Rieju & GasGas Legacy Riders Club Forum  

Go Back   Rieju & GasGas Legacy Riders Club Forum > General Forums > General Discussions & Announcements

General Discussions & Announcements General Announcements, General Questions, e.g. What bike do I buy?, etc.

Old 05-02-2007, 08:15 PM
Gold Level Site Supporter

Default Bad news for me.

My sponsoring shop of the past few seasons has decided to drop the Gas Gas line up, as another shop in our state did earlier this season.
The demand is not there and with the uncertain Gas Gas future, the owner does not feel he is able to do himself or the brand any good.
He cant afford to sit on their products or put bikes on the show room as they just don't sell. Then he has to clearance them out when the new models come out the following year and take a big hit.
I hear another shop may take over the line, but its not set in stone.

This really sucks as I feel very dedicated to my sponsor who has done great things for the sport and great things for me. I am truly at a loss and now wonder how my future will play out. Will I be on a Gas Gas in 2008?

I hope to be, but only time will tell.

Old 05-02-2007, 11:59 PM

Of course you'll be on a gasser. It's just a matter of perspective.

In northern Sweden where i live, not even the yakahonsu dealers have bikes on display. KTM/Husaberg, perhaps a bike or two...

It doesn't matter what bike we ride, parts need to be ordered in over a day or two.

You'll just have to make your own little stash of parts you are likely to trash when riding, like levers, chain, handlebars etc.
Old 05-03-2007, 08:43 AM

That sucks Roscoe. I hope its not a trend. The smaller dealers having to buy the bikes up front makes it tough. The guy I got mine from has a floor full of '05s he now has to dump. The larger muli-line dealers can afford to have a few bikes on the floor and feel it less if they sit. The importer change thing always seems to hurt during the transition, shakes confidence. Plus that initial MSRP scare and dealer revolt hurt as well. Now we have '07s at a more reasonable price but its late for bike shopping, especially if your a racer doing a whole series. Hopefully things will bounce back in '08.
Old 05-03-2007, 09:45 AM

Yeah, my dealer doesn't carry any new GG bikes and hardly ever sells one to order in. He sells more trials bikes. Most riders are caught up in KTM's in this area and they organize rides several times a year and have surprisingly good deals on bikes. So most riders want to be a part of that and when you meet these riders all you hear are shallow comments that KTM's are the best bikes(I like all brands, I choose what fits me). Although, the few riders who have come from other brands to GasGas swear they will never go back.
Old 05-04-2007, 09:47 AM

Thumbs up

Quote:
Originally Posted by REVERUP View Post
My sponsoring shop of the past few seasons has decided to drop the Gas Gas line up, as another shop in our state did earlier this season.
The demand is not there and with the uncertain Gas Gas future, the owner does not feel he is able to do himself or the brand any good.
He cant afford to sit on their products or put bikes on the show room as they just don't sell. Then he has to clearance them out when the new models come out the following year and take a big hit.
I hear another shop may take over the line, but its not set in stone.

This really sucks as I feel very dedicated to my sponsor who has done great things for the sport and great things for me. I am truly at a loss and now wonder how my future will play out. Will I be on a Gas Gas in 2008?

I hope to be, but only time will tell.

Patience REVERUP, I will not tip anyone's hand, but there is potential for a new GG dealer in Washington state that will do a great job with GasGas, that is all I will say for now. I'm not sure which dealer you were using, but I have heard of strong arm tactics by KTM for dealers to drop other brands or have KTM yanked. The future is not that grim.
Old 05-04-2007, 11:10 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by tm_enduro View Post
Patience REVERUP, I will not tip anyone's hand, but there is potential for a new GG dealer in Washington state that will do a great job with GasGas, that is all I will say for now. I'm not sure which dealer you were using, but I have heard of strong arm tactics by KTM for dealers to drop other brands or have KTM yanked. The future is not that grim.
I am aware of the dealer that may be picking up the Gas Gas line up. My sponsoring dealer has offered them the line. They do great demo rides and carry the more exotic brands of motorcycles. If there ever was a motorcycle shop that should carry Gas Gas motorcycles this is the shop!

That being said I still feel somewhat dedicated to the shop and owner that has done me alot of good in my racing endeavors the last few years. I hate to think that I may have to jump ship and possibly not get the kind of racing support I was receiving which has been very good to me.

Also, I do know, even if we end up with only one dealer in Washington, that doesn't mean it will be hard for me to get a Gas Gas. Thanks to the Internet the world is a small place. I see them crated all over the states and as far as parts availability the same thing, I don't and won't have a problem getting a Gas Gas or parts. I just wont get the local support I have counted on in the past. Which ultimately means this sport gets more expensive for me on the competition level. I know I just need to figure out what local sponsoring shop will help me or can I afford to become a Gas Gas privateer, if I can't I won't be Racing a Gas Gas next year. I will still own and ride one, just not race one.

