reasoning?
Old 09-12-2006, 08:48 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by (F5) View Post
The oil isn’t the problem, the problem is when a 2 stroke isn’t in the tuned frequency of the pipe there is an awful lot of fuel getting short cct out of the engine & that unburnt fuel is what causes the tragic emissions.

I don’t think we are going to fix the problem here. All the promising designs haven’t come to anything so they (2-strokes) are fodder for the greenies as they are easy targets. But offroad bikes are such a small drop in the ocean I’m not about to start feeling guilty. The US consumes the most oil by far, but just wait as China kicks into gear & starts wanting everything the western world has had.

Bombardier makes 2t evinrude boat motors that meet all epa guidelines. In fact I think the epa gave them an award for clean engine design, something like that. They also use a semi direct injection design on their snowmobile motors that makes them very clean burning. The technology is out there to make clean burning 2t's.