Rieju & GasGas Legacy Riders Club Forum  

Go Back   Rieju & GasGas Legacy Riders Club Forum > GasGas Enduro Technical Forums > Enduro Other...

Old 09-22-2006, 06:28 AM

In the early '70s when I first started to ride, all the Jap 2-strokes were oil injected. Suzuki claimed to have the best system, "CCI", as it injected oil into the main bearings as well as the intake port area.

When I was 14 myself and a few friends all had Kawasaki 100s. We would ride as far as we could go in the NJ meadowlands. One time, a friends bike locked up on a dirt road miles from home. After looking things over it was found that the split throttle cable they used for the carb/oil pump had failed on the oil pump side. After this disaster, we all removed our oil injection and ran premix, like the European MX bikes we droolled over at the time. Oil injection disappeared from Japaneese MX bikes in the first wave of CRs, YZs, and RMs, the same time the first longer travel suspension appeared.

Old 09-27-2006, 04:58 PM
Super Moderator

Seems to be confusion regarding "oil injection" and "Fuel'injection" or "direct injection". I think the comment was referring to oil injections, like on the old bikes mentioned, not EFI, or direct injection which is a "modern" technology.

Oil injection is best left to scooters IMHO.
Old 09-30-2006, 03:04 AM

JTT, I agree and want to add to that thought. I think some folks out there are putting WAY too much hope in GG developing a direct injection or EFI system for 2T's that pass the emission standards. I would think if there is a chance of such a system being developed, you would have seen some glimpses of it from other companies by now at least secretly testing the stuff. I'd love to see GG come out with it, but I will be totally surprised if they do.

Oil injection systems will not let 2T's meet emmission requirements, that technology and problem are not related.

'13 Beta 300RR - race bike
'02 GG300XC - "Billie Baroo"
'01 DR650
'02 GG 280 Pro
'06 YZ 250
'07 WR450
'00 TT125RL
'94 YZ200 - custom keeper
Old 10-15-2006, 05:09 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hawkeye View Post
JTT, I agree and want to add to that thought. I think some folks out there are putting WAY too much hope in GG developing a direct injection or EFI system for 2T's that pass the emission standards. I would think if there is a chance of such a system being developed, you would have seen some glimpses of it from other companies by now at least secretly testing the stuff. I'd love to see GG come out with it, but I will be totally surprised if they do.
Oil injection systems will not let 2T's meet emmission requirements, that technology and problem are not related.
Is this enough of a glimpse ?
http://www.motorcycleworld.com/enthu...le.asp?id=2595
btw- direct injected 2T's have been in use for years in snowmobiles, outboards and PWC's. They did it for the power to weight ratio. Its just that the bike companies jumped on the 4T bandwagon a little too quick. My bet is on KTM being the first, unless Can-Am (Bombardier) decides to build bikes again. And they are testing the stuff already. They roadrace 125 & 250's and they don't even have a production 2T street bike. They also have the current 2T genious Harold Bartol working for them.
Old 10-15-2006, 06:50 PM

Thumbs up

Good find cdn280. I know it's not gonna happen tomorrow but I hope to see it or something similar in the near future. Very exciting. This is probly a dumb question but is BRP in the article the same BRP who makes triple clamps and other aftermarket products?
'01 XR440
'09 FZ1
Old 10-15-2006, 07:49 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by flybars View Post
Good find cdn280. I know it's not gonna happen tomorrow but I hope to see it or something similar in the near future. Very exciting. This is probly a dumb question but is BRP in the article the same BRP who makes triple clamps and other aftermarket products?
Nope, different BRP. This one stands for Bombardier Recreation Products which was a new division created to separate them from the main company that makes trains, planes etc. The atv part has also taken the Can-Am name back too.
Old 10-16-2006, 08:55 PM

They also make also make Ski Doo Snowmobiles. Which is what got the family bizz rolling.
Old 11-16-2008, 03:55 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MattR View Post
... and lasting for a total running time of 15 minutes with a recharge of 30 hours. Doh!
http://www.quantya.com/

^^ a little more than "15 minutes"
Old 08-15-2010, 07:12 AM

The only oil injected 2T I ever owned was a Kaw 100 in the mid 1970's and it scarred up the piston and cylinder. I suspected some failure of the oil pump. I don't trust oil injectors to this day. It can't fail if it doesn't have one. Or put another way, when was the last time a 2 stroke bent a valve trashed a camshaft and timing chain and and followers or rockers?