I think the biggest hurdle may be the rumor that Washington will be adopting the California Green sticker/ Red sticker law for 2008. If so all 2008 and newer 2 stokes will be closed course only. I'm sorry, I love Gas Gas but if that is the case I would have to invest into a different brand of 4 stroke for racing, as Gas Gas don't even make a 250F and the FSE 450 is just to heavy for the tight terrain up here in Washington IMHO.
Anyhow over the next few months I will lean more and figure out which direction I will be going, right now my future is unclear, but for the rest of this season I am a Gas Gas Racer and am supported by Bill Cameron-Skagit Powersports, Les Tinius-LTRacing, and CycleGear. I could not do it with out these awesome company's and people. Thanks, Roscoe
Old 05-04-2007, 11:17 AM

Quote:
I am aware of the dealer that may be picking up the Gas Gas line up. My sponsoring dealer has offered them the line. They do great demo rides and carry the more exotic brands of motorcycles. If there ever was a motorcycle shop that should carry Gas Gas motorcycles this is the shop!

That being said I still feel somewhat dedicated to the shop and owner that has done me alot of good in my racing endeavors the last few years. I hate to think that I may have to jump ship and possibly not get the kind of racing support I was receiving which has been very good to me.

Also, I do know, even if we end up with only one dealer in Washington, that doesn't mean it will be hard for me to get a Gas Gas. Thanks to the Internet the world is a small place. I see them crated all over the states and as far as parts availability the same thing, I don't and won't have a problem getting a Gas Gas or parts. I just wont get the local support I have counted on in the past. Which ultimately means this sport gets more expensive for me on the competition level. I know I just need to figure out what local sponsoring shop will help me or can I afford to become a Gas Gas privateer, if I can't I won't be Racing a Gas Gas next year. I will still own and ride one, just not race one.

I think the biggest hurdle may be the rumor that Washington will be adopting the California Green sticker/ Red sticker law for 2008. If so all 2008 and newer 2 stokes will be closed course only. I'm sorry, I love Gas Gas but if that is the case I would have to invest into a different brand of 4 stroke for racing, as Gas Gas don't even make a 250F and the FSE 450 is just to heavy for the tight terrain up here in Washington IMHO.
Anyhow over the next few months I will lean more and figure out which direction I will be going, right now my future is unclear, but for the rest of this season I am a Gas Gas Racer and am supported by Bill Cameron-Skagit Powersports, Les Tinius-LTRacing, and CycleGear. I could not do it with out these awesome company's and people. Thanks, Roscoe
I will not belittle your concerns, fact is I agree with you. Bill helped me race GasGas in the early 90s and helped support my ISDE effort.

I must be out of touch, this is the first that I have heard of "stickers" and restrictions, do you have any links for me?
Old 05-04-2007, 02:34 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by tm_enduro View Post
I will not belittle your concerns, fact is I agree with you. Bill helped me race GasGas in the early 90s and helped support my ISDE effort.

I must be out of touch, this is the first that I have heard of "stickers" and restrictions, do you have any links for me?
I have heard these rumors through the grape vine for a while now. Not positive if it is going to be law yet, but it isn't sounding good. I'm sure we'll learn more about this as this year goes on. This post is in the Northwest column of Thumpertalk about the same issue. I hope it isn't so!

Here is the link to the thread
http://www.thumpertalk.com/forum/sho...d.php?t=502590

On an up note the Shelton Vally Enduro is this Sunday, looks like the weather will cooperate. Should be fun!
Old 05-04-2007, 03:10 PM

Quote:
I have heard these rumors through the grape vine for a while now. Not positive if it is going to be law yet, but it isn't sounding good. I'm sure we'll learn more about this as this year goes on. This post is in the Northwest column of Thumpertalk about the same issue. I hope it isn't so!

Here is the link to the thread
http://www.thumpertalk.com/forum/sho...d.php?t=502590

On an up note the Shelton Vally Enduro is this Sunday, looks like the weather will cooperate. Should be fun!
Ohhhh noooooo, this is not good kiddies!
Old 05-04-2007, 04:26 PM

Oregon was involved in Washington's state adoption of california clean air standards. Washington said they would adopt California Clean Air Standards if Oregon decided to "go CARB too" (CARB = California Air Resources Board that sets emissions limits in california). Washington passed the legislation. Governor here in oregon signed it a few months back.

http://www.leg.wa.gov/pub/BillInfo/2.../1397-S.PL.htm

It doesn't look like off-road vehicles are included in this bill... "for passenger cars, light duty trucks and medium duty vehicles"...

Here is Seattle P/I newspaper article....

http://seattlepi.nwsource.com/local/...issions09.html

Just a quick look, but it looks like it starts in 2009 and doesn't impact off-road vehicles...

jeff