Rieju & GasGas Legacy Riders Club Forum  

Go Back   Rieju & GasGas Legacy Riders Club Forum > GasGas Enduro Technical Forums > Enduro Engine - 2 stroke

Enduro Engine - 2 stroke Cylinder, Piston, Tranny, Bearings, Clutch, Pipes & Silencers, etc.

Old 06-11-2015, 06:15 PM

Default Another oil in coolant thread....

Well, just like the other threads about oil in the rads, I too am a victim. Except, I'm wondering if it's from a base gasket leak that's allowing combustion gas and oil to enter the coolant jackets. See, I just installed a new base gasket on inspection of my top end. I left the head on, so the head leaking is potentially not the problem. There's no coolant in my bottom end oil. Any thoughts on if it's possible that it could be my base gasket? I accidentally torqued the base to 34 ft/lbs instead of 34nm.

Old 06-11-2015, 07:20 PM
Bronze Level Site Supporter

I had the same issue. Mine was due to a bad impeller seal. Actually the seal was okay, but the bolt that goes through the middle of the impeller was becoming loose and subsequently not holding the seal (seal located behind impeller) in it's proper position.

.......at least that what my 10' 300 was doing
2007 Beta Rev 3 270
2007 KTM 200 XC Wife's

Public Lands belong to the Public
Old 06-11-2015, 07:23 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by husley View Post
I had the same issue. Mine was due to a bad impeller seal. Actually the seal was okay, but the bolt that goes through the middle of the impeller was becoming loose and subsequently not holding the seal (seal located behind impeller) in it's proper position.

.......at least that what my 10' 300 was doing
That's what I though too and was the first thing I checked. The impeller is tight. However, I just order a water pump cover gasket, water pump seal, and a complete top end gasket kit. Between all of that, the problem should be solved (hopefully).
Old 06-11-2015, 07:52 PM

You know this is the only thing I did not check on mine. Just rebuilt the water pump and replaced the head gaskets. The water pump seals looked ok on visual inspection but then It could leak under pressure and you may never visually be able to see that. I recently rebuilt my top end and installed a new base gasket. I just can't see how it can fail in such a way to cause the 2 to mix. I had no water in my radiators
Old 06-11-2015, 09:15 PM
Super Moderator

Correct. A leaking base gasket won't allow oil to get in the coolant.

A leaking water pump seal will cause two issues.

1) Oil in the coolant is a result of the transmission oil being "sucked" into the coolant as the engine cools off.
2) Coolant in the oil-the pressurized coolant is pushed pass the water pump seal into the transmission.